This discussion is archived
6 Replies Latest reply: Apr 9, 2013 4:57 PM by Avi Miller RSS

basic installation quest

user322357 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi all,
I am newbie, setting up an OL learning environment in VirtualBox.
I obtained the OL 6.2 Media Pack ISO from Oracle eDelivery, and installed into the VirtualBox VM
ISSUE: Upon login to OL, I see a limited number of RPMs, and some commands are missing (example, wget, nslookup).

QUESTION: Is this normal, and what is the best strategy for adding missing RPM's ?

The ISO that I used...
Oracle Linux Release 6 Update 2 Media Pack for x86_64 (64 bit) 6.2.0.0.0 B65700-01 DEC-21-2011

TIA,
KWest

~~~~
[root@ol1 usr]# rpm -qa *-release
oraclelinux-release-6Server-2.0.2.x86_64

[root@ol1 usr]# rpm -qa | wc -l

[root@ol1 usr]# df -Ph
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/mapper/VolGroup-lv_root 15G 2.7G 11G 20% /
/dev/sda1 485M 49M 411M 11% /boot
~~~~
  • 1. Re: basic installation quest
    Avi Miller Guru
    kwest2b wrote:
    QUESTION: Is this normal, and what is the best strategy for adding missing RPM's ?
    It's normal if you chose the "Minimal" installation option: it truly is minimal, i.e. just enough to boot. The best strategy for adding additional RPMs is to use http://public-yum.oracle.com. And in fact, your machine is possibly already configured to do so. I can't recall if we did this in 6.2 or 6.3. Check the output of:
    # yum repolist
    And see if the repos are already configured.

Also, we're already up to Oracle Linux 6.4. Is there any reason why you went with a version that old?
  • 2. Re: basic installation quest
    Dude! Guru
    A standard 6.2 server installation uses 1.7 GB for 612 packages. You have 2.7 GB using 227 packages? What did you install? I recommend to reinstall the system using the default, which is minimal enough and does not even include X Windows. Oracle Linux 6.2 does not install a yum repository. You can obtain it using the link shown in the previous reply. However, there is no reason to use 6.2 and you can use 6.4.
  • 3. Re: basic installation quest
    user322357 Newbie
    Dear Avi and Dude,
    Your kind replies are appreciated.
    The answers to your questions are...

1. The Veritas Storage Foundation media (~ 1GB) was copied to the filesystem of this VM, so that accounts for 2.7 GB instead of 1.7GB.
    2. The installation was performed from a virtual CD/DVD disk file and the ISO was obtained from eDelivery under Oracle Linux 6.2 x86_64, titled..."Oracle Linux Release 6 Update 2 for x86_64 (64 Bit) V29459-01 3.4G". This was the 1st line in the list of 4 downloads.
    3. The installation dialog did not present a choice for installation size. The installation dialog screens were as follows...
    - Main install menu (choose "Install or Update Existing")
    - Media test
    - Language selection
    - Initialize disks
    - Timezone selection
    - Set root password
    - Disk partitioning
    4. I repeated the download and installation steps with Oracle Linux 6.4 x86_64 today, with the same results (232 RPMs this time).
    5. Public Yum is working (repo file was missing on OL 6.2, and included in OL 6.4), but would prefer the full installation from the get-go vs. a one-by-one with Yum.

Outstanding questions...

Q1: Did I download and boot the correct ISO file for "full" install ?
    Q2: Where in the installation dialog is the "installation size" selection made ? (example: minimal, recommended, full)

Thank You,
    Newbie, coming along with a litle help from you guys :-)
  • 4. Re: basic installation quest
    Avi Miller Guru
    kwest2b wrote:
    5. Public Yum is working (repo file was missing on OL 6.2, and included in OL 6.4), but would prefer the full installation from the get-go vs. a one-by-one with Yum.
    Well, it's not one-by-one with yum: you can do a groupinstall to get a whole bunch (with dependencies). That's what yum is for. :)
    Outstanding questions...

Q1: Did I download and boot the correct ISO file for "full" install ?
    Yes.
    Q2: Where in the installation dialog is the "installation size" selection made ? (example: minimal, recommended, full)
    It should've asked you for a Install type, ie. "Basic Server", "Web Server", "Minimal" (there are more choices). The only options that actually provide a GUI are the Desktop options. Oracle Linux 6 by default has no GUI installed (and shouldn't, in my opinion, but you may have a different one!).Though, if you don't have enough RAM in your server or VM, the graphical installer doesn't start and it uses the text-based installer instead. Was the installer text-based or graphical? The text-based installer only installs the Minimal install set and doesn't provide the install type option. I believe you need at least 1-2GB of RAM available for the GUI to start during install. I know it doesn't start at 512MB and it does start at 2GB, but I haven't determine the exact value.

Though, I guess if the installer can't start the GUI for some other reason (incompatible video drivers or something) it may also just default to the text-based installer.
  • 5. Re: basic installation quest
    user322357 Newbie
    THATS IT!
    My VM only has only 512MB allocated and is therefore using the text based installer resulting in a "minimal" installation.
    Looks like my "little engine that could" will need a memory upgrade :-)

Thank you for pointing that out!
  • 6. Re: basic installation quest
    Avi Miller Guru
    kwest2b wrote:
    Looks like my "little engine that could" will need a memory upgrade :-)
    Or, leave it at 512MB and just use yum to install things like wget and nslookup. Or, bump up the memory for install and then reduce it again once it's installed. Lots of options!

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points