1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply: Apr 17, 2013 7:30 AM by Matthew Morris RSS

I failed 1Z0-047 DB SQL Xpert, but can I proceed with 1ZO-052

Hi,

I am a Forms developer having being developing Forms for 10 years. Since there is no future in Oracle Forms, since Oracle has switched to Java to develop their own applications (like Oracle Apps, CRM etc.) it is clear Forms has come to end.

I wan't to switch to DBA. So I started to prepare for 1ZO-047, took the exam last week but failed. I got 64% when the passmark is just 66%. I only got 2 questions wrong to pass. I am very down and out.

However, I am not giving up my desire to be a DBA by doing becoming an OCA. My question is, now, can I do the
      1ZO-052 (11g Admin I) and pass that and then again do 1ZO-047 (or 1ZO-007 or 1ZO-051) and then certifiy myself as an OCA Admin???

Is it mandatory to take the tests in the order, i.e. like 1ZO-047 first and then only 1Z0-052??

Thanks & Regards
      I. Sharma
        • 1. Re: I failed 1Z0-047 DB SQL Xpert, but can I proceed with 1ZO-052
          bigdelboy
          998574 wrote:
          Hi,

I am a Forms developer having being developing Forms for 10 years. Since there is no future in Oracle Forms, since Oracle has switched to Java to develop their own applications (like Oracle Apps, CRM etc.) it is clear Forms has come to end.

I wan't to switch to DBA. So I started to prepare for 1ZO-047, took the exam last week but failed. I got 64% when the passmark is just 66%. I only got 2 questions wrong to pass. I am very down and out.

However, I am not giving up my desire to be a DBA by doing becoming an OCA. My question is, now, can I do the
          1ZO-052 (11g Admin I) and pass that and then again do 1ZO-047 (or 1ZO-007 or 1ZO-051) and then certifiy myself as an OCA Admin???

Is it mandatory to take the tests in the order, i.e. like 1ZO-047 first and then only 1Z0-052??

Thanks & Regards
          I. Sharma
          You can take the exams in whatever order you like, it doesn't matter.
          • 2. Re: I failed 1Z0-047 DB SQL Xpert, but can I proceed with 1ZO-052
            Philippe Ludwig
            I got 64% when the passmark is just 66%. I only got 2 questions wrong to pass. I am very down and out.
            I strongly recommend you taking the test again. You are so close. Maybe you are more lucky next time?

[1Z0-047 Oracle Database SQL Expert is a very complicated exam, I had much lower score]
            • 3. Re: I failed 1Z0-047 DB SQL Xpert, but can I proceed with 1ZO-052
              Matthew Morris
              IshantSharma wrote:
              I wan't to switch to DBA. So I started to prepare for 1ZO-047, took the exam last week but failed.
              I got 64% when the passmark is just 66%. I only got 2 questions wrong to pass. I am very down and out.
              Not that it helps much, but that may have been only a single question from passing by my calculations. There are less than 100 questions, so each counts more than 1%.
              You don't have to take *1Z0-047* at all. The exam 1Z0-051 will provide the SQL requirement for the OCA certification and is much easier. If you came that close to passing 1Z0-047, then the 051 test should be a breeze. I wrote an article comparing the two exams here:

http://www.gocertify.com/articles/oracle-sql-certification-1z0-051-or-1z0-047.html

That said, as Phillippe indicated earlier, you were very close to passing this exam. I do not, however, recommend taking it again and hoping you get "lucky". The exam score sheet would have shown all the areas where you missed one or more questions. Take a couple of weeks to go over those areas. You also should remember some of the questions that you weren't sure of (I normally do after taking an exam). Look those up specifically in the documentation.

I think you will be better off leveraging the study time you have already invested in this test in preparing for a second attempt than in switching to a completely different set of topics to study.
              • 4. Re: I failed 1Z0-047 DB SQL Xpert, but can I proceed with 1ZO-052
                I have a huge problem on taking the test again. My problem is, how can you do any revision?? I went through the 700+ page "SQL Certified Expert Exam Guide" by Steve O'Hearn, not once but twice. It's no point in going through it's questions again since I can remember them by hart. There are also no practice dumps available on the net for free download. I can't purchase practice dumps from Oracle since they are more expensive than the exam fees. So, I don't know how to get about it.

