4 Replies Latest reply: Apr 30, 2013 10:17 AM by Colm Divilly RSS

Apex configuration is lost everytime jboss is stopped and restarted

Keith Jamieson
      Apex listener version: 1.0.2.238.15.24
      Web server: JBOSS AS 7.1.1

Firstly I know that this is an old version of the listener but it wont be upgraded for the current project (unless there is a complete showstopper).

The problem I am having is that every time I stop and restart Jboss, the listener configuration is lost.

Obviously , we cannot deliver our apex to the clients in this state.

It appears that it is using the Java temp directory to store the listener configuration

How do I specify the configuration directory to be used
      How do I prevent the configuration from being lost.
        • 1. Re: Apex configuration is lost everytime jboss is stopped and restarted
          Tim St. H.
          This will help:

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/developer-tools/apex-listener/apex-listener-v1-157668.pdf

The V1 of the listener used the web.xml in the deployment directory to determine where it got the configuration from. By default it is your JAVA TEMP.
          As a general practice, you want to change that to a more persistent location.

From Page 50 - Configuration File

1) $HOME/<Mount Point>/apex-config.xml
          2) ${config.dir}/<Mount Point>/apex-config.xml ( from web.xml )

Adjust the ${config.dir} in the web.xml file created after the listener is deployed.

NOTE: if you re-deploy or remove the deployment of the apexlistener.war, you will need to re-apply this setting manually.

This is one of the major improvements with the newer version of the listener.

Regards,
          --Tim St.
          enkitec
          • 2. Re: Apex configuration is lost everytime jboss is stopped and restarted
            Colm Divilly
            Here's a direct link to the relevant section of the HTML documentation:

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E21611_01/doc.11/e21058/config_file.htm#BABCIJJG

To expand on Tim's explanation the reason the configuration is being lost on each JBoss restart is that JBoss is overriding the value of the Java java.io.tmpdir system property, and wiping that folder each time JBoss restarts (so that temporary files generated by JBoss get cleaned up regularly).
            • 3. Re: Apex configuration is lost everytime jboss is stopped and restarted
              Keith Jamieson
              So now I believe that there is a bug with my version of the listener,as it only ever seems to use the java temp directory.

I am using apex version 3.2

What version of the apex listener can I use against this version of apex.
              • 4. Re: Apex configuration is lost everytime jboss is stopped and restarted
                Colm Divilly
                Keith Jamieson wrote:
                So now I believe that there is a bug with my version of the listener,as it only ever seems to use the java temp directory.

I am using apex version 3.2

What version of the apex listener can I use against this version of apex.
                Can you clarify what the bug is, are you saying that you specified the config.dir setting, and it made no difference?

Listener is not tied to a specific APEX version, or vice versa.

The latest version of the 1.x.x series is 1.1.4, and 1.0.2 has a few bugs, so I would recommend upgrading to at least 1.1.4.

2.0.1 is currently the latest release of Listener 2.0.x, it makes specifiying the configuration folder much easier, but the setup and configuration process is substantially different from 1.x.x.

I also assume you are aware that JBoss is not a supported application server. We never test on it, so I've no idea if 1.1.4 or 2.0.1 work properly on it, they should work, but each app server has enough quirks that's impossible to assert that listener will work on them with certainty, unless we've done testing on the application server.