This discussion is archived
1 Reply Latest reply: May 7, 2013 1:47 PM by PoorFrodo RSS

Installing VNC Server on Oracle VM Server

1007404 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I have an Oracle Linux VM Server that I download from Oracle official site, the version is (running uname -mrs):

Linux 2.6.18-8.1.15.1.16.el5xen i686

When I run the command "yum install tigervnc-server" I got the following message:

"Loading "installonlyn" plugin
Setting up Install Process
Setting up repositories
No Repositories Available to Set Up
Reading repository metadata in from local files
Parsing package install arguments
Setting up repositories
No Repositories Available to Set Up
Reading repository metadata in from local files
No Match for argument: tigervnc-server
Nothing to do"

Does the tigervnc-server comes by default in this type of server? If not, where can I download it? Or how can I install the VNC SERVER?

I need to install the VNC Server so I can connect from my local machine via VNC Client in order to continue with the installation of Oracle DB Template for Siebel CRM.
I am following the guide: "Oracle Virtual Machine Template for Siebel CRM Installation Guide"

Thanks!
  • 1. Re: Installing VNC Server on Oracle VM Server
    PoorFrodo Newbie
    Currently Being Moderated
    Oracle VM 3 is significantly different from Oracle VM 2.

You don't install VNC server on the Oracle VM Servers. You install a VNC console on the management server where you installed Oracle VM Manager (NOTE: I said VNC console, not VNC server)

Once the VNC console has been installed on the same server as Oracle VM Manager, then use the "Launch Console" icon that becomes enabled when you select any Oracle VM Guest in the manager UI.

Here is a link to the instructions for installing the VNC console:

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E35328_01/E35330/html/vmiug-manager-install.html#vmiug-manager-vncviewer-install

As long as I'm writing here... a NOTE OF CAUTION (sorry for yelling, but its important :-) Oracle VM 3 is completely, utterly different from Oracle VM 2. Don't use any of the tips, tricks, skills or command line processes you learned over the years working with Oracle VM 2. In fact, to be most successful with Oracle VM 3 don't even bother logging onto the Oracle VM server after installing the product - there is absolutely nothing to do on the command line. Do everything through the UI.

- Don't set up networking on the command line
    - Don't make changes to dm-multipath
    - Don't make changes to modprob.conf
    - Don't make changes to sysctl.conf
    etc...

Hope this helps - sorry if I come across as professor know-it-all - just trying to save you a lot of time

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points