This discussion is archived
0 Replies Latest reply: Apr 26, 2013 7:55 AM by 861637 RSS

How to Import/Discover existing VMs

861637 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi All

I would appreciate if you can provide me some guidance.

-- Server 1

I have one desktop server running Oracle VM Server 3.2.2 and on my laptop I am running VM Manager 3.2.2 It is a fresh installation. I have 2 disks,
one holds VM server installation and other one is configured to be used as local repository.

-- Old Server
I had another server running same configuration (VM 3.2.2) which I had to format. But i took backup of /OVS/Repository/xxxx directory. it has
couple of VMs configured.

Now I wanted to restore all the VMs (from Old Server) to this newly configured (Server 1). I have restored all the data into newly configured
files.

drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 3896 Apr 26 16:00 Assemblies
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 3896 Apr 26 16:42 VirtualDisks
drwxr-xr-x 8 root root 3896 Apr 26 16:09 VirtualMachines
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 3896 Apr 26 18:27 ISOs
drwxr-xr-x 5 root root 3896 Apr 26 18:29 Templates

However, I have realized that we do not easy way like OVM 2.2 to discover Vms from existing pools. With 3.2.2, we have to import the vms from FTP or HTTP.
VM 3.2 also gives us options to import VMs without converting into templates.

I have 2 questions here

Q1 - Is there any way we can discover the VMs copied on existing Repository of OVM Server

Q2 - If not - How can we use HTTP server to copy, I have configured HTTP server but when I try to import vm.cfg. It can not locate the other disks
because it was from another Repository and disks path in vm.cfg is not valid. I tried to change the path but no luck.

Thanks

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points