On the other hand I am seriously thinking about what matthew_morris said about doing the 1Z0-051 instead of the 047. Since my objective is to become a DBA, why concentrate on on becoming also an "SQL Expert".

Is there any official Oracle guide for 051, like the O'Hearn book?

Also, how long do you think one should take to prepare for the exam?? One month, 2 month??? How long is NOT good? Like 6 months or 7 months???

Also, do you think I should wait for Oracle 12c exams to come out, since 12c is out now? i.e. without doing the 11g exams.

Edited by: IshantSharma on Apr 9, 2013 11:30 PM

Edited by: IshantSharma on Apr 9, 2013 11:30 PM
                • 5. Re: I failed 1Z0-047 DB SQL Xpert, but can I proceed with 1ZO-052
                  Matthew Morris
                  My problem is, how can you do any revision??
                  Having taken the test, you have feedback on the areas you missed questions on. You can concentrate on studying these specific areas. Normally right after I've taken a test I will also remember at least some of the questions that caused me problems the day of the test. If you recall any questions you didn't know, you should be able to look them up specifically.
                  I went through the 700+ page "SQL Certified Expert Exam Guide" by Steve O'Hearn, not once but twice.
                  The Expert series of tests are intended to have some questions that are 'experience-based'. What this really means is that the questions are supposed to determine if you really have experience using a feature, not whether you have read about a feature. I've taken three Expert exams and I will say that they generally do a pretty good job of this in my opinion. Reading the documentation and Oracle Press books can help, but not intended to be sufficient. This test is not supposed to be passable by someone with no more experience with Oracle SQl than reading Steve's book. You haven't indicated your experience, so I don't know what your background is.
                  It's no point in going through it's questions again since I can remember them by hart.
                  I really like the Oracle Press series. That said, I have never felt the 'Self Test' questions in any of them were in any way like the questions you find on Oracle exams. They are not the portion of the book I would recommend concentrating on. Re-read the material in the chapters relevant to the sections in the test that you missed questions on.
                  There are also no practice dumps available on the net for free download.
                  If there were, they would be brain dumps and illegal for use. Concentrating on the questions is not the right method. Learn the material.
                  Since my objective is to become a DBA, why concentrate on on becoming also an "SQL Expert".
                  The SQL Expert exam is intended to show that you have worked with SQL long enough to become expert with it. Again, you have not provided your background, but I suspect that you have not worked with Oracle SQL for years and are not expert with it. If that is the case, 1Z0-051 is the exam you really should be taking.
                  Is there any official Oracle guide for 051, like the O'Hearn book?
                  There are any number of books available for 1Z0-051. Links to several are available at the following URL, along with links to other useful resources:

http://www.oraclecertificationprep.com/apex/f?p=OCPSG:EXAM_DETAILS:0::NO::P2_EXAM:1Z0-051

Also, how long do you think one should take to prepare for the exam??
                  It varies widely by the person. I wrote an article about the topic here:

http://ezinearticles.com/?How-Much-Time-Is-Required-to-Prepare-for-an-Oracle-Certification-Exam?&id=7204061

Also, do you think I should wait for Oracle 12c exams to come out, since 12c is out now?
                  12c is not out in production unless it's been recent enough that I missed the memo. Even after 12c is put into production, there will be some delay before the betas start for the certification exams. The beta period of the tests will last for about 14 weeks and then there will be a post-beta review of about 11 weeks before the production exam is available. While you could take the exam in beta, you won't get a score until a week or two after the beta has completed. Basically if 12 were released tomorrow, you wouldn't be able to become 12c certified for probably 30 weeks or more. Call it five months. Also, it will be a year or more before the number of companies using 12c becomes significant. As a general rule, companies are slow to change their production database. Few like being on the 'bleeding edge' of technology when they have a database with millions (or billions) of dollars worth of the company's data in them.

I would suggest certifying in 11G and upgrading to 12c when it comes out so that you have the best of both worlds.
                  • 6. Re: I failed 1Z0-047 DB SQL Xpert, but can I proceed with 1ZO-052
                    I have to say I have 10 years experience in Oracle development. But problem is, most of my work is in Forms & Reports. In real business applications the queries and sql statements seem to be very straight forward.

