This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: May 1, 2013 7:59 AM by user8030589 RSS

Direct Database Request - EBS

user8030589 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi All,

I am new to OBIEE but have a question regarding Direct Database Request. We have our EBS data stored in the OBIEE Data Warehouse but we'd also like to be able to use some of our Oracle SQL Developer queries against our EBS database directly using OBIEE as the platform.

Is there any issue with having our EBS data in the data warehouse as well as a data source for Direct Database Requests? I read something about security concerns involving write-access. I figure it's easier to use our SQL queries that we have already created than to attempt to map all of the tables and fields into the data warehouse. Also, some of the queries would be nice to have in real-time.

Thx,
Mike
  • 1. Re: Direct Database Request - EBS
    Srini VEERAVALLI Guru
    I dont think there would be any issues, check these
    http://www.rittmanmead.com/2012/06/using-obiee-against-transactional-schemas-part-1-introduction/
    http://obiee100.blogspot.com/2011/07/using-obiee-for-reporting-directly.html
    https://s3.amazonaws.com/rmc_docs/oow2010_bryson_realtime_dw.pdf

mark if helps
  • 2. Re: Direct Database Request - EBS
    Ahsan Shah Expert
    You can do this but note that the EBS queries will be "real time" but the DW will have the ETL latency/lag depending on the frequency of the loads. Overall, nothing wrong with this as long as it does not impact the EBS system performance and you separate these from the DW data that is of a different latency.

Pls mark if helpful
  • 3. Re: Direct Database Request - EBS
    user8030589 Newbie
    thx for the responses.

So to be clear, I assume the data in EBS will remain outside of OBIEE and I will simply be querying it. I don't have to worry about the transactional EBS data getting tangled in the data within the warehouse right? Also, are there any security concerns? I typically use an Appsro (read-only) user when querying EBS data. Will I have the option of using read-only or will I have write access? I ask b/c I read something about this that warned of security risk of overwriting data.

Much Appreciated,
    Mike
  • 4. Re: Direct Database Request - EBS
    Srini VEERAVALLI Guru
    I don't have to worry about the transactional EBS data getting tangled in the data within the warehouse right? Also, are there any security concerns?
    I dont think so.
    I typically use an Appsro (read-only) user when querying EBS data. Will I have the option of using read-only or will I have write access? I ask b/c I read something about this that warned of security risk of overwriting data.
    Read only is fine, since BI is to see data, unless you implement Write-back functionality there wont be any write(data updates) in db.

Edited by: Srini VEERAVALLI on May 1, 2013 9:51 AM

It would be nice if you mark on helped suggestion too.

Edited by: Srini VEERAVALLI on May 1, 2013 10:22 AM
  • 5. Re: Direct Database Request - EBS
    user8030589 Newbie
    Thx for all your help.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points