This discussion is archived
6 Replies Latest reply: Apr 11, 2013 6:44 AM by 864103 RSS

add disk

864103 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi expert ,

kindly we need your advice we have oracle 11g.2 ASM RAC under OL 5.6

and we have storage is 5.6 TB allocated for med database is 600 GB now we need more space
which option is batter expand space to our disk or add new disk

but i need to tell me is this action require downtime ??? due to we use ASM ???

can you please share with me a link ???
  • 1. Re: add disk
    User477708-OC Journeyer
    dont need downtime. add the nfs or disk, stamp it with asm, once youve created the asm disk, add it to your asm datagroup

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/B28359_01/server.111/b31107/asmwithem.htm#CIAEDBGF

asm rebalances automatically.
  • 2. Re: add disk
    864103 Newbie
    this link is good for me as a DBA , but now i'm asking for o.s level i mean the my database is take from the storage is 600 GB
    if i take more then 1TB is this require downtime add new disk or expand the existing one ??
  • 3. Re: add disk
    User477708-OC Journeyer
    theres nothing about the 1tb mark that will explicitly mean you have to take down a storage device. Some storage can be extended some needs rescanning where you need downtime. Depending on what you have youll have to take it down whether you want to extend by 1mb or 1tb. ie, if it needs to come down, it needs to come down

Ive had a storage guy extend a volume from a SAN, I rescanned the HBAs and no downtime needed on ASM.
  • 4. Re: add disk
    BillyVerreynne Oracle ACE
    861100 wrote:

kindly we need your advice we have oracle 11g.2 ASM RAC under OL 5.6

and we have storage is 5.6 TB allocated for med database is 600 GB now we need more space
    which option is batter expand space to our disk or add new disk
    That depends on your storage architecture and ASM diskgroup layout. Do you have spare space on existing disks? In what format? What sizes? How is the in-use space configured and how is it used by ASM?

For example, if the existing ASM diskgroup is high redundancy, 600GB of database space requires 3x600GB storage space.

If the existing diskgroup is a 2x500GB disks configured as external redundancy, then adding a 600GB disk will unbalance the diskgroup as the new disk is not the same size as the existing disks. Ideally 2x500GB disks need to be added instead to make 600GB available. Etc.

So it all comes down to WHAT you use as storage and HOW you use it. Which you neglected to mention...
    but i need to tell me is this action require downtime ??? due to we use ASM ???
    ASM enables you to rip out the entire existing storage layer and replace it with a brand new layer (from actual storage servers to fabric layer, to I/O protocol) - without a single second of database downtime.

So yes, ASM provides one with a rich set of features and functionality to manage the storage layer with as little impact as possible on the database layer. However, the actual impact depends entirely on what needs to be done to address the storage problem/change.
  • 5. Re: add disk
    Jan-Marten Spit Explorer
    "which option is batter expand space to our disk or add new disk"

i am 100% sure the answer is in the Oracle manuals.

it states that you should preferably ADD disks and not RESIZE them, although the latter is possible.

resizing is riskier. you could easily lose data if you make a mistake.

as always, there is no simple rule. it may be that your initial disk size is way too small to be practical. in that case you may want to 'resize' which you could do in various ways, like resizing the disks in an existing diskgroup, or creatiing a new diskgroup and copy the data.

as for the manuals: you realy, realy should read them. there full of important information, which may be a lot more trustworthy than the advice from forum folk like me :)
  • 6. Re: add disk
    864103 Newbie
    thanks all i get good idea .

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points