This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: Apr 24, 2013 12:56 PM by Gary Graham RSS

compiling and debugging woes

steph0h Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
SQL Developer 3.2.20.09
I feel so dumb ...
I modified a package, now it won't compile. When I run the sql-File that holds package specification and body it rightly complains that there are errors. I tells me to check the compiler log. First question: where to I find the log?
Ok, than I navigate in the connection browser to the package body itself which is marked as erroneous. ok. I open it. I right click and choose "compile" in the context menu. I would expect now that it shows me a list of syntax errors. But it does not. Nothing happens.
How am I suppose to debug this now? Should I switch back to sql-plus?
thanks for any help!
stephan
  • 1. Re: compiling and debugging woes
    Chandrakaanth Ramamurthy Explorer
    Go to view-->Log (shortcut is ctrl+shift+L)

This should give u access to see all the logs.

Then click on the pkb that you want to compile, click compile and then see that the logs are displayed with the errors.
  • 2. Re: compiling and debugging woes
    steph0h Newbie
    Thanks for your help - but this seems to get even more tricky:
    I've tried to do the same thing on a windows machine, and there it works without problems.
    The instance of sqldeveloper I have problems with is on ubuntu linux, I have downloaded and installed Sql Developer 3.2.2 for other platforms.
    Apart from not being able to compile the package I also miss all the usual icons in the code editor view. See https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8595447/img86.png
    Any ideas how to solve this?

Thanks!
    Stephan

Edited by: steph0h on 24.04.2013 12:05
  • 3. Re: compiling and debugging woes
    Gary Graham Expert
    Hi Stephan,

Not only are many Code tab toolbar icons missing , even the Code tab itself (along with tabs for Grants, ..., Details, Profile) is missing. Your install must be corrupted.

Did you install from an rpm or zip? Personally, I have multiple SQL Developer versions installed (whatever the OS), so I tend to just unzip into an empty directory.

Hope this helps,
    Gary
    SQL Developer
  • 4. Re: compiling and debugging woes
    steph0h Newbie
    I investigated more and found I was running SQL Developer with Java 7. Apparently it should only be run with java 6. So I made sure that it is started with the correct java version - and now it works ok. Icons are there again and it is possible to compile. Hurray!
  • 5. Re: compiling and debugging woes
    Gary Graham Expert
    Thanks for posting your solution! The impact of using Java 7 against 3.2.20.09.87 seems to vary by Java 7 update number and by OS. Perhaps someone else already posted a warning about Java 7 on Ubuntu, I don't recall, but it is always best to stick with certified versions.

-Gary

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points