Mika_
      ===============
      WLS: wls1036
      FR: 11.1.2.1
      DB: 11gR2
      --
      RAID 10
      ===============

What is the best practice for installing Oracle Database and Oracle Forms on the same development computer. Is it OK to use the same Oracle Base for both database, and forms/weblogic server? Or should the database and forms/weblogic server be installed in their own Oracle Base?

Thank you in advance for your help. It is appreciated.
        • 1. Re: Oracle Base
          Christian Erlinger
          What is the best practice for installing Oracle Database and Oracle Forms on the same development computer. Is it OK to use the same Oracle Base for both database, and forms/weblogic server?
          I'd use separate Oracle Base directories. But IMO the best practice is not installing it on the same (logical) machine at all. Why?

- In production environments they tend to be seperated. If you are developing with both (or in that case all three) tiers together in one machine there is the possibility to implement things which in your 1-tier architecture will work but won't work in a real 3-tier architecture. Writing a file using utl_file and reading it then afterwards with text_io for example (a stupid example of course, but just to make a point). If you are seperating things in the first place those flaws can't happen in the first place.
          - sooner or later another developer will make use of your database and quickly your development machine will become a server.

That's why I like virtualization ;). I'd install the database in a VM.

cheers
          • 2. Re: Oracle Base
            Mika_
            Thank you.