11 Replies Latest reply: Apr 29, 2013 5:15 AM by 764057 RSS

Oracle 10g Dataguard Setup

Hi Guys,

I am planning to have Dataguard setup for my single instance database in HP-UNIX.
      Please let me know the pre-requistes for this setup. I currently have Oracle enterprise edition installed. Do i need any specific application, tool or software installed for this, etc ?

Also, help me out with the configuration steps.

Thanks.
        • 1. Re: Oracle 10g Dataguard Setup
          FreddieEssex
          Hi,

Here are the detailed steps to creating your standby on 10g:

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14239/rcmbackp.htm
          • 2. Re: Oracle 10g Dataguard Setup
            Hi,

Thanks. Apart from RMAN, do i need to have anything else installed for the setup ?

Also, if i choose the manual method(using sql's), do I need to install anything ?

I understand these are basics. Please bear with me.

Thanks.
            • 3. Re: Oracle 10g Dataguard Setup
              Mahir M. Quluzade
              user9098221 wrote:
              Hi,

Thanks. Apart from RMAN, do i need to have anything else installed for the setup ?

Also, if i choose the manual method(using sql's), do I need to install anything ?

I understand these are basics. Please bear with me.

Thanks.
              Hi,

On standby side need following steps.

1. You must install Oracle Database Enterprise Edition (same version, same patchset) Software only.
              2. Add Listener, and add standby service name
              3. You must create folders for data files, flash recovery area and diags.

Not need any additional tools.

Regards
              Mahir M. Quluzade
              • 4. Re: Oracle 10g Dataguard Setup
                saratpvv
                You can try the below for manual creation of standby

http://www.orafaq.com/node/2030
                • 5. Re: Oracle 10g Dataguard Setup
                  Hi,

My actuall concern is that do i need to install anything else on the server or make major changes, since its a production server. I have a 10g Oracle Home setup currently.

From the notes above, i see only manual steps for setup. Do we need to install Dataguard from Oracle? If yes, where does it come in use in the steps mentioned above.
                  If no, then why do we have Dagaguard as a component in the Software?

Help me understand this concept. Thanks !
                  • 6. Re: Oracle 10g Dataguard Setup
                    Hemant K Chitale
                    if you have a 10g Enterprise Edition install on your production server, you do not need to "install" anything more.

(You do need to install 10gEE of the same version and patch level on the standby server).

Hemant K Chitale
                    • 7. Re: Oracle 10g Dataguard Setup
                      Hi,

I that case, i do not need any additional licensing? Also can you cleary my previous doubt about the use of Oracle Dataguard component, "If no, then why do we have Dagaguard as a component in the Software?"
                      • 8. Re: Oracle 10g Dataguard Setup
                        Hemant K Chitale
                        You need to licence the Standby site. For example, if your Primary Database is licenced by CPU count (say 8 CPUs), then your Standby site must also be licenced by CPU count (however, it can have 4 CPUs and be licenced for 4 CPUs).

DataGuard is part of Enterprise Edition. It is not a separate component, it is a feature.
                        See "Feature Availability by Edition" in the Licencing Guide : http://docs.oracle.com/cd/B19306_01/license.102/b14199/editions.htm#BABJICBB

See the Data Guard Concepts and Administration Guide : http://docs.oracle.com/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14239/toc.htm

Hemant K Chitale
                        • 9. Re: Oracle 10g Dataguard Setup
                          Thanks Hemant. So i can use this feature for free if its available. Is that correct?

How excatly are we using this feature in the manual steps mentioned above to configure a standby?

What if i do not have this feature installed and i follow the steps above. Will my standy work perfectly ?

Thanks
                          • 10. Re: Oracle 10g Dataguard Setup
                            Hemant K Chitale
                            What do you mean by "How excatly are we using this feature in the manual steps" ? You use the feature. Period.
                            What if i do not have this feature installed
                            It is not "installed". It is part of Enterprise Edition.

Note that if you want the DataGuard Broker configured, you'd have to do this on a 3rd server.

Why not read the documentation ?

Hemant K Chitale
                            • 11. Re: Oracle 10g Dataguard Setup
                              Ok. Thanks Hemant.