For example I got question like this for the exam. I remember it very well cos I never have seen anything like it. i.e. a From clause query in an INSERT.
                    INSERT INTO (SELECT seq_no, des x FROM abc_table WHERE 1=2)  VALUES (9, 'Svn');
                    Why on earth would anyone create a SELECT LIKE THIS?? This type of thing will never be used, in my opinion. What is the use??
                    Is it fair to give questions like this that has no relevance in real life?

Edited by: IshantSharma on Apr 10, 2013 9:32 PM

Edited by: IshantSharma on Apr 10, 2013 11:03 PM
                    • 7. Re: I failed 1Z0-047 DB SQL Xpert, but can I proceed with 1ZO-052
                      Also , could there be HUGE changed in architecture between 11g and 12c DB. I did some reading on this. In 12c there is feature called "Database as a service" and "plug and play". So if that is the case you think is better to wait, or as you said do 11g and then do the upgrade to 12c???

Edited by: IshantSharma on Apr 10, 2013 9:35 PM

Edited by: IshantSharma on Apr 10, 2013 11:03 PM
                      • 8. Re: I failed 1Z0-047 DB SQL Xpert, but can I proceed with 1ZO-052
                        Also, I have to say that in my 10 years a Forms developer, I (or any other unit in our organization who have their own Forms systems) have EVER needed the opportunity or real need to use these:
                        (1.) TIMEZONE DATATYPES (TZ with TZ, TZ with LOCAL TZ) or even TIMESTAMP
                        (2.) REGULAR EXPRESSIONS (not once we have had any requirement to use this feature)
                        (3.) INDEX ORGANIZED TABLES
                        (4.) SKIP SCANNING
                        (5.) CUBE, ROLLUP, GROUPING SETS
                        (6.) HIERARCHICAL QUERIES
                        (7.) MEDIAN, RANK, FIRST, LAST, GROUPING
                        (8.) NON-EQUQI JOINS
                        (9.) JOINING using "USING", NATURAL KEYWORDS (we always use column names)
                        (10.) Very very few use of co-related subqueires
                        (11.) DROPPING COLUMNS by making it UNUSED
                        (12.) FLASHBACK operations (only once did I use flashback to recover a table dropped by accident)
                        (13.) MERGE, multi-table INSERTS

Although we do very big systems (like Financial, payroll etc.) using Forms & SQL, 99% of what we use are the very regular stuff. We have no need for others since our requirements do not need it.

If you study, for example, REGULAR EXPRESSIONS, and be very good at it, but don't use it on a regular basis, then you are bound to forget it after a few months.

Like, who can by memory recall all the 20+ regular expression operators??

I like to know opinion of fellow forum members on this please?
                        • 9. Re: I failed 1Z0-047 DB SQL Xpert, but can I proceed with 1ZO-052
                          bigdelboy
                          >
                          If you study, for example, REGULAR EXPRESSIONS, and be very good at it, but don't use it on a regular basis, then you are bound to forget it after a few months.
                          you may forget them. I might not. And I'll look up what I need to when I think I need to.

>
                          Like, who can by memory recall all the 20+ regular expression operators??
                          Some geeks.
                          I like to know opinion of fellow forum members on this please?
                          I have used some of the features you mentioned above on occasion to extremely good effect to achieve results I could not have achieved otherwise.
                          • 10. Re: I failed 1Z0-047 DB SQL Xpert, but can I proceed with 1ZO-052
                            Matthew Morris
                            In real business applications the queries and sql statements seem to be very straight forward.
                            I agree. SQL is normally very straightforward. If Oracle Education created a test with a lot of questions about very straightforward SQL, it wouldn't take an expert to pass it.
                            Why on earth would anyone create a SELECT LIKE THIS?? This type of thing will never be used, in my opinion. What is the use??
                            Is it fair to give questions like this that has no relevance in real life?
                            I have seen SQL written in very bizarre fashions over the years. The worst isn't SQL that I have written myself, but rather legacy SQL from previous developers. I have spent significant amounts of time over the years parsing out SQL written by ham-handed developers trying to figure out why they wrote the SQL the way they did. If you are ever in a position like that, knowing all of the myriad ways that SQL can be written (and what happens when it is written that way) is very valuable.
                            Although we do very big systems (like Financial, payroll etc.) using Forms & SQL, 99% of what
                            we use are the very regular stuff. We have no need for others since our requirements do not need it.
                            What you are describing is SQL Fundamentals. You can use SQL for years without ever using advanced SQL. This is neither a problem nor an insult. I talk about the differences between the 1Z0-051 and 1Z0-047 exams in the following article:

