This discussion is archived
7 Replies Latest reply: Oct 4, 2013 8:55 AM by crispy8888 RSS

Oracle HS to ODBC represents DOUBLE and TIMESTAMP as garbled VARCHAR2

crispy8888 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi folks.

I have a 11g2 64-bit Windows Standard Edition installation running HS to ODBC.

I'm querying a table through the ODBC driver that has the following column definitions:
- TIMESTAMP(24)
- DOUBLE(15)

I can see this through any flavour of ODBC browsing tool. Plus the gateway appears to recognize this, based on the debug logs:

Entered hgopcda at 2013/04/18-14:40:05
Column:1(Timestamp): dtype:93 (TIMESTAMP), prc/scl:23/3, nullbl:1, octet:0, sign:1, radix:0
Exiting hgopcda, rc=0 at 2013/04/18-14:40:05
Entered hgopcda at 2013/04/18-14:40:05
Column:2(Value): dtype:8 (DOUBLE), prc/scl:15/0, nullbl:1, octet:0, sign:1, radix:0
Exiting hgopcda, rc=0 at 2013/04/18-14:40:05

With the particular ODBC driver I'm using, I have the following init.ora for my gateway:

HS_FDS_CONNECT_INFO = GATEWAY
HS_FDS_TRACE_LEVEL = debug
HS_FDS_FETCH_ROWS = 1

Fairly straightforward.

But when I actually select the values through SQL*Plus, the result is that all values are garbled.

For instance, I know that the DOUBLE column contains the double value 1.5. When I perform SELECT dump("ColName", 16) FROM "TableName"@dblink; I receive the following:

Typ=1 Len=8: 0,0,0,0,0,0,f8,3f

Whereas the DOUBLE value 1.5 should come back as:

Typ=2 Len=3: c1,2,33

SELECT "ColName" FROM "TableName"@dblink; displays in SQL*Plus as "°?", which is unusable. The TIMESTAMP data is even worse.

I'm really up against a wall; I have no idea what's going on here. I can leverage this ODBC driver perfectly well through Access, Excel, and other third-party ODBC tools.

But HS ODBC doesn't seem able to play well with the ODBC datasource, and instead just garbles all of the data, leaving it unusable for my customer.

Does anyone have any hints as to what might be going on, or some extra troubleshooting steps that I can undertake to figure out what's going on here?

I have setup other HS ODBC gateways without issue; I'm puzzled as to why I'm getting so much grief with this one.

Cheers,
-Chris
  • 1. Re: Oracle HS to ODBC represents DOUBLE and TIMESTAMP as garbled VARCHAR2
    mkirtley-Oracle Expert
    Chris,
    I assume you are using DG4ODBC. This converts the remote columns to an Oracle datatype depending on the information it gets from the ODBC driver being used. The ODBC driver will convert the datatype in the non-Oracle database to an ODBC datatype which it then passes to DG4ODBC.
    So, for example, if the non-Oracle datatype is 'timestamp' and the ODBC driver converts this to the ODBC datatype SQL_TIMESTAMP then DG4ODBC will convert this to the Oracle DATAE datatype.
    Similarly, if the DOUBLE datatype is converted to the ODBC datatype SQL_DOUBLE then DG4ODBC will convert this to the Oracle datatype FLOAT(53).
    This is detailed in the DG4ODBC documentation -

Oracle® Database Gateway for ODBC
    User’s Guide
    11g Release 2 (11.2)

in the section -
    Mapping ODBC Data Types to Oracle Data Types

Could you post the following information -

1. An ODBC trace and a DG4ODBC trace from the select of both columns so we can see how the conversion is being handled ?
    2. What is the full name and version of the non-Oracle database being accessed and the ODBC driver being used ?
    3. What is the non-Oracle create statement for the table giving the problem ?
    4. What is displayed in SQLPLUS for -
    describe "owner"."table_name"@hs_link
    - do not put a semi-colon at the end as it will give an error.

Regards,
    Mike

Edited by: mkirtley on Apr 19, 2013 2:17 PM
  • 2. Re: Oracle HS to ODBC represents DOUBLE and TIMESTAMP as garbled VARCHAR2
    crispy8888 Newbie
    Mike,

Yes, I am using DG4ODBC in this instance.

As to the non-Oracle DB information - this ODBC driver acts as a proprietary data access tool for aggregated data on an industrial backend; there's actually no RDBMS here to work with. That's one of my challenges. But as I noted, this driver is being leveraged by other client applications without issue. That certainly doesn't mean it's perfect - but I'm trying to track down what exactly dg4odbc is tripping up on so that I can feed it back to my Dev group so they can troubleshoot the driver.

Here's the table description that Oracle provides:

Name Null? Type

Timestamp VARCHAR2(16)
    Value VARCHAR2(8)

For some reason, Oracle thinks the columns are VARCHAR2 - which is probably a big part of the problem.

The trace file can be found at the link below.

[https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/20650363/GATEWAY_agt_11796.trc]

I'm getting nothing for an ODBC trace, for some reason, for any of my ODBC connections. I'll keep digging on that issue, but I thought I'd share what I do have for now.

