This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Apr 16, 2013 11:24 AM by 1003175 RSS

Oracle Database Express Edition 11g Release 2: Does not work in Windows x64

1003175 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi

I download a year ago oracle 10g and installed in windows7/64bit.
Then I messed up my computer. So I had to reinstall from scratch.
oracle 10g seems to be not available anymore.
Now 11g is available. But it says does not work in x64.
Can somebody explain this?
Thanks
Beat
  • 1. Re: Oracle Database Express Edition 11g Release 2: Does not work in Windows x64
    Udo Guru
    Hi, and welcome to the OTN forums!
    I download a year ago oracle 10g and installed in windows7/64bit.
    Now 11g is available. But it says does not work in x64.
    Well, in fact, 10.2 XE wasn't certified for x64 either, not even for Linux x64...
    11.2 XE has a Linux x86_64 release, and there has been an announcement that there'll be a x64 release for Windows as well, but it's not available (yet).
    There have been a lot of reports that people got 11.2 XE work on x64 Windows machines as well, with a few tweaks at installation time and/or afterwards...
    You'll find tons of posts on that topic when using forum search...
    oracle 10g seems to be not available anymore.
    Right, the official downloads have been removed after all database 10.2 releases fell out of (regular) support.

-Udo

Edited by: Udo on 15.04.2013 21:48
  • 2. Re: Oracle Database Express Edition 11g Release 2: Does not work in Windows x64
    clcarter Expert
    The architecture for the 11g Windows XE installer is x86, there is no win-x64 installer available.

If you want to try out 11g XE, with that host platform, about the only way to ensure it can work is set up a linux VM guest.

Try virtualbox.org it's pretty easy to use, pick your favourite linux distro, an x64 arch (pick one that is on the XE list ... or I can also confirm fedora 16 KDE Live .iso works fine too) http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E17781_01/install.112/e18802/toc.htm#CIHFEBGE

One thing on the VM guest, up be sure to specify that it is a linux 64-bit OS or the VM will not boot from the .iso for the install. But using a VM means no need to burn a boot DVD or CD, no messing up you desktop setup with a dual OS boot, and the other headaches that go along with that deal.
  • 3. Re: Oracle Database Express Edition 11g Release 2: Does not work in Windows x64
    1003175 Newbie
    Hi guys

Thanks for the feedback.
    The idea with the virtualbox installation and linux x64 seems to be a reasonable solution

Regards
    Beat
  • 4. Oracle Database Express Edition 11g Release 2: Does not work in Windows x64
    1003175 Newbie
    Hi guys

Thanks for the feedback.
    The idea with the virtualbox installation and linux x64 seems to be a reasonable solution

Regards
    Beat

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points