This discussion is archived
9 Replies Latest reply: May 12, 2013 12:16 AM by 983790 RSS

Oracle VM 3 with SUN SERVER X3

heng Explorer
Currently Being Moderated
Dear All Experts,

Is it possible to run Oracle VM 3 with SUN SERVER X3 has only 2 hard disks using local storage?

If can, how to do it? please kindly share this experience?

Thanks and regards,
Vandy
  • 1. Re: Oracle VM 3 with SUN SERVER X3
    user11391721 Newbie
    My experience with 3.2.1 is that the base install essentially takes up the entire drive you install on. This is because when you try to mount local storage it requires the whole drive be available with no partitions.

That means your first drive with be for OVS and the second drive would be for the local repository. Doing it this way would result in no RAID groups so no redundancy.

It should be possible but wouldn't be recommended for anything but a PoC or development environment. It would be better to have those 2 disks as a RAID1 mirrored pair boot from and then mount some form of highly available shared storage for shared repositories.
  • 2. Re: Oracle VM 3 with SUN SERVER X3
    heng Explorer
    Thank you very much for your help.

I know exactly I have to separate disks for OS and Local Storage Repository since I have only 2 hard disks.

I have to configure RAID 1 for OS and no available external shared storage for Local Storage Repository, so Oracle VM (3.1.1) don't have method to install OS and configure Local Storage Repository on the same group Array (RAID 1)?

Please kindly give advice,

Thanks and regards,
    Vandy
  • 3. Re: Oracle VM 3 with SUN SERVER X3
    user11391721 Newbie
    If you only have 2 disks and you choose to mirror them then as far as I know you will not have any repository.

The only way I know of with 2 disks and no external storage is to dedicate one to the OVM & one to the repository and both will not have any redundancy.

Sorry.
  • 4. Re: Oracle VM 3 with SUN SERVER X3
    Avi Miller Guru
    Vandy_Kh wrote:
    Is it possible to run Oracle VM 3 with SUN SERVER X3 has only 2 hard disks using local storage?
    Sure. Get a USB thumb drive and install Oracle VM onto that. Set your X3 to boot from the USB drive. You can then use both internal disks for the repository (or create a RAID1 mirror and use that).
  • 5. Re: Oracle VM 3 with SUN SERVER X3
    user11391721 Newbie
    Booting to a USB-thumb-drive won't be a redundant OS mirror but that sounds like a good idea & that would be one way to do it. Solid State USB drives are likely more reliable than HDD but they do also fail (or maybe wear out & become read-only). Worst case you hopefully could just reinstall the OS on a new USB and your data would still be recoverable.

Speaking of adding disks, if the BIOS/MB supports it you may also be able to add a USB-3.0 HDD. USB-2.0 may also be an option but would be slower. For my Dev environment I added multiple USB-3.0 7200rpm 4TB drives and they give me some piece of mind and provide decent performance for backups for my Dev environment (I clone to them to give extra layer of back up).

I don't know if you can mirror 2 USB drives nor have I tried removing them and rotating them but both might be options (haven't though much about nor tried to do either yet).
  • 6. Re: Oracle VM 3 with SUN SERVER X3
    Avi Miller Guru
    user11391721 wrote:
    Booting to a USB-thumb-drive won't be a redundant OS mirror but that sounds like a good idea & that would be one way to do it.
    The OS doesn't need to be a redundant mirror: it's <4GB and those USB keys are cheap. Just install, configure and then replicate the USB key 2, 5, 10 times as you need. If the USB key fails, just replace it with one of your copies.
  • 7. Re: Oracle VM 3 with SUN SERVER X3
    heng Explorer
    Dear All,

Thank you very much for your idea.

All your idea are correct and very useful.

if I use USB (4GB) for OS and internal RAID (1) for Storage Repository , how about the speed of USB for transferring data? how about life time of USB?

Please kindly give advice for this.

Thanks and regards,
    Vandy
  • 8. Re: Oracle VM 3 with SUN SERVER X3
    GregoryG. Newbie
    Hi,

There is a RAID Controller in your X3-2 server, isn't it? The easiest way, in my opinion, would be to enter The LSI MegaRAID BIOS and create 2 RAID1 Virtual Disk from the same volume:
    - One of 5GB, or more depending you need space for kdump/crashdump, for the system and probably make it bootable
    - One with the remaining space for your local repository.

The system will see them as 2 different disks and you can, for sure, install Oracle VM on a 2 disk X3-2 server.

Best Regards,

-Gregory
  • 9. Re: Oracle VM 3 with SUN SERVER X3
    983790 Newbie
    I agreed with Gregory.
    That's how i deployed my VM 3.2.1 with Sun X3-2.
    From Raid controller create 2 virtual disks.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points