This discussion is archived
6 Replies Latest reply: Jun 15, 2013 1:26 PM by 1003714 RSS

Jre 7u21 x86 - Silent install no longer possible

1004833 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi.

For security reasons we want to upgrade all our customers fom latest jre6 to current jre7 release.
The problem we found is that silent install seems to be broken in the way that all existing workarounds for prior versions seem to fail for 7u21.

In the past we simply grabbed the "msi" and "cab" file from APPDATA directory and started installation via msiexec. If we try this with the latest JRE version we get a broken installation in the way that the "Java Windows Control Panel" always crashes when excuted with:

Event: BEX
Appname: javaw.exe
App-Version: 7.0.210.11
Module: deploy.dll
Module-Version: 10.21.2.11
Exception Code: c0000409

It should be noted that it only crashes if all prior versions of JRE are also removed from the machine. If at least one old version of JRE also exists on the machine the crash does not happen.

We tried this on different Win7 x86 SP1 and Win2008R2 SP1 machines all with same results.

If we do the install via the offline exe installer with /s switch the problem does not happen however this way we are not able to install X86 JRE on X64 OS due to the well know bug, that the exe installer does not find it's own extracted files when running under LOCALSYSTEM account in this combination.

Catch22.

How did you get those things sorted?

Cheers.

Edited by: 1001830 on 23.04.2013 02:22
  • 2. Re: Jre 7u21 x86 - Silent install no longer possible
    1004833 Newbie
    Hi.

Why it the moderator locking this thread which is dealing with the same problem as mine?

Control panel error when installing from MSI file with JRE 7 update 21

This is a user to user forum and as such the thread mentioned above was exactly for the purpose beeing users exchange their findings with a huge shortcoming of latest JRE release.

I can understand that it is not very comfortable for a company to have a discussion about negative aspects of their producs, but come on a company like Oracle should be able to bear that.

Just my two cents.
  • 3. Re: Jre 7u21 x86 - Silent install no longer possible
    gimbal2 Guru
    1001830 wrote:
    I can understand that it is not very comfortable for a company to have a discussion about negative aspects of their producs, but come on a company like Oracle should be able to bear that.
    Stop thinking it is "the company", this is a USER TO USER forum, as in you're only talking to people who are USERS of Java. Such people are not part of Oracle as a company, nor are they a technical support service, nor do they have any knowledge of inside operations or closed source parts of the Java platform, which the installation is part of. Only Oracle tech support can answer these kind of questions and they don't look here. Generally only people who pay for a support contract have any kind of leverage here, the best you can do as a simple user is log a bug and hope for the best.

Do you understand now? This is a forum for questions that might be answered by users of Java - programmers. Any questions that are off-topic will be locked.
  • 4. Re: Jre 7u21 x86 - Silent install no longer possible
    1004833 Newbie
    If you had read my previous post carefully you should have noticed that I'm aware of the fact that this is a user to user forum.

To prevent getting further off topic I will not comment on the other aspects of your answer.

Have a nice day.

@moderator: please lock that thread also. THX.

Edited by: 1001830 on 24.04.2013 03:12
  • 5. Re: Jre 7u21 x86 - Silent install no longer possible
    PhHein Guru Moderator
    1001830 wrote:
    @moderator: please lock that thread also. THX.
    Locking.
  • 6. Re: Jre 7u21 x86 - Silent install no longer possible
    1003714 Newbie

I can still install it silently. I run the .exe and go to "C:\Users\administrator\AppData\LocalLow\Sun\Java". I then copy the MSI and CAB into my network storage folder. Here's the batch I run which does the installation.

REM Installing Java 7 Update 21

REM ************ Setting Script Variables ************

SETLOCAL

SET VERSION=7

SET UPDATE=21

REM **************************************************

REM **************** Installing Java *****************

C:

CD C:\

XCOPY "\\10.10.5.100\Deploy\Oracle\Java %VERSION% Update %UPDATE%\Files\*" "C:\Setup\Deploy\Oracle\Java %VERSION% Update %UPDATE%\" /E /Y /V /I /Q /R

CD "C:\Setup\Deploy\Oracle\Java %VERSION% Update %UPDATE%\"

MsiExec.exe /i jre1.%VERSION%.0_%UPDATE%.msi /qn /norestart /l* Log_Install.txt

REM Applying policy settings - disabling auto updates.

RegEdit /s "Java Policy - Disable Auto Updates.reg"

REM *********** Verifying The Installation ***********

IF NOT EXIST "%PROGRAMFILES%\Java\jre7\bin\java.exe" (

SET ERRORLEVEL=54321

)

ECHO "VERSION" = "%VERSION%"

ECHO "UPDATE" = "%UPDATE%"

ECHO "ERRORLEVEL" = "%ERRORLEVEL%"

REM Installation Is Complete!

Legend