Thanks,
    -Chris

Edited by: crispy8888 on 19-Apr-2013 07:11
  • 3. Re: Oracle HS to ODBC represents DOUBLE and TIMESTAMP as garbled VARCHAR2
    mkirtley-Oracle Expert
    Hi Chris,
    Thanks for the update and trace file.
    The Dg4ODBC trace shows the columns as -

Entered hgopcda at 2013/04/19-10:37:51
    Column:1(Timestamp): dtype:93 (TIMESTAMP), prc/scl:23/3, nullbl:1, octet:0, sign:1, radix:0
    Exiting hgopcda, rc=0 at 2013/04/19-10:37:51
    Entered hgopcda at 2013/04/19-10:37:51
    Column:2(Value): dtype:8 (DOUBLE), prc/scl:15/0, nullbl:1, octet:0, sign:1, radix:0

then -

DTY NULL-OK LEN MAXBUFLEN PR/SC CST IND MOD NAME
    91 DATE Y 16 16 0/ 0 0 0 0 Timestamp
    8 DOUBLE Y 8 8 53/ 0 0 0 0 Value

so it isn't clear why Oracle then dipslays these as VARCHAR2 columns.
    According to the gateway documentation the 'DOUBLE' datatype should be converted to 'FLOAT(53) and datatype 93 is SQL_TYPE_TIMESTAMP and not SQL_TIMESTAMP

We need to see the ODBC trace also to see what datatypes it is passing.

If you are using the ODBC Administrator screen to start the ODBC tracing then make sure tha you tick the box that says -
    "Machine-wide tracing for all user identities"

Could you also change the Oracle trace level to 255 instead of debug -

HS_FDS_TRACE_LEVEL=255

Regards,
    Mike
  • 4. Re: Oracle HS to ODBC represents DOUBLE and TIMESTAMP as garbled VARCHAR2
    crispy8888 Newbie
    Still working on the ODBC trace; I may have to check on Monday with the key developer on the ODBC driver as to why it's not logging when others are.

However, I've pasted the HS_FDS_TRACE_LEVEL = 255 trace file below in case it offers up any more clues. But like you, I don't think we'll know anything until we can get a decent ODBC driver trace.

[https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/20650363/GATEWAY_agt_10128.trc]

Cheers,
    -Chris
  • 5. Re: Oracle HS to ODBC represents DOUBLE and TIMESTAMP as garbled VARCHAR2
    crispy8888 Newbie
    FINALLY managed to get the ODBC trace. I was not aware of the bug/feature of Windows 7 that dumps your ODBC log to C:\Windows\Temp\SQL.log despite what you enter for a destination path.

ODBC trace for the issue above is here:

[https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/20650363/SQL.LOG]
  • 6. Re: Oracle HS to ODBC represents DOUBLE and TIMESTAMP as garbled VARCHAR2
    crispy8888 Newbie
    Here's the latest response from my internal Dev group on this issue:

----

This is dg4odbc using SQLDescribeCol to ask us about the Value column and we are telling it that it is a SQL_DOUBLE (8):

dg4odbcGATEWAY 2274-30dc EXIT SQLDescribeCol with return code 0 (SQL_SUCCESS)
    HSTMT 0x0000000003E2B960
    UWORD 1
    UCHAR * 0x000000000012EA20 [       5] "Value"
    SWORD 31
    SWORD * 0x000000000012EB14 (5)
    SWORD * 0x000000000012EB18 (8)
    SQLULEN * 0x000000000012EA9C (15)
    SWORD * 0x000000000012EB1C (0)
    SWORD * 0x000000000012EB20 (1)

It clearly recognizes that it is retrieving a double column because it then binds the column to a SQL_C_DOUBLE pointer (at memory location 0x05537320):

dg4odbcGATEWAY 2274-30dc ENTER SQLBindCol
    HSTMT 0x0000000003E2B960
    UWORD 1
    SWORD 8 <SQL_C_DOUBLE>
    PTR 0x0000000005537320
    SQLLEN 8
    SQLLEN * 0x000000000553CC68

It then uses SQLFetch to repeatedly retrieve each row of data. This trace unfortunately does not show what we are copying into the bound location at each fetch, but there is no reason to think that it is not the 8-byte double value that it should be.

--------

I'm really scratching my head on this one. Are there any other lower-level diagnostics beyond the ODBC trace and the HS trace that could help here?

-Chris
  • 7. Re: Oracle HS to ODBC represents DOUBLE and TIMESTAMP as garbled VARCHAR2
    crispy8888 Newbie

As a follow up to anyone experiencing the same issue, here's how we worked around it in our driver:

We observed from ODBC Tracing that when the Oracle Gateway for ODBC connects to the Microsoft Access ODBC driver it makes a series of calls to SQLGetTypeInfo before attempting to do any query.

The ODBC Trace from Oracle connecting to our ODBC Driver did not show any such calls. This was apparently caused by the fact that our ODBC Driver returned SQL_ERROR to a SQLGetInfo(SQL_MAX_PROCEDURE_NAME_LEN) call, indicating that it does not support procedures, which apparently caused Oracle to abort its initialization sequence altogether.

We adjusted the driver to “pretend” that it supports procedures and to return 256 to this call. After that adjustment was made, Oracle did in fact make the SQLGetTypeInfo calls that it apparently needs to do to learn type information about the driver. Subsequent queries successfully returned data with the correct types.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points