This discussion is archived
10 Replies Latest reply: Apr 18, 2013 11:45 AM by Joe Weinstein RSS

Weblogic Migration, JDBC doesn't support XA issue

Vickram Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
We are doing Weblogic Migration from WLS10.3.2 to WLS10.3.6 and Java from jdk1.6.0_26 to jdk1.7.0_07

we are facing the following error for two modules which sends email but few other modules sending email are working fine :

javax.transaction.xa.XAException: JDBC driver does not support XA, hence cannot be a participant in two-phase commit. To force this participation, set the GlobalTransactionsProtocol attribute to LoggingLastResource (recommended) or EmulateTwoPhaseCommit for the Data Source = ABATDataSource
*[Wed Apr 10 08:40:03.069,<gzd4qc>] DEBUG (WorkRequestServiceImpl:sentEmailNotification) - Remote Exception occurred : javax.transaction.TransactionRolledbackException: BEA1-0020971AAD25AA29B1E3: javax.transaction.xa.XAException: JDBC driver does not support XA, hence cannot be a participant in two-phase commit. To force this participation, set the GlobalTransactionsProtocol attribute to LoggingLastResource (recommended) or EmulateTwoPhaseCommit for the Data Source = ABATDataSource*

In Weblogic10.3.6, if we change the Datasource --> Transaction from one-phase commit to Logging Last Resource,
this issue is getting resolved.

But all the modules were working fine with one-phase commit in Weblogic10.3.2

Could you kindly help us to fix this issue and problem in migration.
  • 1. Re: Weblogic Migration, JDBC doesn't support XA issue
    Vickram Newbie
    Could anyone please help us to resolve this issue.

Also we would like to know below attributes briefly,

1. Local Transaction

2. Global Transaction

3. One-phase commit

4. Emulate Two-phase commit

5. Logging Last Resource

If we change from one-phase commit to LLR will there be any impact ?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
    Vikram
  • 2. Re: Weblogic Migration, JDBC doesn't support XA issue
    Joe Weinstein Expert
    'local transaction' means there is one DBMS, and you start a tx (JDBC setAutoCommit(false)), do the work,
    then commit. 'Global transaction' means XA, with usually multiple DBMSes/resources in the tx, and a
    tx coordinator like WLS. The tx is started, work is done on multiple DBMSes/resources, then the tx
    coordinator does a 2-phase commit on all the resources. A non-XA resource can only one-phase
    commit (ie: you can only call commit). 'Emulate two-phase commit' is a hack to allow WLS to pretend
    a non-XA resource is XA, and do a fake prepare, then do the commit. This is a risk if the whole tx
    doesn't commit successfully. Logging Last Resource is an excellent way to engage one non-XA
    resource in a global transaction, with complete safety. The LLR resource is used for logging the
    XA transaction, and is committed as the first part of the second phase of the commit. As such it
    can be managed XA-wise whether that succeeds or fails.
  • 3. Re: Weblogic Migration, JDBC doesn't support XA issue
    Vickram Newbie
    Hi Joe,

thanks a lot for the answers

the issue is

We are doing Weblogic Migration from WLS10.3.2 to WLS10.3.6 and Java from jdk1.6.0_26 to jdk1.7.0_07

we are facing the following error for two modules which sends email but few other modules sending email are working fine :

javax.transaction.xa.XAException: JDBC driver does not support XA, hence cannot be a participant in two-phase commit. To force this participation, set the GlobalTransactionsProtocol attribute to LoggingLastResource (recommended) or EmulateTwoPhaseCommit for the Data Source = ABATDataSource
    [Wed Apr 10 08:40:03.069,<gzd4qc>] DEBUG (WorkRequestServiceImpl:sentEmailNotification) - Remote Exception occurred : javax.transaction.TransactionRolledbackException: BEA1-0020971AAD25AA29B1E3: javax.transaction.xa.XAException: JDBC driver does not support XA, hence cannot be a participant in two-phase commit. To force this participation, set the GlobalTransactionsProtocol attribute to LoggingLastResource (recommended) or EmulateTwoPhaseCommit for the Data Source = ABATDataSource

In Weblogic10.3.6, if we change the Datasource --> Transaction from one-phase commit to Logging Last Resource, this issue is getting resolved.

But all the modules were working fine with one-phase commit in Weblogic10.3.2

why i am getting this issue now in WLS 10.3.6 ?

can you please advise. thanks in advance.

Regards,
    K.Vickram
  • 4. Re: Weblogic Migration, JDBC doesn't support XA issue
    Joe Weinstein Expert
    increased safety checking in the later product. If you have only one non-XA resource, it is much best
    to set it as LLR.
  • 5. Re: Weblogic Migration, JDBC doesn't support XA issue
    Vickram Newbie
    Hi Joe,

Whether you are asking us to move to latest weblogic version ?

I have 4 datasources configured in weblogic for my application

The driver which we are using is "Oracle's Driver (Thin) for Instance Connections; Versions:9.0.1 and later"

Sample transactions in my application

One case

I will start a transaction and it gets connected to the Database through
    the datasource in weblogic server and then it updates the data into the database which was given from the screen

Another case
    I will start a transaction and it gets connected to the Database(2) through the datasource(2) in weblogic server and it
    reads the data from database(2) and then it updates the data(which was read) into database(1)

For the above scenario will LLR will fit .

