9 Replies Latest reply: Apr 17, 2013 6:33 AM by Mahir M. Quluzade RSS

Database Rolling Upgrades Made Easy by Using a Data Guard Physical Standby

DanielD
      Hi,

Database Rolling Upgrades Made Easy by Using a Data Guard Physical Standby Database
      http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/features/availability/maa-wp-11g-upgrades-made-easy-131972.pdf

After I've read above document, I've got a question.

Is it possible to perform maintenance operations on tables instead of upgrade (step 3. in picture) ?
      (Such as, reorganization of tables, indexes,etc).

Thanks.
        • 1. Re: Database Rolling Upgrades Made Easy by Using a Data Guard Physical Standby
          Mahir M. Quluzade
          Yes, you can do maintenance operations on tables and indexes on primary.
          Because your standby database opening max READ ONLY WITH APPLY.

Can you paste what you want? what is your task?

Mahir M. Quluzade
          http://www.mahir-quluzade.com
          • 2. Re: Database Rolling Upgrades Made Easy by Using a Data Guard Physical Standby
            DanielD
            No I don't want to perform these operations on Primary,
            I want to offload them do logical standby, Step 3. in the picture.
            At this stage (during the upgrade) redo apply from Primary is paused.
            The upgrade process changes the SYS schema (this is patchset upgrade i.e. from 11.2.0.2 to 11.2.0.3),
            so at this step is it possible to also move segments around?
            • 3. Re: Database Rolling Upgrades Made Easy by Using a Data Guard Physical Standby
              Mahir M. Quluzade
              DanielD wrote:
              No I don't want to perform these operations on Primary,
              I want to offload them do logical standby, Step 3. in the picture.
              At this stage (during the upgrade) redo apply from Primary is paused.
              The upgrade process changes the SYS schema (this is patchset upgrade i.e. from 11.2.0.2 to 11.2.0.3),
              so at this step is it possible to also move segments around?
              Step 3. Figure 1 in your documentation is upgrade step.
              I think, no on step 3., it is posible on after step 4.

Because after step 4. Database switch role to primary.
              • 4. Re: Database Rolling Upgrades Made Easy by Using a Data Guard Physical Standby
                DanielD
                Again, I don't want to do the maintenance operations(move segments, change application schema, install new PL/SQL objects) on live production system where users are.

If I wanted to do this on production I wouldn't need this document at all.

I want to use this guide not only for upgrade the database but also for maintenance operations (move segments, change application schema, install new PL/SQL objects).

----------------------
                2. Upgrade the transient logical standby. You can perform the upgrade procedure using upgrade scripts or by using
                the Database Upgrade Assistant (DBUA). Review the Oracle Database Upgrade Guide for the release and/or the
                Database Readme before any upgrade. Do not change the COMPATIBLE initialization parameter as part of the
                upgrade.
                Note: While the transient logical standby is running in OPEN MIGRATE mode, it rejects all redo logs the
                primary is attempting to transmit. These rejected logs will be resolved on the next start of SQL Apply.
                ----------------------

DBUA changes the SYS schema, can I also move segments, make changes to application schema?
                (Of course some considerations is needed when changing physical table structures ... some changes might not be possible to apply when standby is again synchronized using SQL Apply with primary).
                • 5. Re: Database Rolling Upgrades Made Easy by Using a Data Guard Physical Standby
                  Mahir M. Quluzade
                  DanielD wrote:
                  Again, I don't want to do the maintenance operations(move segments, change application schema, install new PL/SQL objects) on live production system where users are.

If I wanted to do this on production I wouldn't need this document at all.

I want to use this guide not only for upgrade the database but also for maintenance operations (move segments, change application schema, install new PL/SQL objects).

----------------------
                  2. Upgrade the transient logical standby. You can perform the upgrade procedure using upgrade scripts or by using
                  the Database Upgrade Assistant (DBUA). Review the Oracle Database Upgrade Guide for the release and/or the
                  Database Readme before any upgrade. Do not change the COMPATIBLE initialization parameter as part of the
                  upgrade.
                  Note: While the transient logical standby is running in OPEN MIGRATE mode, it rejects all redo logs the
                  primary is attempting to transmit. These rejected logs will be resolved on the next start of SQL Apply.
                  ----------------------

DBUA changes the SYS schema, can I also move segments, make changes to application schema?
                  (Of course some considerations is needed when changing physical table structures ... some changes might not be possible to apply when standby is again synchronized using SQL Apply with primary).
                  I think, if schema is not standby schema, thene yes you do object modifications on this schema.

Mahir
                  • 6. Re: Database Rolling Upgrades Made Easy by Using a Data Guard Physical Standby
                    DanielD
                    I'm not sure what do you mean by that statement.

In the beginning I have primary, and a physical standby.
                    • 7. Re: Database Rolling Upgrades Made Easy by Using a Data Guard Physical Standby
                      Mahir M. Quluzade
                      DanielD wrote:
                      I'm not sure what do you mean by that statement.

In the beginning I have primary, and a physical standby.
                      Then it is more easy,
                      1. Upgrade Physical standby,
                      2. Switchover to standby (standby changed role to primary - read/write)
                      3. Do cahges on new primary
                      4. Upgrade your new standby
                      5. Transport changes to new physical
                      6. Switchover again.

Did you want this? or ?

Mahir
                      • 8. Re: Database Rolling Upgrades Made Easy by Using a Data Guard Physical Standby
                        DanielD
                        I believe to upgrade (patchset installation into new ora home) you have to follow this guide to be able to do it ONLINE (While application users continue work OR with minimum interruption.)
                        in the physical standby data guard configuration. The data guard allows you to do this ONLINE.

My question, is whether I can also perform ONLINE maintenance operations such as (segment move, change table structure, install new PL/SQL objects)
                        using this guide.
                        • 9. Re: Database Rolling Upgrades Made Easy by Using a Data Guard Physical Standby
                          Mahir M. Quluzade
                          DanielD wrote:
                          I believe to upgrade (patchset installation into new ora home) you have to follow this guide to be able to do it ONLINE (While application users continue work OR with minimum interruption.)
                          in the physical standby data guard configuration. The data guard allows you to do this ONLINE.

My question, is whether I can also perform ONLINE maintenance operations such as (segment move, change table structure, install new PL/SQL objects)
                          using this guide.
                          Yes, you can do.