This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Apr 19, 2013 6:55 AM by Frank Kulash RSS

Large data spooling

1003986 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
1. Need to transfer about a GB of data from one Oracle database system to another on a daily basis. Does anyone see a problem with fetching that much of data using database link? If this is not a good option, what are my other options. We tried spooling the data and loading. That takes hours to complete
  • 1. Re: Large data spooling
    Justin Cave Oracle ACE
    That will depend entirely on the speed of the network. If you've got a fast network, there's no reason that transferring a GB of data would cause a problem.

Justin
  • 2. Re: Large data spooling
    Pleiadian Journeyer
    I sometimes need to replicate data from one database to another. The tables are identical in structure.
    truncate local_table;
    insert into local_table (select * from identical_remote_table@database_link);
    It is by far the fastest way to get data from one system to another.
    It depends on the speed of your network, indexes, triggers (! ) etc, but a GB of data is not much.
  • 3. Re: Large data spooling
    Frank Kulash Guru
    Hi,
    1000983 wrote:
    1. Need to transfer about a GB of data from one Oracle database system to another on a daily basis. Does anyone see a problem with fetching that much of data using database link? If this is not a good option, what are my other options. We tried spooling the data and loading. That takes hours to complete
    Are you copying entire tables? If so, you might consider a transportable tablespace.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points