1 2 3 Previous Next 40 Replies Latest reply: May 20, 2013 11:53 AM by jgarry RSS

    Degradation of status and reduction in gained points..very critical issue..

    Sanjay Desai EBS
      Dear all,

      Due to EBS upgradation at our organization, I was unable to open the OTN since last 2-3 months.
      I had PRO status having points more than 600 at that time.

      Suddenly, today I have opened OTN and surprisely I found that my status is degraded to JOURNEYER from PRO and points reduced to 425 .
      Earlier it was 625-630 points .

      How it is possible ?

      What I have to do to regain my losted status & points ?

      regards
      sanjay
        • 1. Re: Degradation of status and reduction in gained points..very critical issue..
          Purvesh K
          Sanjay Desai wrote:
          Dear all,

          Due to EBS upgradation at our organization, I was unable to open the OTN since last 2-3 months.
          I had PRO status having points more than 600 at that time.

          Suddenly, today I have opened OTN and surprisely I found that my status is degraded to JOURNEYER from PRO and points reduced to 425 .
          Earlier it was 625-630 points .

          How it is possible ?

          What I have to do to regain my losted status & points ?
          Few months back, new status-es were introduced, thus causing increase of Status for some; so, not sure why you had your status downgraded.

          If points exactly are the motive you are here and are really important, then I would suggest you to stay around for a Moderator to help you, if they can. If not, better to move on.

          You can always make up points by replying to posts and if OP considers your post to be helpful/correct.
          • 2. Re: Degradation of status and reduction in gained points..very critical issue..
            Billy~Verreynne
            Critical issue? Come on!

            Forum points are meaningless as currency, meaningless as an indicator of real expertise, useless on a resume/CV, and have no meaning either when answering a post here on OTN (lots of points do not mean that your answer is now automatically correct).

            Forget your ego - OTN is not about forum points. It is about helping others and educating them on the subject matter covered within that forum.

            And anyone that does not get that, should not be on OTN in the first place. There are no caste issues here around points...
            • 3. Re: Degradation of status and reduction in gained points..very critical issue..
              BluShadow
              Agree with all the above, this certainly is not a "critical issue". How can an status that serves no real purpose be something that is critical?

              As part of the forums migration about to take place, some of the non-active/old forums have been removed by the Oracle admin. It's possible that some of your posts were in those forums, so have now been removed as part of that process? That's just a guess, as there's no way for us to tell, and we only have your word for it that you actually had such points in the first place.

              As already mentioned, if your intention for being on these forums is to upgrade your status and gain points, then you are here for the wrong reasons. This is a technical forum for helping others and seeking assistance for our own issues.
              • 4. Re: Degradation of status and reduction in gained points..very critical issue..
                Sanjay Desai EBS
                Dear all,

                Agree with you that this forum is providing assistance in EBS issues. I am not denying that.

                It was also provided me many solution in my own issues as well as provided many solution by me also.

                As per my opinion, if anyone found something going wrong then it's duty to highlight that issue so that rectify the same if possible. This is not a matter of ego, points or status.
                I'm just showing an issue that I am facing that how it is possible ?

                regards
                Sanjay
                • 5. Re: Degradation of status and reduction in gained points..very critical issue..
                  EdStevens
                  Sanjay Desai wrote:
                  Dear all,

                  Agree with you that this forum is providing assistance in EBS issues. I am not denying that.

                  It was also provided me many solution in my own issues as well as provided many solution by me also.

                  As per my opinion, if anyone found something going wrong then it's duty to highlight that issue so that rectify the same if possible. This is not a matter of ego, points or status.
                  I'm just showing an issue that I am facing that how it is possible ?

                  regards
                  Sanjay
                  What happened to your points may be a question of mild curiosity, but "very critical"? C'mon. Very critical to who? To me, "very critical" means one of two things:

                  1) People are dying
                  2) A customer-facing, revenue-producing system is down.
                  3) People's financial data is corrupted.

                  And to keep a perspective on the others, keep #1 in mind.

                  Extend that list as far as you choose. Where do you think losing points on this forum falls?
                  • 6. Re: Degradation of status and reduction in gained points..very critical issue..
                    BluShadow
                    EdStevens wrote:
                    Extend that list as far as you choose. Where do you think losing points on this forum falls?
                    Somewhere here:
                    ORA-08004: sequence CRITICALSEQ.NEXTVAL exceeds MAXVALUE and cannot be instantiated
                    ;)
                    • 7. Re: Degradation of status and reduction in gained points..very critical issue..
                      Catch-22
                      Does the OP have to share your point of view or ideology? What gives you the right to determine what the OP finds useful, critical or not?

                      I know nothing about the original poster or his actual contribution to the forum. However, I see no reason to outline that an intention to gain points and maintain a virtual status was a wrong reason to be here. I think any reason that helps or motivates people to provide useful content for free to help others is not for the wrong reason.
                      • 8. Re: Degradation of status and reduction in gained points..very critical issue..
                        Catch-22
                        There was a change in the legend categories a couple of month ago as already mentioned. If I remember correctly the "Explorer" and "Expert" were introduced, which was "upgrading" some people from Newbie to Explorer and Pro to Expert and gave the Journeyer a silver and Expert a gold medal.

