1 2 Previous Next 18 Replies Latest reply: May 2, 2013 12:57 AM by 1005659 RSS

Having trouble creating new connection in SQLDeveloper

When I try to create a new connection in SQLDeveloper, I get the following message:

Status : Failure -Test failed: Listener refused the connection with the following error:
      ORA-12505, TNS:listener does not currently know of SID given in connect descriptor

The username and password are the same as the ones I use to connect to sqlplus, right? I am a complete newb to sql, so I would really appreciate if someone could provide a step-by-step solution.
        • 1. Re: Having trouble creating new connection in SQLDeveloper
          jeneesh
          You have given a wrong SID in your connection..

There is a specific forum for SQL Developer {forum:id=260}

Edited by: jeneesh on Apr 26, 2013 11:45 AM
          • 2. Re: Having trouble creating new connection in SQLDeveloper
            Mahir M. Quluzade
            You must check TNSNAMES.ora file on client side.
            • 3. Re: Having trouble creating new connection in SQLDeveloper
              Nitesh.
              You go to command prompt and enter as tnsping your service name .. You will get IP address which is HOST in SQL Developer and you will get port number .. So enter SID,HOST address and port number in SQL developer then try .. Hope it will get connect successfully .. Its i guess you giving service name directly which may be wrong also or else go to oracle home directory and search tnsnames.ora and check your SID properly and then try ..

Regards..

Edited by: 180589 on Apr 26, 2013 11:52 AM
              • 4. Re: Having trouble creating new connection in SQLDeveloper
                EdStevens
                1002656 wrote:
                When I try to create a new connection in SQLDeveloper, I get the following message:

Status : Failure -Test failed: Listener refused the connection with the following error:
                ORA-12505, TNS:listener does not currently know of SID given in connect descriptor

The username and password are the same as the ones I use to connect to sqlplus, right? I am a complete newb to sql, so I would really appreciate if someone could provide a step-by-step solution.
                see: [url http://edstevensdba.wordpress.com/2011/03/19/ora-12514/] ora-12514 Listener does not know of requested service 
                • 5. Re: Having trouble creating new connection in SQLDeveloper
                  I'm trying to start the listener, but I get the following error message, even though the listener name is LISTENER.

TNS-01151: Missing listener name, [LISTENER], in LISTENER.ORA

Listener failed to start.

Please advise on how to get around this. Hopefully I can get everything else to work afterwards.
                  • 6. Re: Having trouble creating new connection in SQLDeveloper
                    sb92075
                    1002656 wrote:
                    I'm trying to start the listener, but I get the following error message, even though the listener name is LISTENER.

Please advise on how to get around this. Hopefully I can get everything else to work afterwards.
                    I am not convince that you accurately report reality, but I hope to work around all obstacles.

move, remove, rename, delete or otherwise eliminate listener.ora file since it is NOT required.

then issue the OS commands below

lsnrctl start
                    lsnrctl status
                    # wait 60+ seconds before issueing the next command
                    lsnrctl service

COPY the results from above, then PASTE all back here.
                    • 7. Re: Having trouble creating new connection in SQLDeveloper
                      C:\Users\Admin>lsnrctl

LSNRCTL for 64-bit Windows: Version 11.2.0.1.0 - Production on 26-APR-2013 21:00
                      :01

Copyright (c) 1991, 2010, Oracle. All rights reserved.

Welcome to LSNRCTL, type "help" for information.

LSNRCTL> status
                      Connecting to (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=IPC)(KEY=EXTPROC1522)))
                      STATUS of the LISTENER
                      ------------------------
                      Alias LISTENER
                      Version TNSLSNR for 64-bit Windows: Version 11.2.0.1.0 - Produ
                      ction
                      Start Date 26-APR-2013 17:55:47
                      Uptime 0 days 3 hr. 4 min. 19 sec
                      Trace Level off
                      Security ON: Local OS Authentication
                      SNMP OFF
                      Listener Parameter File C:\app\Admin\product\11.2.0\dbhome_2\network\admin\lis
                      tener.ora
                      Listener Log File c:\app\admin\diag\tnslsnr\Admin-PC\listener\alert\log.
                      xml
                      Listening Endpoints Summary...
                      (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=ipc)(PIPENAME=\\.\pipe\EXTPROC1522ipc)))
                      (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=Admin-PC)(PORT=1522)))
                      Services Summary...
                      Service "CLRExtProc" has 1 instance(s).
                      Instance "CLRExtProc", status UNKNOWN, has 1 handler(s) for this service...
                      Service "orcl.gateway.2wire.net" has 1 instance(s).
                      Instance "orcl", status READY, has 1 handler(s) for this service...
                      Service "orclXDB.gateway.2wire.net" has 1 instance(s).
                      The command completed successfully
                      LSNRCTL> service
                      Connecting to (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=IPC)(KEY=EXTPROC1522)))
                      Services Summary...
                      Service "CLRExtProc" has 1 instance(s).
                      Instance "CLRExtProc", status UNKNOWN, has 1 handler(s) for this service...
                      Handler(s):
                      "DEDICATED" established:0 refused:0
                      LOCAL SERVER
                      Service "orcl.gateway.2wire.net" has 1 instance(s).
                      Handler(s):
                      "DEDICATED" established:0 refused:0 state:ready
                      LOCAL SERVER
                      Service "orclXDB.gateway.2wire.net" has 1 instance(s).
                      Handler(s):
                      "D000" established:0 refused:0 current:0 max:1022 state:ready
                      DISPATCHER <machine: ADMIN-PC, pid: 4496>
                      (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=Admin-PC)(PORT=49224))
                      The command completed successfully
                      LSNRCTL>
                      • 8. Re: Having trouble creating new connection in SQLDeveloper
                        sb92075
                        1002656 wrote:

I am confused!

above you report that listener won't start,
                        then below you show it has been up for hours!
                        Uptime 0 days 3 hr. 4 min. 19 sec
                        I won't waste any more time this on thread!

Enjoy your Life!
                        • 9. Re: Having trouble creating new connection in SQLDeveloper
                          I was following instructions from this page.

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/network.112/e10836/gettingstart.htm#i484556

I get the error message when I input LISTENER as the listener name. Do I actually need to do the steps from that page? I'm just trying to figure out how to connect SQLDeveloper to db.
                          • 10. Re: Having trouble creating new connection in SQLDeveloper
                            sb92075
                            try to connect again to the DB to force the error again, again

the post the last 50 - 70 lines from

Listener Log File c:\app\admin\diag\tnslsnr\Admin-PC\listener\alert\log.xml
                            • 11. Re: Having trouble creating new connection in SQLDeveloper
                              Sorry, I'm not quite sure what you're asking. I was referring to the error I was getting in the first post. I can't create a db connection in SQLDeveloper.
                              • 12. Re: Having trouble creating new connection in SQLDeveloper
                                Can someone please help me create a working connection to db in SQLDeveloper? I need to get this working for my class and the instructor can't help because he uses Toad. I will greatly appreciate the assistance!!
                                • 13. Re: Having trouble creating new connection in SQLDeveloper
                                  Jim Smith
                                  It's not a SQL Developer error, it's an oracle error which means the database isn't running.

Where is the database installed?

What parameters have you put in your connection definition?

Do these match the location of the database (hostname, port, sid?)
                                  • 14. Re: Having trouble creating new connection in SQLDeveloper
                                    Database is installed on C drive.

What parameters are you referring to?

How do I find out the hostname, port, and sid of my db? Sorry, I'm new to this.
                                    1 2 Previous Next