This discussion is archived
1 Reply Latest reply: Apr 18, 2013 1:37 PM by Dude! RSS

Would LVM help to include Windows partition in the setup?

asmirnov Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi

I figure the LVM was discussed in this forum more than once but I want to confirm one point that I have not come across.

I have a dual boot PC with Win7 and OL 6.4, where OL yet to be installed/configured.

I have a 500G single disk split equal between Win7 and Linux.
Win7 takes one partition 250G and other partitions (I am using UEFI with GPT table) will be Linux.

I am questioning if LVM will help me in the following scenario when I decide I don't need Windows any more.
In this case I am planning to delete the Windows volume and use the space within Linux. In this case would someone confirm that I NEED to have LVM in Linux, or I don't?
Or, I would be able to delete my windows volume in Linux and use it as I need in Linux without LVM?

One other concern that I have with LVM as I found one remark about shares, the post says "f you want to create a shared-data partition, it will have to reside outside of the LVM"
- does LVM really put any obstacles in having shares on your local network?
The post was here
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1586328
Would be great if someone would comment on this share point.

Thank you for the feedback.
  • 1. Re: Would LVM help to include Windows partition in the setup?
    Dude! Guru
    Currently Being Moderated
    LVM is standard and should be useful in your scenario, but it is not absolutely necessary. Resizing the root volume, regardless of LVM or not, is usually a complex task and requires some understanding of the various technologies. If you are not sure about it, I suggest to go with the default LVM installation. You are asking for too much general information here to be explained in detail.

People sometimes confuse file sharing with clustering. A cluster requires shared storage, which concepts and technologies are completely different from network file sharing. LVM does not affect your ability to share files using any network file sharing protocol.

Last not least, sorry, to mention this again, but your easiest solution is to run Windows in VirtualBox under Linux. When you decide you do not want to play with Windows anymore, simply delete the Windows virtual machine. There will be no partition resizing or fiddling with dual boot options required.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points