1 2 3 4 Previous Next 51 Replies Latest reply: May 2, 2013 11:45 AM by Aman.... Go to original post RSS
      • 45. Re: Don't you get that feeling ....
        jgarry
        961469 wrote:
        well seeing as we're all having a heart to heart opening up session

how about some frequent posters reading previous answers and seeing that the question has already been answered repat it to get their post count up, in one case I seen the exact same answer repeated 4 posts in a row with the excuse given that the post was still open, like that is a given pass to preclude anyone from viewing the answers already given.

And how about not providing GPA's (garden path answers) which Ive seen more prolific examples in recent months. posting the results of an OERR output, is not an answer, it just gets your post count up.
        If the person doesn't seem to know about oerr, it can be an appropriate answer. Sometimes even for non-newbies, it's easy to be focused on a problem and forget to step back and check the obvious.

I'm not sure that people with a high post count care about moving it up. Surely some who aren't high status post just to increase their count, that is why some of us are against the point system in general.

>
        I posted a question here recently on an insufficient privileges, was a fairly detailed grant with admin example with all the steps Id taken to fix. the answer I got from a poster with a high post count was "fix the privileges". Again, this does nothing but get post count up. If you dont know the answer, you dont have to post the results of an OERR, you dont have to post the link to a document with privileges. the answer could be buried within several hundred pages of that doc which would take weeks to get through.
        A reasonable complaint, but remember, you can't control other's behavior very well, especially when they feel they are trying to be helpful. So just assume they are trying to be helpful.

>
        If thats as helpful as it gets You may as well lock this entire sit down and have one post at the top pointing at tahiti

After ten years, thats the feeling Ive been getting on there for last 12 months or so.
        Yeah, but it isn't really new. Just ignore the ones that should be ignored, take the high road and make a good example for others. That's true of all social media, isn't it?

Garden Path Answers is an interesting way to put it. Tough to really fight against, because so many questions are frequent, and it is difficult to briefly annotate the limitations of such an answer in this type of forum. Sometimes the problem is such answers are right too often, and often for the wrong reasons. Too brief answers for too brief questions, may be something we just have to deal with. If it leads to guru's running for the sanctuary of walled gardens, we all lose.
        • 46. Re: Don't you get that feeling ....
          Aman....
          961469 wrote:

how about some frequent posters reading previous answers and seeing that the question has already been answered repat it to get their post count up, in one case I seen the exact same answer repeated 4 posts in a row with the excuse given that the post was still open, like that is a given pass to preclude anyone from viewing the answers already given.
          I guess this is going to be having two different reasons possible. One, for some questions (probably more easy ones) , there are many immediate replies and at that time, there are many answers even when the answer is there somewhere above and some times, some just do it, even when the question is answered already.
          And how about not providing GPA's (garden path answers) which Ive seen more prolific examples in recent months. posting the results of an OERR output, is not an answer, it just gets your post count up.
          The GPA answer , as you have put it, is given when the given question is actually there in the documentation or if the error description and it's related action are quite straight forward to follow. For example, if someone is not able to find the right command to set value for a parameter, what one should do, point him to the docs or give the actual command? Or for example, if someone asks what is a tablespace , what should be the reply, a self written answer or a link to the docs? Depending on the question, the OERR output or a link to the docs or even a response containing LMGTFY is also given but most of the times, the intention is to point the person to the right direction rather than bothering about the post count. Because a high post count doesn't automatically mean one is knowledgable or other way around that if one is having lesser posts, it means he/she is not good technically.
          I posted a question here recently on an insufficient privileges, was a fairly detailed grant with admin example with all the steps Id taken to fix. the answer I got from a poster with a high post count was "fix the privileges". Again, this does nothing but get post count up. If you dont know the answer, you dont have to post the results of an OERR, you dont have to post the link to a document with privileges. the answer could be buried within several hundred pages of that doc which would take weeks to get through.
          Well I can speak about me that if I won't know the answer , I shall mention it and would wait for someone else to add some useful answer to the question. But at times, what you said also happens and probably that's the time when it is done just to bump up the post count.
          If thats as helpful as it gets You may as well lock this entire sit down and have one post at the top pointing at tahiti
          Well, most of the questions would be answered from doing so but still one can't say with conviction that people would really go and read /search the docs!
          After ten years, thats the feeling Ive been getting on there for last 12 months or so.
          Stay here for some more time and you would see that there are many other members whose replies, doesn't matter how small or big they are, are simply a goldmine of knowledge.