                        Is it possible that you are perhaps confusing your 600 points with the number of your posts (605)?
                        • 9. Re: Degradation of status and reduction in gained points..very critical issue..
                          jgarry
                          Dude wrote:
                          Does the OP have to share your point of view or ideology? What gives you the right to determine what the OP finds useful, critical or not?
                          We are all entitled to our opinions. That gives Blue the right, and you the right to disagree. An argument could be made that those who have built up a reputation in a place might have more of a right, but that can be argued against as one of the strong points of this kind of forum is its egalitarianism. And not having a point system and arbitrary levels is more egalitarian.

                          >
                          I know nothing about the original poster or his actual contribution to the forum. However, I see no reason to outline that an intention to gain points and maintain a virtual status was a wrong reason to be here. I think any reason that helps or motivates people to provide useful content for free to help others is not for the wrong reason.
                          Many of us believe that the problem is it motivates people to provide less than useful content. If that is the only reason some people are here, it is indeed wrong.

                          It's not like this wouldn't be a largest forum in the world without the points system. The question is, does it help more than hurt? I say no, but if everyone disagrees, that makes little difference. But we know at least some agree.
                          • 10. Re: Degradation of status and reduction in gained points..very critical issue..
                            Catch-22
                            jgarry wrote:
                            We are all entitled to our opinions. That gives Blue the right, and you the right to disagree.
                            Yes, but there is a difference between expressing an opinion or criticizing and belittling the need of others. For instance, "smoking is unhealthy" vs. "smoking is bad and we don't want you here".
                            .... And not having a point system and arbitrary levels is more egalitarian.
                            I don't see where a point system has anything to do with egalitarianism. Are you making this up? Can you explain what you mean please? I cannot see why egalitarian was something one would want to achieve in any environment other than religion or law, it's absolutely counterproductive and sets no intensives of creativeness and progression.
                            Many of us believe that the problem is it motivates people to provide less than useful content. If that is the only reason some people are here, it is indeed wrong.
                            I don't have this impression, but even it was factual, it's up to the original poster to assign points and not to the person who responds or who is first in the game. People who have such intention will get frustrated very soon - and probably want the point system to be removed and replaced by a post counter ;-)
                            • 11. Re: Degradation of status and reduction in gained points..very critical issue..
                              jgarry
                              Dude wrote:
                              jgarry wrote:
                              We are all entitled to our opinions. That gives Blue the right, and you the right to disagree.
                              Yes, but there is a difference between expressing an opinion or criticizing and belittling the need of others. For instance, "smoking is unhealthy" vs. "smoking is bad and we don't want you here".
                              OK, how about "you are a nasty guru and we don't want you here." (Not you, but you can probably guess who I mean. And I have pointed out to complainers that he has lots of points, so that must mean something about how helpful others think of him. That's an odd feeling for me.)

                              >
                              .... And not having a point system and arbitrary levels is more egalitarian.
                              I don't see where a point system has anything to do with egalitarianism. Are you making this up? Can you explain what you mean please? I cannot see why egalitarian was something one would want to achieve in any environment other than religion or law, it's absolutely counterproductive and sets no intensives of creativeness and progression.
                              If you have a point system, you have a hierarchy. You've been around long enough to have seen some of the best discussions here and on usenet were without a point system. Heck, anyone can ask Jonathan Lewis an optimizer question. That's a good thing! That's truly egalitarian. And I'm sure you could find examples of someone getting "correct" points followed by Jonathan giving a better answer. That's silly on its face, a lopsided hierarchy (of course, Jonathan said he doesn't care about the ace director label, or something along those lines, when his profile hadn't been updated to show it).

                              >
                              Many of us believe that the problem is it motivates people to provide less than useful content. If that is the only reason some people are here, it is indeed wrong.
                              I don't have this impression, but even it was factual, it's up to the original poster to assign points and not to the person who responds or who is first in the game. People who have such intention will get frustrated very soon - and probably want the point system to be removed and replaced by a post counter ;-)
                              lol, well, we know that is moot for now. Thanks again to Sonya for keeping us updated.
                              • 12. Re: Degradation of status and reduction in gained points..very critical issue..
                                Sanjay Desai EBS
                                I agree that my way of expressing is not proper but the way of yours to hurting , belittling and frustrating someone is great.

                                Everyone has right to complain and you as a Guru has a duty to give a reply in proper way.
                                • 13. Re: Degradation of status and reduction in gained points..very critical issue..
                                  Catch-22
                                  Well, it was me who was complaining about belittling the needs in regard to a response that you had received, and as such defending your position. I'm puzzled about your response.
                                  • 14. Re: Degradation of status and reduction in gained points..very critical issue..
                                    Billy~Verreynne
                                    jgarry wrote:

                                    If you have a point system, you have a hierarchy. You've been around long enough to have seen some of the best discussions here and on usenet were without a point system.
                                    Yes. I have had my share of arguments with real experts on Usenet, that showed me where I was wrong not by claiming to be an expert and more knowledgeable than I was - but by logic and evidence and test cases.

                                    There is a big difference between "+Oe! I follow the expert as he/she is the guru!!+" and "+I have *learned* from an expert+".
                                    1 2 3 Previous Next