This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: Apr 26, 2013 12:54 PM by 839063 RSS

Java 7 update 21 breaks all existing JWS desktop shortcuts on windows

839063 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I just updated from 1.7u17 to 1.7u21 and all my Java Web Start shortcuts broke because I no longer have C:\Windows\SysWOW64\javaws.exe.

I can "reinstall" the web start apps or delete their shortcuts and re-create them and they work because they now point to C:\Windows\System32\javaws.exe.

Earlier in the Java 7 series I had all my shortcuts break because the opposite had happened. System32\javaws.exe disappeared and new shortcuts pointed at SysWOW64\javaws.exe.

What can I do to make these shortcuts more stable, short of not using web start?

System:
Windows 8 Pro x64
Java 1.7 update 21
  • 1. Re: Java 7 update 21 breaks all existing JWS desktop shortcuts on windows
    1004053 Newbie
    Broke for me too. How can Oracle's QA team not have caught this? This will cause heart ache for thousands of users. BTW, my shortcuts now refer to C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7\bin\javaws.exe. I'm running 64 bit Windows 7.
  • 2. Re: Java 7 update 21 breaks all existing JWS desktop shortcuts on windows
    gimbal2 Guru
    user4645665 wrote:
    Broke for me too. How can Oracle's QA team not have caught this?
    Well asking in this forum will not get you any answers since this is not Oracle technical support, it is just a user to user forum for programmers. Create a bug report if you must.
    This will cause heart ache for thousands of users.
    I seriously doubt that, Java is more popular for server and web environments where user icons do not matter.
  • 3. Re: Java 7 update 21 breaks all existing JWS desktop shortcuts on windows
    991686 Newbie
    We have the same problem every time an Java update is deployed.

We receive errors like "java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:\Users\<username>\AppData\LocalLow\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\6.0\61\56122c3d-737a9565 (Das System kann die angegebene Datei nicht finden)", (~"System is unable to locate the file"), as well as CouldNotLoadArgumentException[ Angegebene Datei/URL konnte nicht geladen werden: C:\Users\<username>\AppData\LocalLow\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\6.0\61\56122c3d-737a9565].

But if one looks into jcp (Java Control Panel), the application is listed as "installed application". And if you delete both links, in Programs and on the desktop (*because Java Web Start does not create not one of them if it finds just one of them*!) you can start over again and everything is allright, without the need to reinstall the application itselft.

Does one have an idea for a workaround?
  • 4. Re: Java 7 update 21 breaks all existing JWS desktop shortcuts on windows
    839063 Newbie
    What you describe, the java.io.FileNotFoundException, happens occasionally on Java updates to us. We see more often not from Java updates, but from 3rd party "cleaners" like CCleaner. In that case it seemed that the cached jnlp file being pointed to was no longer there. We have found the Java 7 web start to be more robust in this case. I have no suggestions on that.

The issue I am seeing is specifically the removal of javaws.exe from Windows\SysWOW64 on x64 versions of windows. Sometimes when the new or updated shortcuts are created, it points to Windows\System32, while on other systems it has picked the location of the JRE under Program Files.
  • 5. Re: Java 7 update 21 breaks all existing JWS desktop shortcuts on windows
    839063 Newbie
    As we continue to track this issue fixing customer reports of problems launching our Java Web Start application I have seen a few trends.

We are no longer getting reports from just Windows x64 users. Most of the recent reports have been on 32 bit Windows.

The broken shortcut always points to "Windows\System32\javaws.exe" or "Windows\SysWOW64\javaws.exe". After fixing the shortcut by re-installing or using the web start control panel it points to "Program Files\Java\..." or "Program Files (x86)\Java...". Occasionally on x64 the fixed shortcut will point at "Windows\System32\javaws.exe".

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points