3 Replies Latest reply: Apr 19, 2013 4:03 PM by Pschwart-Oracle RSS

Rediscover hosts/management agents/etc after EM12c repository rebuild

BurmaShave
      Hello all,

I had to rebuild my EM12c repository database after considerable deployment to test and dev db servers.
      After the rebuild of the repository, I'm seeking a way to rediscover all of the remote management agents and the associated databases servers, listeners, etc.

I thought that running $OMAgent_home/bin/emctl upload agent would accomplish this, but no.
      Is there a way to rediscover the existing agents w/o having to stop/drop/reregister the hosts and databases, listeners, etc?

Any help is much appreciated. - thx.
        • 1. Re: Rediscover hosts/management agents/etc after EM12c repository rebuild
          Pschwart-Oracle
          How many 12c agents did you install that need to be rediscovered in the new new site?
          • 2. Re: Rediscover hosts/management agents/etc after EM12c repository rebuild
            BurmaShave
            11 physical hosts and ~45 instances. The rebuilt repository is identical physically and logically except for dbid and character set (the root cause of all this). Under the hood I'm certain there is much more of course...

Just to be clear - and this is relevant, this is not just a repository rebuild but a complete reinstall of the whole EM12c on a test server.

So, new EM12c and EM repository on host A and all same physically and logically... with numerous hosts/Agents scattered about.

What I want is for these remote agents to "phone home" and reregister w/ the new setup?
            The remote agents and associated config files are intact. Seems like it should be possible.

Thx in advance for any pointers.

Edited by: BurmaShave on Apr 17, 2013 8:26 PM

Edited by: BurmaShave on Apr 17, 2013 9:08 PM
            • 3. Re: Rediscover hosts/management agents/etc after EM12c repository rebuild
              Pschwart-Oracle
              In 12c the OMS is the source-of-truth for the agent state; your agents can't "phone home" because this is a brand new site so "home" no longer exists. While it's possible to redeploy the existing agents, it's simpler to just deinstall them and reinstall them from the EM console: Setup->Add Target->Add Targets Manually. If the agent is the only Oracle software installed then you can simply recursively delete the agent base directory and oraInventory. If there is other Oracle software registered in the Oracle inventory you will need to deinstall the agent using the Oracle installer (OUI).

Tip: take a file system backup of your OMS and repository immediately after verifying an out-of-box install so you can easily recover your initial state after testing and tweaking.