This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Jun 7, 2013 12:42 AM by 561250 RSS

number of records in Oracle 11G XE

561250 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi.

I'm establishing a database regime for my phd and am looking for a suitable database system.

I'm looking for a simple data storage without the need for any complex queries or application connected to the database.

In terms of numbers (if thats possible to say) would the XE be suitable for approx 14 mill records (in 15 columns with an average of 10 char pr column) plus an increase in number of records of approx. 100.000 each year for the next 5 years.

Hope that was comprehansable.

Best regards

Nicolai
  • 1. Re: number of records in Oracle 11G XE
    Paul M. Oracle ACE
    would the XE be suitable for approx 14 mill records (in 15 columns with an average of 10 char pr column) plus an increase in number of records of approx. 100.000 each year for the next 5 years.
    Oracle Database Express Edition 11g Release 2 has known limitations. See Licensing Restrictions
  • 2. Re: number of records in Oracle 11G XE
    Udo Guru
    would the XE be suitable for approx 14 mill records (in 15 columns with an average of 10 char pr column) plus an increase in number of records of approx. 100.000 each year for the next 5 years.
    Oracle Database Express Edition 11g Release 2 has known limitations. See Licensing Restrictions
    ... but it probably will be able to fulfill your requirement:
    14 mill + 500k makes 14.5 mill in total.
    Simple maths would be:
    14.5 mill * 15 * 10 result in approx. 2 GB of data. Add some overhead for indexes and other things you may or may not need to store aside from your main data pool the 11 GB allowed to be used in 11.2 XE should be sufficient.
    On the other hand, you may have some restrictions on performance, since memory and cpu usage are limited as well, so processing large amounts of data at once (in a single query) might result in poor response times.

-Udo
  • 3. Re: number of records in Oracle 11G XE
    561250 Newbie
    Hi.

Thanks for your reply and sorry for my late reply.

It was helpfull and i have established a system with the oracle 11g xe

:-)

Nicolai

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points