This discussion is archived
12 Replies Latest reply: May 9, 2013 11:26 PM by BillyVerreynne RSS

Creating new Linux server

user516232 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I am going to create a new database server. Should I use Oracle Linux 6.x or the more tried Oracle Linux 5.x?
I am going to migrate an Oracle database from HPUX using Oracle 11.2.
Peter
  • 1. Re: Creating new Linux server
    Dude! Guru
    It depends on which exact version of Oracle 11gR2 you are planning to install (4 digits) and what OS support your hardware demands. Only 11.2.0.3 and later is certified for Oracle Linux 6. For OS support I suggest to check the vendor support page.
  • 2. Re: Creating new Linux server
    user516232 Newbie
    Thanks Dude.
    I will be using Oracle 11.2.0.3, so that is good that it is certified for Oracle Linux 6. I have heard that there are probelms with Linux 6.x.

Is anyone currently running Oracle Linux 6 with Oracle 11.2.0.3? If so, did you have any problems? Any suggestions?

Peter
  • 3. Re: Creating new Linux server
    Dude! Guru
    RHEL 6 and Oracle Linux 6 have been around for quite a while and are already at update 4 (6.4). Most pressing issues should have been sorted out already. Which problems do you have in mind?

Oracle Linux 6 will give you features not available in Oracle Linux 5. If I was setting up a new server from scratch I would go for Oracle Linux 6.4. I would not necessarily upgrade any existing Oracle Linux 5 system to Oracle Linux 6 unless I require some features that are not available with the Oracle UEK kernel.

Note that RHEL and Oracle Linux does not officially support any major version upgrade. So if you install Oracle Linux 5, you will have to start from scratch again when you decide to upgrade to Oracle Linux 6.

As I previously mentioned, I suggest to check your hardware vendor about OS requirements.
  • 4. Re: Creating new Linux server
    alvaromiranda Explorer
    As dude have suggested, you should check first the hardware to validate it's certified.

With that being said, if you want to go with Oracle Linux 6, a lot of the work is already implemented to make your life easy.

Once you install, you can use the rpm oracle-rdbms-server-11gR2-preinstall.x86_64 that will install all the needed dependencies and perform the intial setup for sysctl and limits.conf, it will create oracle user if not exists.

If you don't have paid support for ULN, you can connect your machine to public-yum and do a full update

If you want to use ASMlib and ASM on top of that, the modules came included on kernel-uek, being the last version 2.6.39-400

You need to install oracleasm-support to have the commands to create/mark the disks as ASM devices.

Alvaro.
  • 5. Re: Creating new Linux server
    AmitShil Newbie
    If it helps we have got hell lot of Oracle RACs running 11.2.03 on OEL5u6 and OEL5u8s, we still don't have a OEL6uX flavour but guess there shouldn't be any issue running the oracle 11gR3 on its given its running quite fine in the 5uX flavours.

RegardsAmit
  • 6. Re: Creating new Linux server
    user516232 Newbie
    I do not have any specifics as to any problems with OEL 6, other than someone said that they had heard of prople having issues with that version a few months ago.

That is why I am asking the question: Do you or anyone you know have OEL 6.x installed and running with Oracle 11.2.0.3.

Peter
  • 7. Re: Creating new Linux server
    EdStevens Guru
    user516232 wrote:
    I do not have any specifics as to any problems with OEL 6, other than someone said that they had heard of prople having issues with that version a few months ago.
    Well, it's really not too difficult to find someone (or is that "somone"?) who has "issues" with any version of any software.
    It could be an issue with the software. It could be a problem between "someone"'s keyboard and chair.
    And if it is an issue with the software, it could very well be an obscure issue dealing with a very specific set of circumstances that the vast majority of customers never see. The only bug free software is that which contains the single instruction "EXIT" (or whatever equivilent for the language being used).
    That is why I am asking the question: Do you or anyone you know have OEL 6.x installed and running with Oracle 11.2.0.3.

Peter
  • 8. Re: Creating new Linux server
    alvaromiranda Explorer
    For databases and RAC, all our new installation are being done on OEL 6.x

For Weblogic and oher products, all our new installation are being done on OEL 6.x

All new Linux install are OL6.x at least someone ask for OL5.x

Since couple of weeks, all the products for EBS R12 have been certified, so we will doing the same.

OEL6 have been out for like a year or so.
  • 9. Re: Creating new Linux server
    user12611628 Explorer
    Sorry Alvaro for being a nitpick, it's not OEL, it's OL. The "E" in OEL was dropped some years ago.
    And I believe OL 6.0 was released in early 2011. But Oracle Database 11g and most applications were certified only around OL 6.2 release or later. So for new installations using Oracle Linux 6.(latest) is a good choice.
  • 10. Re: Creating new Linux server
    Dude! Guru
    After the release of Oracle Enterprise Linux 5.5 in April 2010, Oracle introduced the Oracle UEK kernel as an optional component. From what I remember, the name Oracle Linux appeared a couple of month before version 5.6 appeared in Jan 2011. Starting with Oracle Linux 5.6, the product was released under the name Oracle Linux with the UEK kernel as the default kernel.

Oracle 11.2.0.3 was released Sept 2011. Certification of Oracle 11gR2 for Oracle Linux 6 was a couple of month before the release of the oracle-rdbms-server-11gR2-preinstall package, which was released in March 2012 under Oracle Linux 6.2.
  • 11. Re: Creating new Linux server
    alvaromiranda Explorer
    Oracle keep changing the names, so I am ok with that, just some stuck harder than other.

:)

OEL, OL..

Grid Control, Cloud Control

Clusterware, Grid

IAS, FMW
  • 12. Re: Creating new Linux server
    BillyVerreynne Oracle ACE
    user516232 wrote:

Yes. On 3 servers I have OL 6.4 and Oracle 11.2.0.3 (Grid Infrastructure/ASM and Oracle Enterprise) running.

As for problems/issues - nothing but the normal problems and issues ito queries doing tons of I/O and causing performance issues, or sessions being serialised because of row lock contention and latching buffer chains, and so on.

What did you expect? A mini nuclear explosion? ;-)

The basic issue is simply to run certified combinations of h/w and o/s, and o/s and Oracle. If you want all this to simply work out-the-box, then you need to buy the box from Oracle. And not buy the box from a h/w vendor and then stick the o/s and Oracle on it. The box is called Oracle Database Appliance.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points