6 Replies Latest reply: Apr 11, 2013 6:17 PM by rp0428 RSS

Our Java application is built with java 1.4 version and oracle 10g

Our Java application is built with java 1.4 version and oracle 10g database, now we are in the process of upgrading the oracle 10g to 11gr2, so please let me know where to get ojdbc6.jar for our JAVA 1.4 version.

• 1. Re: Our Java application is built with java 1.4 version and oracle 10g
          EJP
          It may not even exist. You may have to upgrade Java as well. You should be doing that anyway, yours is 10 years old soon.
          • 2. Re: Our Java application is built with java 1.4 version and oracle 10g
            gimbal2
            EJP wrote:
            It may not even exist.
            It doesn't.

The question doesn't make sense anyway - what you want is a version of ojdbc14 which is compatible with Oracle 11g; OJDBC6 is for Java 6, not Java 1.4. That's what the number signifies. So OJDBC5 is for Java 5. Hurray for simplicity.

But there is no OJDBC 1.4 that is compliant with Oracle 11 and it will never exist too because Java 1.4 is dead and buried. The joke is however that it may just work should you make the terrible decision to keep using Java 1.4; I've certainly mistakenly used ojdbc14 connecting to Oracle 11g and it took me weeks before I figured out that mistake. But you're on your own and if something fails - you're stuck.

So really - upgrade Java. Its not as much misery as people want to believe it is, I've moved from Java 1.2 to Java 7 with all the version in between and I've never run into a situation where going up was a blockade; it only took misery away (better performance, less bugs, better API, better compatibility with current libraries, etc. etc.).
            • 3. Re: Our Java application is built with java 1.4 version and oracle 10g
              EJP
              Exactly. I've migrated from every version of Java there is since 1.1.2 and the only difficulty I have ever encountered resulted from the introduction of the 'enum' and 'assert' keywords: in fact zero occurrences of the latter and maybe three of the former (because I'm not crazy and I can see what is coming).
              • 4. Re: Our Java application is built with java 1.4 version and oracle 10g
                rp0428
                >
                Our Java application is built with java 1.4 version and oracle 10g database, now we are in the process of upgrading the oracle 10g to 11gr2, so please let me know where to get ojdbc6.jar for our JAVA 1.4 version.
                >
                The Oracle 11 drivers (ojdbc6.jar) do NOT support JDK 1.4. The Oracle 10 driver was the last one to support that ancient Java version.

See the official JDBC FAQ for charts showing the supported combinations of: Java, Oracle DB, Oracle JDBC driver.
                http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/enterprise-edition/jdbc-faq-090281.html
                >
                Which JDBC drivers support which versions of Javasoft's JDK?
                pre-8i OCI and THIN Drivers - JDK 1.0.x and JDK 1.1.x
                8.1.5 OCI and THIN Drivers - JDK 1.0.x and JDK 1.1.x
                8.1.6SDK THIN Driver - JDK 1.1.x and JDK 1.2.x (aka Java2)
                8.1.6SDK OCI Driver - Only JDK 1.1.x
                8.1.6 OCI and THIN Driver - JDK 1.1.x and JDK 1.2.x
                8.1.7 OCI and THIN Driver - JDK 1.1.x and JDK 1.2.x
                9.0.1 OCI and THIN Driver - JDK 1.1.x, JDK 1.2.x and JDK 1.3.x
                9.2.0 OCI and THIN Driver - JDK 1.1.x, JDK 1.2.x, JDK 1.3.x, and JDK 1.4.x
                10.1.0 OCI and THIN Driver - JDK 1.2.x, JDK 1.3.x, and JDK 1.4.x
                10.2.0 OCI and THIN Driver - JDK 1.2.x, JDK 1.3.x, JDK 1.4.x, and JDK 5.0.x
                11.1.0 OCI and THIN Driver - JDK 1.5.x and JDK 1.6.x
                11.2.0 OCI and THIN Driver - JDK 1.5.x and JDK 1.6.x

Please note that JDK 1.4 is not supported by the 11 drivers.
                • 5. Re: Our Java application is built with java 1.4 version and oracle 10g
                  jschellSomeoneStoleMyAlias
                  Alternative solutions.

- Create your own jdbc driver using, perhaps OCI.
                  - Create a 1.4 proxy driver that remotes to a proxy server. The proxy server runs 1.7 and uses the newest Oracle jdbc driver. Easier that the first one but you must then run another server (or many depending on existing functionality.)
                  • 6. Re: Our Java application is built with java 1.4 version and oracle 10g
                    rp0428
                    >
                    - Create your own jdbc driver using, perhaps OCI.
                    >
                    Huh?

Seems it would be easier to just use Oracle's ojdbc5.jar file since, as the data I posted shows, it supports everything.