This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: May 5, 2013 11:39 PM by MahirM.Quluzade RSS

Oracle 11gr2 Datagurad with OMF

User321378 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Dear Experts,

i have requirement to set the Datagurad in 11gr2 Database(11.2.0.3) and they are using OMF so for sure i know i cannot use db_file_name_convert and log_file_name_convert.

please clarify me on below points?

1) since DB is of size 100+GB, i will take backup of database and scp the files to DR server and initiate the Restore database to standby command.

here below are my doubts

a) since in OMF do we need to per-create the directories in DR side?
for sure i have set the db_create_file_dest and db_recovery_area_dest are availabile. what about full extension of datafiles like

db_create_file_dest=/u02/oradata

so datafiles in DR will be restore as
/u02/oradata/<DB_UNIQUE_NAME>/datafile
/u02/oradata/<DB_UNIQUE_NAME>/onlinelog
/u02/oradata/<DB_UNIQUE_NAME>/controlfile

so do i need to manually create the directories as Above or Oracle will create by its self based on the pfile parameters and db_unique name?

please help me here ?

also since i employ OMF i know db_file_name_convert and log_file_name_convert is no required, please confirm this also.
  • 1. Re: Oracle 11gr2 Datagurad with OMF
    Sunny kichloo Expert
    This will help

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e25608/scenarios.htm#i1067236
  • 2. Re: Oracle 11gr2 Datagurad with OMF
    MahirM.Quluzade Guru
    Hi,
    842949 wrote:
    Dear Experts,

i have requirement to set the Datagurad in 11gr2 Database(11.2.0.3) and they are using OMF so for sure i know i cannot use db_file_name_convert and log_file_name_convert.

please clarify me on below points?

1) since DB is of size 100+GB, i will take backup of database and scp the files to DR server and initiate the Restore database to standby command.
    You must start standby database nomount mode, and 1 restore standby controlfile from backup.
    Then mount database.
    here below are my doubts

a) since in OMF do we need to per-create the directories in DR side?
    for sure i have set the db_create_file_dest and db_recovery_area_dest are availabile. what about full extension of datafiles like

db_create_file_dest=/u02/oradata

so datafiles in DR will be restore as
    /u02/oradata/<DB_UNIQUE_NAME>/datafile
    /u02/oradata/<DB_UNIQUE_NAME>/onlinelog
    /u02/oradata/<DB_UNIQUE_NAME>/controlfile

so do i need to manually create the directories as Above or Oracle will create by its self based on the pfile parameters and db_unique name?
    Folders will create automatically, don't forget set DB_UNIQUE_NAME of standby database, you can use following parameters as
    set db_create_file_dest='/u02/oradata'
    set db_create_online_log_dest_1='/u02/oradata'
    set db_create_online_log_dest_2='/u02/oradata'
    set db_recovery_file_dest='/u02/fast_recovery_area'
    Can you paste here, you steps for creation of standby database?

Regards
    Mahir M. Quluzade
  • 3. Re: Oracle 11gr2 Datagurad with OMF
    User321378 Newbie
    Hi Mahir,

You must start standby database nomount mode, and 1 restore standby controlfile from backup.
    Then mount database.

a) i will keed the Standby DB in NOMOUNT state and
    i didnt get the point (1 restore standby controlfile from backup. )?

generally restore command will do the work of restoring controlfile and proceeding?

may i know what steps i should follow?
  • 4. Re: Oracle 11gr2 Datagurad with OMF
    User321378 Newbie
    1) Steps:
    i will follow the below steps from jeffhunter

http://www.idevelopment.info/data/Oracle/DBA_tips/Data_Guard/DG_40.shtml

a) keep the standby in NOMOUNT state, after making necessary changes in the pfile with respect to standby like db_unique_name,db_create_file_dest,online_logfile_dest_1,online_logfile_dest_2,db_recovery_file_dest?
    b) duplicate target database for standby.

but in that document they mentioned to manually create the directories ? thats the reason i posted here why we need to create the directories as per OMF since Oracle will create it automatically?

also mahir, i seen your documents for DG BROKER which was very helpfull for me thanks a lot.
  • 5. Re: Oracle 11gr2 Datagurad with OMF
    MahirM.Quluzade Guru
    842949 wrote:
    1) Steps:
    i will follow the below steps from jeffhunter

http://www.idevelopment.info/data/Oracle/DBA_tips/Data_Guard/DG_40.shtml
    Looks good article.
    >
    a) keep the standby in NOMOUNT state, after making necessary changes in the pfile with respect to standby like db_unique_name,db_create_file_dest,online_logfile_dest_1,online_logfile_dest_2,db_recovery_file_dest?
    Yes, look in article "Create and Start the Standby Instance' : *SQL> startup nomount*
    b) duplicate target database for standby.
    Then RMAN automatically restore standby control file and mount it.
    but in that document they mentioned to manually create the directories ?
    thats the reason i posted here why we need to create the directories as per OMF since Oracle will create it automatically?
    I think as you, oracle automatically create folders when you create database.
    But you are using RMAN for restore database. I think RMAN can't create folders.
    He is create manually for this reason.
    also mahir, i seen your documents for DG BROKER which was very helpfull for me thanks a lot.
    You are welcome!

Mahir

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points