Aman....
          • 47. Re: Don't you get that feeling ....
            EdStevens
            961469 wrote:

Sometime the 'additional' post of a 'correct' answer occurs because the two responders were writing their reponses and posting at the same time. I've often started on a response, and by the time I actually finished writing and posting, someone else had 'beat me to it'.

And often it is out of a desire to expand, clarify, or correct an essentially correct response. I often see responses that are technically correct (as far as they go) and fix the OP's immediate issue, but I feel they can be mis-interpreted or leave out important information that would help the OP understand the fix and be able to apply the principles involved when new problems arise.

In neither case are the 'additional' posts motivated by a desire to up the post count.

Now, I do know of some individuals who consistently post almost exactly the same reply (almost a direct quote) as someone had posted earlier ... and the time difference was plenty sufficient that the 'me too' poster should have known. In those cases I suspect the motive you indicate but those are the exception rather than the rule.
            Usually this type of response is given when it appears (maybe not always accurately) that the OP hasn't done even a minimal amount of research on their own. It is intended to not only provide the requested information, but hopefully to help the OP realize how he might become more self-sufficient.

I doubt that very many people deliberately try to up their posting counts, though I've seen a very few who I suspect are/were doing that.

>

A lot of us (myself included) are more interested in helping people become more knowledgeable, more understanding of the technology, and thus more self-sufficient and better able to do what their employer is paying them to do than we are interested in providing quick fixes. And that means specifically NOT providing a quick, concise answer to the immediate question. It means answering a question with a question designed to help them think things through and realize they had the answer at their fingertips. It means pointing them to the specific doc reference and having them explain back what they don't understand about the doc's explanation. Sometimes it even means a little mis-direction to get them to learn how to look something up on their own.
            • 48. Re: Don't you get that feeling ....
              Hemant K Chitale
              Hmm. A large number of responses indicates that this is a "popular" (in the sense "we feel it !") topic.

Hemant K Chitale
              • 49. Re: Don't you get that feeling ....
                swapnil kambli
                Hi all,

Most of the time we see repeating questions on how to convert to CSV or on performance tunning.Though this all has been vey well documented in FAQ page,either people don't bother to search before they ask or they simply don't know if there is such thing as a FAQ page.Google often lands you to a post regarding a post of similar kind and not that FAQ page.

What I want to suggest is,when you try to ask a question on asktom.com,it gives to a small popup before you even start typing your question stating his rules and not asking a new question.Can some thing like that sort be implemented here also? That should have link to FAQ page links plus marking question answered etc.

And yes I do feel some people are taking short cut to what they want achieve.Many of them don't know what they want to achieve.They simply don't understand, the help they expect to get here ,are given by people who have their full time job to take care of.
                • 50. Re: Don't you get that feeling ....
                  Osama_Mustafa
                  swapnil kambli wrote:
                  Hi all,

Most of the time we see repeating questions on how to convert to CSV or on performance tunning.Though this all has been vey well documented in FAQ page,either people don't bother to search before they ask or they simply don't know if there is such thing as a FAQ page.Google often lands you to a post regarding a post of similar kind and not that FAQ page.

What I want to suggest is,when you try to ask a question on asktom.com,it gives to a small popup before you even start typing your question stating his rules and not asking a new question.Can some thing like that sort be implemented here also? That should have link to FAQ page links plus marking question answered etc.

And yes I do feel some people are taking short cut to what they want achieve.Many of them don't know what they want to achieve.They simply don't understand, the help they expect to get here ,are given by people who have their full time job to take care of.
                  For the comments and suggestion about that please post it here
                  We are upgrading OTN Forums!  This is the place for questions and comments.
                  • 51. Re: Don't you get that feeling ....
                    Aman....
                    swapnil kambli wrote:
                    Hi all,

From tomorrow, the forum upgrade is going to start so I believe, it's a little late for the suggestions .

Aman....
                    1 2 3 4 Previous Next