4 Replies Latest reply: May 2, 2013 4:58 AM by cherrydba RSS

Patch set questions

Hello Oracle professionals,

I am having two questions regarding Oracle regular patchset. My questions are as follows:

Why we do need to apply regular patchset? I.e. from 10.2.0.1 t0 10.2.0.4 or 11.2.0.1 to 11.2.0.2

Are individual patches aggregated into a patchset?

Thanks in advance
        • 1. Re: Patch set questions
          Osama_Mustafa
          Why we do need to apply regular patchset? I.e. from 10.2.0.1 t0 10.2.0.4 or 11.2.0.1 to 11.2.0.2
          Oracle support period will end soon or has ended.
          security fixes

and you can check
          https://blogs.oracle.com/UPGRADE/entry/why_upgrade
          • 2. Re: Patch set questions
            For any bug fixes, security updates, new release, out of support etc.
            • 3. Re: Patch set questions
              Also, Oracle support do provide patchset as per your requirement/issue taking care of any patch conflicts and making sure to handle multiple bugs.

Regards,
              Chirag
              • 4. Re: Patch set questions
                cherrydba
                Are individual patches aggregated into a patchset?
                Yes

for more information, read below

Starting with the release of the 11.2.0.2 patch set for Oracle Database 11g Release 2, Oracle Database patch sets are full installations of the Oracle Database software. Note the following changes with the new patch set packaging:

* Direct upgrades from previous releases (11.x, 10.x) to the most recent patch set are supported.

* Out-of-place patch set upgrades, in which you install the patch set into a new, separate Oracle home, are the best practices recommendation. In-place upgrades are supported but are not recommended.

* New installations consist of installing the most recent patch set, rather than installing a base release and then upgrading to a patch release.

See Also:
                My Oracle Support note 1189783.1, "Important Changes to Oracle Database Patch Sets Starting With 11.2.0.2", available from the following URL:
                https://support.oracle.com/CSP/main/article?cmd=show&type=NOT&doctype=ANNOUNCEMENT&id=1189783.1