5 Replies Latest reply: May 8, 2013 2:24 PM by Levi Pereira RSS

11gR2 Database services not able to register to SCAN Listener

Hi,

I have 3 SCAN listener on 2 nodes rac. However I notice one database instance services is unable to register into remote SCAN.

Good service registration, both local and remote instances and services register to SCAN
      node2 => lsnrctl services LISTENER_SCAN1

LSNRCTL for IBM/AIX RISC System/6000: Version 11.2.0.3.0 - Production on 08-MAY-2013 10:06:20

Copyright (c) 1991, 2011, Oracle. All rights reserved.

Connecting to (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=IPC)(KEY=LISTENER_SCAN1)))
      Services Summary...
      Service "TST55" has 2 instance(s).
      Instance "TST551", status READY, has 1 handler(s) for this service...
      Handler(s):
      "DEDICATED" established:149 refused:0 state:ready
      REMOTE SERVER
      (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=10.12.135.204)(PORT=1521)))
      Instance "TST552", status READY, has 1 handler(s) for this service...
      Handler(s):
      "DEDICATED" established:530 refused:0 state:ready
      REMOTE SERVER
      (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=10.12.135.205)(PORT=1521)))
      The command completed successfully

Fail service registration, only local instances and services register to SCAN
      node 1=>lsnrctl services listener_scan2

LSNRCTL for IBM/AIX RISC System/6000: Version 11.2.0.3.0 - Production on 08-MAY-2013 10:08:32

Connecting to (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=IPC)(KEY=LISTENER_SCAN2)))
      Services Summary...
      Service "TST55" has 1 instance(s).
      Handler(s):
      "DEDICATED" established:851 refused:0 state:ready
      REMOTE SERVER

node 1 =>lsnrctl services listener_scan3

LSNRCTL for IBM/AIX RISC System/6000: Version 11.2.0.3.0 - Production on 08-MAY-2013 10:08:57

Connecting to (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=IPC)(KEY=LISTENER_SCAN3)))
      Services Summary...
      Service "TST55" has 1 instance(s).
      Handler(s):
      "DEDICATED" established:766 refused:0 state:ready
      REMOTE SERVER

grid account is used for clusterware and listener/SCAN listener start from grid home.
      oracle acount is used for rdbms.

The remote_listener in both database instance is

remote_listener string TST55-SCAN.xxxx.com:1521

Any reason that it behaving this way. And sometimes it not able to register services into SCAN listener, so when I connect to database using TST55-SCAN in the tnsnames.ora it will complaint no services name.

Thank you.
        • 1. Re: 11gR2 Database services not able to register to SCAN Listener
          Levi Pereira
          Hi,
          Try this :

http://levipereira.wordpress.com/2011/05/03/configuring-client-to-use-scan-11-2-0/
          • 2. Re: 11gR2 Database services not able to register to SCAN Listener
            The above link give the guideline to SCAN setup and client connection, which also match my configuration. However my issue is that the services/instance is not always register to remote scan, looking for throubleshooting and resolution.
            • 3. Re: 11gR2 Database services not able to register to SCAN Listener
              Levi Pereira
              805755 wrote:
              The above link give the guideline to SCAN setup and client connection, which also match my configuration. However my issue is that the services/instance is not always register to remote scan, looking for throubleshooting and resolution.
              No, it's not a guideline to setup Scan, but only a checklist to validate your configuration. I created this post to help troubleshooting this type of issue which is very common in this forum. Typically caused by incorrect configurations.

1. You need to check if DNS client is configured correctly and working on all nodes. (i.n all nodes are resolving SCAN and VIP) ... (including DNS Search Order)

2. Post here SCAN and VIP configuration using srvctl

3. Post Database Parameter :
              select INST_ID, NAME, VALUE
                     from gv$parameter
                     where name like '%_listener%';
              Edited by: Levi Pereira on May 8, 2013 3:12 PM
              • 4. Re: 11gR2 Database services not able to register to SCAN Listener
                I found the cause of issue by following note: 11gR2 PMON Issue: Services Fail to Register to SCAN Listeners [ID 1448717.1]
                For some reason, the autoconfig create entry in tnsnames.ora (same entry that defined in REMOTE_LISTENER), the pmon trace file generate error number 12545). Once I delete the entry from tnsnames.ora and alter system register, it will still generate the seame error number 12545. However when I wait for few more minutes and alter system register again, the server registration become succesfull, which I don't understand why I need to wait to reflect the change since I can force PMON to register service again.
                • 5. Re: 11gR2 Database services not able to register to SCAN Listener
                  Levi Pereira
                  805755 wrote:
                  I found the cause of issue by following note: 11gR2 PMON Issue: Services Fail to Register to SCAN Listeners [ID 1448717.1]
                  For some reason, the autoconfig create entry in tnsnames.ora (same entry that defined in REMOTE_LISTENER), the pmon trace file generate error number 12545). Once I delete the entry from tnsnames.ora and alter system register, it will still generate the seame error number 12545. However when I wait for few more minutes and alter system register again, the server registration become succesfull, which I don't understand why I need to wait to reflect the change since I can force PMON to register service again.
                  PMON read some files (like sqlnet.ora) on startup and keep it in memory cache, maybe it's a delay to re-read these files after configuration changes.

In some cases is necessary restart instance after change these files to force pmon re-read it.

Alter system register only force PMON to Register on listener, don't force pmon read configuration files on filesystem.

Please, close all your thread when you get answer keeping the forum clean and useful for all users.