If you have only one non-XA resource. means referrring driver - can u eloborate

i dont know this was working in weblogic 10.3.2

can u pls advice . thanks

Thanks and Reagrds
    K.Vickram
  • 6. Re: Weblogic Migration, JDBC doesn't support XA issue
    Joe Weinstein Expert
    There is no blockage from making either/both Oracle Datasources to be XA, by using the
    Oracle XA driver/datasource. As I'd said, it worked in earlier WLS because it didn't check as
    well, and you're lucky you never had a tx fail with half the stuff committed and half not,
    but if only one DBMS is being updated per tx, that would be safe anyway.
  • 7. Re: Weblogic Migration, JDBC doesn't support XA issue
    Vickram Newbie
    Hi Joe,

Will there be any impact if i use now LLR according to 2 above transaction cases ( One case, Another case )? ,instead of onephase-commit ( as onephase-commit is throwing issue in wls10.3.6 ) - pls advise.

I just checked now in WLS 10.3.6 , We have a new option in data source ( GridLink Data Source )

Generic Data Source: Drivers
    ============================
    -> Oracle's Driver (Thin XA) for instance connections; Versions:9.0.1 and later
    -> Oracles Driver (Thin XA) for RAC Service-Instance connections; Versions:10 and later
    -> Oracles Driver (Thin XA) for Service connections; Versions:9.0.1 and later
    -> Oracles Driver (Thin) for Instance connections; Versions:9.0.1 and later
    -> Oracles Driver (Thin) for RAC Service-Instance connections; Versions:10 and later
    -> Oracles Driver (Thin) for Service connections; Versions:9.0.1 and later
    -> DataDirect's Oracle Driver (Type 4 XA) Versions:9.0.1 and later
    -> DataDirect's Oracle Driver (Type 4) Versions:9.0.1 and later
    -> Other

GridLink Data Source: Drivers
    =============================
    -> Oracle's Driver (thin XA) for GridLink Connections Versions:11 and later
    -> Oracle's Driver (thin) for GridLink Connections; Versions:11 and later

Which is the best fit for my application considering the above 2 transaction cases ( One case , Another case )

If LLR is having no impact - shall i enable and use this ?

or

If GridLink Data Source can be used with Oracle's Driver (thin) for GridLink Connections; Versions:11 and later - - shall i enable and use this ?

or

I have to use Oracle's Driver (Thin XA) for instance connections; Versions:9.0.1 and later

Note : In WLS10.3.2 we were using ( one phase commit ) Oracles Driver (Thin) for Instance connections; Versions:9.0.1 and later

Please advise - it would be much helpful to us

thanks and Regards
    Vickram

Edited by: Vickram on Apr 12, 2013 12:58 PM
  • 8. Re: Weblogic Migration, JDBC doesn't support XA issue
    Joe Weinstein Expert
    Those are all the same driver, but the choices tell the console what to ask you regarding
    further details about the parameters. For now, most simply, just set all your Oracle
    datasources to XA, "Oracle's Driver (Thin XA) for instance connections; Versions:9.0.1 and later."
  • 9. Re: Weblogic Migration, JDBC doesn't support XA issue
    Vickram Newbie
    Hi Joe,

We have changed the driver to XA ( Oracle's Driver (Thin XA) for instance connections; Versions:9.0.1 and later )
    and we are getting the below issue in below case

CASE:
    the datasource in weblogic server and then it updates the data into the database which was given from the screen

Issue:
    Caused by: java.sql.SQLException: Connection closed
    at weblogic.jdbc.wrapper.JTAConnection.getXAConn(JTAConnection.java:213)
    at weblogic.jdbc.wrapper.JTAConnection.checkConnection(JTAConnection.java:84)
    at weblogic.jdbc.wrapper.ResultSetMetaData.preInvocationHandler(ResultSetMetaData.java:61)
    at weblogic.jdbc.wrapper.ResultSetMetaData_oracle_jdbc_driver_OracleResultSetMetaData.getColumnCount(Unknown Source)

Hence i think i cannot go for XA driver....

It is working for Non XA driver with Logging Last Resource

As per your note
    Logging Last Resource is an excellent way to engage one non-XA
    resource in a global transaction, with complete safety. The LLR resource is used for logging the
    XA transaction, and is committed as the first part of the second phase of the commit. As such it
    can be managed XA-wise whether that succeeds or fails.

Can i keep as LLR itself

Will there be any impact for my applications for below transaction scenarios ?
    One case

Another case
    I will start a transaction and it gets connected to the Database(2) through the datasource(2) in weblogic server and it
    reads the data from database(2) and then it updates the data(which was read) into database(1)

I am also using EJB 3.0 version ( transaction-type - Container and Bean. Session-type - Stateless )

Note the changes

Previous Datasources details
    X datasource points to a my db - Non XA driver with one phase commit
    Y datasource points to a other db - Non XA driver with one phase commit

Issue :
    [Wed Apr 10 08:40:03.069,<gzd4qc>] DEBUG (WorkRequestServiceImpl:sentEmailNotification) - Remote Exception occurred : javax.transaction.TransactionRolledbackException: BEA1-0020971AAD25AA29B1E3: javax.transaction.xa.XAException: JDBC driver does not support XA, hence cannot be a participant in two-phase commit. To force this participation, set the GlobalTransactionsProtocol attribute to LoggingLastResource (recommended) or EmulateTwoPhaseCommit for the Data Source = ABATDataSource

Changed Datasources details
    X datasource points to a my db - Non XA driver with LLR
    Y datasource points to a other db - Non XA driver with one phase commit

Working

Can you please provide ur advise . thanks

Thanks and Regards
    K.Vickram
  • 10. Re: Weblogic Migration, JDBC doesn't support XA issue
    Joe Weinstein Expert
    Glad it's working. Use the LLR, and as long as the other DS,
    the 1PC is read-only you're perfectly safe. As soon as you