4 Replies Latest reply: Apr 28, 2013 9:40 AM by 891445 RSS

No logging issues after switchover

We are planning to gracefully swithcover to standby dbatabase due to some hardware maintainance on Primary Database. Db version is 10.2.0.4

I am concerned about any Nologging operation which was done in the past, which might create problems when we open the stdby database as PRIMARY.

Is there a way to figure out, which tables/segments/datafiles has issue with No-logging ?

What are the options available to Overcome this problem.
        • 1. Re: No logging issues after switchover
          FreddieEssex
          One of the first steps in creating dataguard is to put the database in logging mode:
          alter database force logging;
          select force_logging from v$database;
          So any statement using the nologging option would be ignored.

Is your database in nologging mode and there is a physical standby?? If this is the case then you will have some issues if there were any nologging statements done on the database.

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/B28359_01/server.111/b28294/scenarios.htm#i1015738
          • 2. Re: No logging issues after switchover
            Currently it is in Force Logging. (since i am in this project)

But, i got the info from others that there was some problem with the no logging during the DR dirll in the past. ( I dont have full details of this).

So, I just want to make sure if some no-logging operations were done in the past, which may cause problems after opening the stdby db in Read-write mode
            • 3. Re: No logging issues after switchover
              saratpvv
              Is there a way to figure out, which tables/segments/datafiles has issue with No-logging ?
              http://www.pythian.com/blog/how-to-find-objects-creating-nologging-changes/
              • 4. Re: No logging issues after switchover
                Just found this query after searching....
                Having non- zero values for UNRECOVERABLE_CHANGE#, UNRECOVERABLE_TIME states that the NO logging operation was done on that datafile.

select file#, name, UNRECOVERABLE_CHANGE#, UNRECOVERABLE_TIME from v$datafile;

I am not sure, how far it is reliable. Tried testing by append hing without No Logging, but still i get the ZERO value.