This discussion is archived
2 Replies Latest reply: May 13, 2013 11:37 AM by BSalesRashid RSS

Datapump + TDE issues

BSalesRashid Explorer
Currently Being Moderated
Hello guys,
I am using Oracle RAC 10.2.0.5 with 3 nodes.

In a few months i will have to do a migration between two servers with different versions,
the problem is :

I have a some columns from tables encrypted with TDE.
I will need to move these encrypted data to a new server: A Oracle RAC with 2 nodes 11.2.0.3.

I have some issues about what to do with these sensitive data:

It's known that when exporting with datapump we must use the parameter "encryption_password=password"

And how about the wallet? should i make a copy to the new environment? to the same physical address ? to all nodes?

I've searched a little, but not found nothing specific for this kind of issue.

I hope you guys understand my issue.

If anybody passed through this, please give me a hint.

Thanks in advance.
  • 1. Re: Datapump + TDE issues
    Zoltan Kecskemethy Expert
    Hi,

I understand your plan but I'm not sure if this is the recommended way to achieve this. You may have reasons to use data pump but oracle recommends to do rolling upgrades of RAC as far as I know. So you would upgrade databases one by one. Even if you have new system. You could setup a similar 10g version in the new system first and do an upgrade after.
    E.g. I would do manual in place upgrade and would follow [url https://support.oracle.com/epmos/faces/DocContentDisplay?_afrLoop=261093381551167&id=837570.1&_afrWindowMode=0&_adf.ctrl-state=lmcedwygq_134]Complete Checklist for Manual Upgrades to 11gR2 ID 837570.1 from MOS and this document has a TDE part. Which would advice you what to do with your encripted data and wallet.
    There is a reference here to [url https://support.oracle.com/epmos/faces/DocContentDisplay?_afrLoop=264086096556673&id=1260584.1&_afrWindowMode=0&_adf.ctrl-state=lmcedwygq_156]Ora-28374 After Migration To 11.2.0.x from earlier releases 10gR2 or 11gR1 ID 1260584.1 that points you may have issues if you miss this previous step.

So if you still follow expdp/impdp path you may need this fix at the end. And yes you would need to copy the wallet to the new environment in this migration process I think. As you would do in the upgrade path as well.

HTH, Zoltan
  • 2. Re: Datapump + TDE issues
    BSalesRashid Explorer
    Hi,
    We just did it by using datapump and encryption_password + copying wallet, in a test environment, we don't received errors yet.
    Thanks by providing some information about the issue.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points