4 Replies Latest reply: Apr 26, 2013 9:59 AM by Kaatz RSS

Error Handling Inside BPM Process

Kaatz
      Hi All,

I have a scenario in which, when a BPM Process errors out due to any of the System Exception I'm catching it using a Event SubProcess activity and handling it.

Problem:
      I want the control to get back to the next activity i.e Normal Process should resume once the control is out of the Event SubProcess.

I found that using a Normal Subprocess with boundary event helps to resume the flow back to normal control. But Its difficult to have individual Subprocesses for N number of activities.
      Is there any other method to overcome this?

Please provide a solution.

Two Cents,
      Karthick.
        • 1. Re: Error Handling Inside BPM Process
          Daniel Atwood
          Another (and slightly less cumbersome) approach would be to catch the exception in the boundary event of the individual activity.
          • 2. Re: Error Handling Inside BPM Process
            Kaatz
            Hi Daniel,

Yes we do, but we have many activities inside a single process since the business is big.

A thought of using Boundary Events with subprocess looks good but its not possible to use a single sub process for all boundary events in order to resume to normal activity.

Thanks
            Karthick
            • 3. Re: Error Handling Inside BPM Process
              Daniel Atwood
              I'll bow out of this thread after this post, but a couple thoughts.

You might have seen these, but here are some links that should help you. If you have not already looked at Fault Policies, pay particular attention to this in the posts below:

Fault Handling in Oracle SOA Suite
              http://beatechnologies.wordpress.com/2011/07/18/fault-handling-in-oracle-soa-suite-advanced-concepts/

Fault Handling and Prevention - Part 1
              http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/articles/soa/luttikhuizen-fault-handling-1-1877036.html

Fault Policy
              http://error0.wordpress.com/2011/08/02/howto-use-the-fault-management-framework-with-oracle-bpm/

I don't mean for this to sound harsh and please keep in mind that I don't know the problem you're trying to solve or what you're process looks like.

>
              Yes we do, but we have many activities inside a single process since the business is big.
              >

Sounds like you're pretty far down the road now, but just a word of caution. I've found myself on projects with large processes. It's not just exception handling that you'll find more difficult, but many things became more cumbersome to maintain in a large process.

>
              A thought of using Boundary Events with subprocess looks good but its not possible to use a single sub process for all boundary events in order to resume to normal activity.
              >

I did not follow this. If you invoke a subprocess using a Call activity, you'd be able to add a boundary event on the Call activities for the activities in the called sub process. You'd also have a process that is easier to read and maintain.

Dan
              • 4. Re: Error Handling Inside BPM Process
                Kaatz
                Hi Dan,

I'm sorry if I was harsh. Just tried to explain it in high level.

This is my process Dan,

Start -> Service Activity -> Script -> Human Task

I have a Service call Activity which fails out. I have a Event Sub Process which captures this remote fault and an alternative method is implemented. After this the process ends. But I want my normal activity to continue. i.e The process should continue with Script Task and then Human Task.

Using Boundary Events and Sub Process we can get the control back. But I'm having lot of Service Activities like this. Is there any generic way of handling it?

Two Cents
                Karthick.