This discussion is archived
11 Replies Latest reply: Apr 30, 2013 11:37 AM by KonradZuse RSS

Plans for JavaFX 8 now that Java 8 has been pushed March 2014 ?

1003746 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hello,

The short question is what will JavaFX 8 do, since now Java 8 has been pushed March 2014? Personally I think it would be a huge mistake to delay also Java FX 8 to the same date as Java 8.

That is, I don't know how closure are implemented undelying, if it's just a compiler stuff or something build into the language, nor if closure is being used in the new JavaFX 8 api.

The thing is, we need a version, that has printing, rich text, and other essential features for a decent application.

And if really, JavaFX 8 can be used with Java 7 then why, not switch focus to deliverying Java FX 8 this year and then let Java 8 for the next year?!.

Personally, I think if we would have this essential features of JavaFX, people would actually start developing some usefful applications, increase adoption by bussiness companies, and attract more interest from book editors. Don't get me wrong, but to stay, 1 year to have rich text, print support, etc.... is just not a good ideea.

Anyway, I'm curious if JavaFX 8 is tied anyhow to Java 8 or it can run also on Java 7, and if Oracle is at least considering the idea of releasing JavaFX 8 this year?

Regards,
subzero
  • 1. Re: Plans for JavaFX 8 now that Java 8 has been pushed March 2014 ?
    jsmith Guru
    if closure is being used in the new JavaFX 8 api.
    I don't think closures are used in the JavaFX codebase currently.

Closures can be used by JavaFX user application code running on a Java 8 preview, but that doesn't affect the shipping code in the JavaFX platform.
    I'm curious if JavaFX 8 is tied anyhow to Java 8 or it can run also on Java 7
    Currently, JavaFX 8 is actually built on Java 7.

Stuff in JavaFX 8 that depends on Java 8 can be found in this (currently open) task:

https://javafx-jira.kenai.com/browse/RT-27794 "Switch FX8 production builds to use JDK 8"

Included are things like a DatePicker control, printing and sorted and filtered lists.

-----

Your other questions I am not qualified to answer.
  • 2. Re: Plans for JavaFX 8 now that Java 8 has been pushed March 2014 ?
    1003746 Newbie
    Hi,

Currently, JavaFX 8 is actually built on Java 7. , great news.

Included are things like a DatePicker control, printing and sorted and filtered lists."

Maybe those feature can be pushed back to a 8.1 version or stuff like that. I'm just really hoping Oracle will deliver something new for JavaFX this year :)

Regards,
    subzero
  • 3. Re: Plans for JavaFX 8 now that Java 8 has been pushed March 2014 ?
    csh Journeyer
    Uh sad news. Read about it here the first time.

I've been really looking forward to have JavaFX 8.0 available in September. Just for bug fixes, more performance and maybe new features like TreeTableView.
  • 4. Re: Plans for JavaFX 8 now that Java 8 has been pushed March 2014 ?
    1003746 Newbie
    Hi,

Yeah me too csh, been waiting so long for, radio streaming, richt text and printing. Plus other stuff, like robot, 3D, and many other features that we are missing mentioning.

Still, let's wait and see, from my point of view, there is still a chance to deliver some features from JavaFX 8, maybe they do a 3 version ( :D ) , or just drop some features and gives a lighter version of 8.0.

Can't wait to see how the roadmap will modify to reflect adjustments.

Regards,
    subzero
  • 5. Re: Plans for JavaFX 8 now that Java 8 has been pushed March 2014 ?
    1003746 Newbie
    Hi all,

I just read this aricle http://jaxenter.com/security-woes-leave-java-8-delayed-46813.html ( sorry if it's considered doing advertising or something ) but I wanted to point out a thing to which I am agree.

+“How about dropping Applets and Webstart instead, if it is taking so much resource,” asked one. “A minority of people use it and it gives Java a bad name when in fact server and client side is super robust.”+

So the trend is to move away from browsers plugins, we can all see that. And plus, this plugin has been causing continous security problems.
    Adding the fact that (almost no one and I think no one ) uses applets anymore, java ee is successfull, and the client looks also successful why bother with this applets and webstart stuff...!?

I honestly see no point for webstart with native deployments. Anyway, not criticizing anybody/something just saying my personal opinion :)

Regards,
    subzero
  • 6. Re: Plans for JavaFX 8 now that Java 8 has been pushed March 2014 ?
    RichardBair Journeyer
    Hi,

We've discussed this issue on the openjfx-dev mailing list: http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/openjfx-dev/2013-April/007203.html
    subzero wrote:
    I just read this aricle http://jaxenter.com/security-woes-leave-java-8-delayed-46813.html ( sorry if it's considered doing advertising or something ) but I wanted to point out a thing to which I am agree.

+“How about dropping Applets and Webstart instead, if it is taking so much resource,” asked one. “A minority of people use it and it gives Java a bad name when in fact server and client side is super robust.”+

So the trend is to move away from browsers plugins, we can all see that. And plus, this plugin has been causing continous security problems.
    Adding the fact that (almost no one and I think no one ) uses applets anymore, java ee is successfull, and the client looks also successful why bother with this applets and webstart stuff...!?
    There are a lot of very large companies that rely on applets for various business functions. Some simple examples that you might run into as a consumer include Minecraft, Costco photo uploader, Webex, etc. And in the enterprise just about every large company has dozens of business critical applications based on applets. And WebStart usage is very widespread among Swing developers for very large business critical applications.

