14 Replies Latest reply on Apr 29, 2013 4:59 PM by jgarry

Basic questions

Manik
      Eager to know, when did this forum start..?
      Is Tom also involved here?

How many gurus and experts do we have in this whole forum?

If confidential, politely ignore my questions.. :)

Cheers,
      Manik.
        • 1. Re: Basic questions
          BluShadow
          Manik wrote:
          A long long time ago. I don't know exactly.
          Is Tom also involved here?
          Occasionally, Tom does pop up on the forums. e.g. Re: DISTINCT not working with  wmsys.wm_concat
          How many gurus and experts do we have in this whole forum?
          That will change regularly I would think. There's probably some who have gained enough points to get such status' and may no longer be around, or some who are just gaining those status' each day.
          If confidential, politely ignore my questions.. :)
          I doubt it's confidential, but I also doubt it's of much importance.
          1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Basic questions
            Manik
            As always Blu you are helpful.

Cheers,
            Manik.
            • 3. Re: Basic questions
              Nicolas.Gasparotto
              BluShadow wrote:
              Manik wrote:
              A long long time ago. I don't know exactly.
              One of the oldest profile I've seen over here is from last century, 1998...

Nicolas.
              • 4. Re: Basic questions
                SomeoneElse
                My profile is quite old, nearly 15 years. (Wow, has it been that long?)

But I've seen some that are a few months older.

Of course, that doesn't make me an expert. It only means I still have the same email address :-)
                • 5. Re: Basic questions
                  jgarry
                  Newbie! :p

I believe there are people who predate me here. I'm thinking there was another forum before this one, but I may be confusing with something support related.

Compuserve had an active forum going at least back to the start of the '90s, as did usenet (called [url http://www.newsdemon.com/newsgroup-info/comp.databases.oracle]comp.databases.oracle at that time).

I for one would be interested in an actual history of the creation of forums.oracle.com.

I have valid email addresses more than 20 years old.
                  • 6. Re: Basic questions
                    SomeoneElse
                    Yep, you're 3 months my senior.

But I don't recall anyone pre-1998. So that must be the year this incarnation of the forums was created.
                    • 7. Re: Basic questions
                      Hemant K Chitale
                      I had registered in my previous incarnation (i.e. different email address) 06-Nov-1998.

Hemant K Chitale
                      • 8. Re: Basic questions
                        Manik
                        I see some interesting history being digged out ;)

Cheers,
                        Manik.
                        • 9. Re: Basic questions
                          OTN 2000 :

http://web.archive.org/web/20000511100616/http://otn.oracle.com/
                          • 10. Re: Basic questions
                            John Spencer
                            Joel:

There was a previous incarnation of these fora under the auspices of Oracle University which was around in 1996 or 1997. As I recall, you had to have taken a course to get access. I was a member there for a couple of years before everything moved to OTN.

John
                            • 11. Re: Basic questions
                              Barbara Boehmer
                              John,

I remember when you and I used to post responses on that educational forum before the two were merged, but I don't think you had to have taken a class. I think our dates on this forum are the dates as of which we began using the email we are currently using. I started with my work email at the time, then switched to this one.

Barbara
                              • 12. Re: Basic questions
                                John Spencer
                                Barbara:

You may well be right, I found out about the Oracle University forum from an Email I received from them after taking a course, so I assumed that had something to do with it. The date/Email connection also seems right, it would have been around that time when I changed mine as well.

I still remember the Boeing problem, which I think was our first on-line encounter :-)

John
                                • 13. Re: Basic questions
                                  sonyabarry-Oracle
                                  I don't know when the forums were created, but the oldest post date is from 1996. I think that those oldest posts were imported from the Sun acquisition, so they don't really count as OTN original content.

Sonya Barry
                                  Director of Community Infrastructure
                                  Community Manager Java.net and Oracle Technology Network
                                  • 14. Re: Basic questions
                                    jgarry
                                    I was taking some classes at that time, including remote video, so that could well be what I'm thinking of. I guess I'm not enough of a pack-rat to know! (That's a scary thought, but maybe I'll go spelunking through my archives one of these days looking for such, though I'm guessing it would be in contemporaneous work email which is long gone.)

Thanks guys.