http://www.gocertify.com/articles/oracle-sql-certification-1z0-051-or-1z0-047.html

One of the things I say in that article is: "In addition, a fair number of the ‘Expert’ topics are on subjects that even experienced SQL developers use only on rare occasions." The SQL Expert test is not for everyone. I see people on this forum and on others say 'Take 047 rather than 051 because you get a certificate for passing it'. That's not the reason to take this or any other test. Another of my articles where I give tips on taking Oracle certification exams is here:

http://www.gocertify.com/articles/oracle-certification-study-tips.html

In Tip#2, I suggest: "You should verify that it is one you want to take. Do the topics make sense for the job you do (or want to do)?". From what you are saying in this thread, the topics of the SQL Expert exam don't make sense for what you do. That's a red flag that this test is not one you need to take. If you feel like stretching your skills to include new areas, then that is one thing. However, it makes no sense to take the test knowing ahead of time that the topics were for areas that you did not use in your work, then complain afterward that the test included topics that you don't use in your work.
                            • 11. Re: I failed 1Z0-047 DB SQL Xpert, but can I proceed with 1ZO-052
                              Matthew Morris
                              Also , could there be HUGE changed in architecture between 11g and 12c DB.
                              I'm sure that 12c will bring about some significant new features. I seriously doubt that there will be changes that would affect more than 5-10% of the daily administration tasks.
                              So if that is the case you think is better to wait, or as you said do 11g and then do the upgrade to 12c???
                              My suggestion would still be to do 11G and then upgrade. However, I have already decided to write an article on this topic. Give me a day or two and I'll post a link to it in here with my full rationale.
                              • 12. Re: I failed 1Z0-047 DB SQL Xpert, but can I proceed with 1ZO-052
                                bigdelboy
                                >

So if that is the case you think is better to wait, or as you said do 11g and then do the upgrade to 12c???
                                My suggestion would still be to do 11G and then upgrade. However, I have already decided to write an article on this topic. Give me a day or two and I'll post a link to it in here with my full rationale.
                                If previous examples of the 11g DBA OCP and the 11 Solaris OCP are reasonable precedents; 12c DBA OCP via upgrade will be available considerably before 12c DBA OCP direct (proably 6 months or more, perhaps quite a few months more). The 1z1-060 (11g- >12c DBA OCP upgrade beta code has been on the Pearson VUE exam site for over three months .. and will therefore roll soon after 12c database is announced. I assume 1z1-062 will be the 1z0-052 beta equivalent ; and I doubt if that will be announced before 1z1-060 has come out of beta. Likewise 1z1-063 is likely to be the 12c beta 1z0-053 equivalent, and that probably wont roll until 1z1-062 is out of beta.
                                • 13. Re: I failed 1Z0-047 DB SQL Xpert, but can I proceed with 1ZO-052
                                  Matthew Morris
                                  Give me a day or two and I'll post a link to it in here with my full rationale.
                                  I decided to do this as a blog post. I have to do this more often. I like not having to wait 2-3 days for the editing staff to get around to proofing it.

http://ocprep.blogspot.com/2013/04/should-i-get-certified-as-oracle-11g.html
                                  • 14. Re: I failed 1Z0-047 DB SQL Xpert, but can I proceed with 1ZO-052
                                    Philippe Ludwig
                                    I decided to do this as a blog post. I have to do this more often. I like not having to wait 2-3 days for the editing staff to get around to proofing it.
                                    http://ocprep.blogspot.com/2013/04/should-i-get-certified-as-oracle-11g.html
                                    1 2 Previous Next