There is no way around it. Applets and WebStart are critical to many businesses, there have been exploits in the wild, and Oracle is committed to securing our products.
  • 7. Re: Plans for JavaFX 8 now that Java 8 has been pushed March 2014 ?
    1003746 Newbie
    Hi Richard,

My bad, I didn't know applets still play an important role in business. I have a ( lame :D ) excuse though, I just didn't see many applet application myself ( except for a math application, Apache Pivot demos and Swing demos ).

But then again, I wasn't obviously well informed about it, thanks for pointing it out.

Thanks for the useful link, I really do hope a solution is found so we don't have to wait until next year for the cool features of JavaFX 8.

Regards,
    subzero
  • 8. Re: Plans for JavaFX 8 now that Java 8 has been pushed March 2014 ?
    KonradZuse Explorer
    they said they might take out Lambdas which would be incredibly stupid. I made a post saying that I don't think Dev's will care about the increased frame time(even though I am developing a business application that uses 3D from Java 8).

WE NEED LAMBDA... If they get rid of it what's the point of even making Java 8? Also releasing FX 8 before 8 isn't going to happen, because it's all the same thing..... What's the point of naming it 8, if it isn't 8?

Java Applets are still in use, even though a ton of people dislike them. I just created one for a client, so people do still use them.

The thing is we cannot say "SCREW APPS ALREADY" because people can still make applets in 6 and 7. Oracle ALREADY SAID that VULNERABILITIES are THE MOST important thing right now.

@Mr. Bair I believe we need to continue with everything that should be shipped in the initial phase, and continue from there. WE only really need Lambda to make 8 something new. 3D api is already done, and it seems everything in Lombard is going well.

I think we should have the initial release to the public, and then maybe a few additional updates instead of just the Van Ness update.

I personally believe NO DEVELOPER is going to want a half-assed JDK, and we know Oracle will NOT disappoint us :).

Edited by: KonradZuse on Apr 19, 2013 11:17 AM
  • 9. Re: Plans for JavaFX 8 now that Java 8 has been pushed March 2014 ?
    1003746 Newbie
    Hi,

@KonradZuse so what choices do we have regarding using API from JavaFX 8 right now?

I am a bit fuzzy, because yesterday I've installed the preview JDK 8, opened an existing JavaFX project, and everything was sluggish, and I think it also had some repaint problems. How can we use that in a real application?

Am I missing something? Is it a difference between using OpenJDK built from sources and the preview release?

I ask this because you said you already use some features from 8, but considering my experience I am a bit amazed...

Also, I have never used OpenJDK for the simple fact that many Swing application don't work with it ( see rest client from google code, for e.g. ). So I have very limited knowledge about it.

Are the features from it tested, I mean the features that are added, is it stable, or just some untested prototypes?

Also from Richards' link, I deduced that new features are frozen for FX, and also no chance to release an intermediary version since javafx is considered a part from jdk 8 now.

But, still, JavaFX is already late, I think an year would be kind of fatal for a technology that is around for about 5 years, has been resurrected once and didn't had the chance to be widely adopted. ( excluding us Swing fans :D ).

I mean aren't we taking the risk (which is pretty high) that, if nothing new ships for an entire year for JavaFX, people will start forgetting about it slowly ?

Regards,
    subzero
  • 10. Re: Plans for JavaFX 8 now that Java 8 has been pushed March 2014 ?
    969523 Newbie
    subzero wrote:
    Interesting. We had a ScalaFX meetup here in Helsinki last week and one of the opinions was that "Web" should not even be on the JavaFX coverage. That in this day, HTML covers that and there is no more use case for Applets and Webstart. I kind of agree, and am relieved if such discussion does happen also within Oracle. Thanks for the quote.

Thanks also, Richard, for showing the other side.

Edited by: akauppi on Apr 30, 2013 6:57 PM
  • 11. Re: Plans for JavaFX 8 now that Java 8 has been pushed March 2014 ?
    KonradZuse Explorer
    https://jdk8.java.net/download.html

I don't know why you had issues, but a lot of people say that it's much much faster than 2.x

The preview release is the same if you get it from Oracle's site or OpenJDK. It's on Java.net.

Idk anything about OpenJDK's builds and swing.

3D is very very good, but there are bugs which we file and fix in jira.javafx

That is incorrect, features are still coming out on FX, and FX is a seperate project from JDK 8. In the comments section in the link someone makes a comment wanting FX 8 out before JDK 8 which I said is stupid because what is the point of the 2.x jump to 8 if it doesn't come out iwth jdk8?

What is late? A year in dev? FX 2.x has been out for a little over 2 years(October 2011) 1.x is basically another language, with a different purpose.

Also it seems as a swing fan you have some bias towards FX. As someone who left Swing for FX I will say that FX poops on swing. FX's setup and usage is much much easier than Swing, and it's much much more powerful than swing. FX is going to be open sourced( I believe Mr. Bair announced that) and that is why FX is not being hit by this "Security crisis."

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points