1 2 Previous Next 25 Replies Latest reply: May 3, 2013 9:32 PM by EdStevens RSS

How to create file listener.ora

yxes2013
      Hi all,

My emca start dbconsole ...failed because I do not have listener.ora in network/admin. My listener runs on default config only

I can not run gui netca bacause I connect remote only using putty.

I want to run netca in silent mode to create the file listener.ora.... can you give me sample response.file for netca?

Thanks

Edited by: yxes2013 on 3.5.2013 4:14
        • 1. Re: How to create file listener.ora
          John Stegeman
          Just create it. It's just a text file.
          • 2. Re: How to create file listener.ora
            DK2010
            Hi,

Create a file using vi in unix and then configure the Entry give the hostname/ service name, You can get the sample from

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/B28359_01/network.111/b28317/listener.htm

HTH
            • 3. Re: How to create file listener.ora
              yxes2013
              I do not know what exactly to put on plsqlproc variables :(

I want netca to create it for me.

Will listener.ora in 9i , will also run if copied to 10g and 11g netadmin?
              • 4. Re: How to create file listener.ora
                John Stegeman
                If you are not using extproc, you don't need it. Since you don't have a listener.ora, it's pretty certain you don't need it.

If you really want to use netca, go to a machine for which you have GUI access and run netca there and copy the listener.ora file.

But I'll give you a free hint: external procs are documented. Guess where? In the documentation
                • 5. Re: How to create file listener.ora
                  DK2010
                  Hi

Yes, Change the oracle_home/port/hostname accordingly
                  • 6. Re: How to create file listener.ora
                    John Stegeman
                    My emca start dbconsole ...failed because I do not have listener.ora in network/admin
                    Can you point to the documentation or an error message that indicates this is the reason?

The command, by the way, is emctl, not emca

I renamed my listener.ora to something else, started my listener, and "emctl start dbconsole" works just fine.
                    • 7. Re: How to create file listener.ora
                      yxes2013
                      The is GLOBAL_DBNAME parameter in listener.ora. How do I know if my database uses global database name of not? Is it safe just to put it same with SID_NAME?
                      • 8. Re: How to create file listener.ora
                        John Stegeman
                        Did you read the **** documentation? Believe it or not, this parameter is explained.
                        • 9. Re: How to create file listener.ora
                          yxes2013
                          Can you point to the documentation or an error message that indicates this is the reason?
                          Well experience is a better teacher. I remember I encounter emca error before and It just resolved when I created lisnter.ora, so I wanna try it.

But I check the other PROD server and it works there even w/o listener.ora. Maybe it will work after that I can delete the listener.ora once emca get started.
                          • 10. Re: How to create file listener.ora
                            John Stegeman
                            I encounter emca error before and It just resolved when I created lisnter.ora, so I wanna try it.
                            I doubt that listener.ora was the cause.
                            Well experience is a better teacher.
                            No, trying to find the cause of an issue is a better teacher, not just trying random things - that's a good way to teach yourself things like "emctl start dbconsole doesn't work without a listener.ora," which is patently false.
                            once emca get started
                            The command is not "emca," maybe that is your problem.

We don't know, because you haven't copied/pasted anything here, including the error message
                            • 11. Re: How to create file listener.ora
                              yxes2013
                              Then how can you explain this error :(
                              https://dbserver:5500/em/console/aboutApplication
                              Starting Oracle Enterprise Manager 10g Database Control ..........................
                              ................................................................... failed.
                              ------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Logs are generated in directory /u01/oracle/product/10.2/db_1/dbserver_PROD/sysman/log
                              WARNING: Error retrieving listener for dbserver
                              May 3, 2013 5:52:42 PM oracle.sysman.emcp.ParamsManager getLocalListener
                              CONFIG: Stack trace:
                              oracle.sysman.emcp.exception.EMConfigException: <Error CONTEXT="NoListener" >
                              No listener found in "/u01/oracle/product/10.2/db_1/network/admin/listener.ora" which is listening on port "1521"
                              </Error>

at oracle.sysman.emcp.target.ListenerTargetDiscovery.getListenerTarget(ListenerTargetDiscovery.java:201)
                                      at oracle.sysman.emcp.target.ListenerTargetDiscovery.getListenerTarget(ListenerTargetDiscovery.java:97)
                                      at oracle.sysman.emcp.ParamsManager.getLocalListener(ParamsManager.java:860)
                                      at oracle.sysman.emcp.EMAgentConfig.updateTargets(EMAgentConfig.java:2945)
                                      at oracle.sysman.emcp.EMAgentConfig.updateAgentConfigFiles(EMAgentConfig.java:2670)
                                      at oracle.sysman.emcp.EMAgentConfig.performConfiguration(EMAgentConfig.java:1203)
                                      at oracle.sysman.emcp.EMAgentConfig.invoke(EMAgentConfig.java:229)
                              • 12. Re: How to create file listener.ora
                                John Stegeman
                                I found plenty of information in Google, but I'll let you search for it yourself.
                                • 13. Re: How to create file listener.ora
                                  yxes2013
                                  I found many also, but they are NOT able to resolve my issue :(
                                  • 14. Re: How to create file listener.ora
                                    John Stegeman
                                    Well, since you are drip-feeding information to us, and you haven't told us what you have tried, there's not much we can do to help. Getting information out of you is like pulling teeth, and I don't like pulling teeth.

I'd suggest you contact support, since prying information out of you is one of the things they get paid to do.
                                    1 2 Previous Next