I've worked with automating deployments using SCCM for a few years now and love it. A week ago, I went through the usual steps to deploy the latest Java 7 Update 21. During testing, though, it didn't work.
When installing Java 7 Update 21, the installation status gets to about 80%, then hangs. A window appears in the background which says "There was a problem starting C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7\bin\installer.dll. The specified module could not be found"
Since then, I have spent more time trying to get it to work than on anything else recently. I mean hours upon hours. I'm applying it to our company Gold Image (which currently has Java 7 Update 17 installed) and for testing have been using 4 Hyper-V VMs so that after a test, I can restore to checkpoint and test again in seconds. Below are some stats as well as
a list of what I've tried so far...
- Installing to Gold Image which is Windows 7 x64
- Windows is fully updated to this month
- Java 7 Update 17 previously installed
What I've Tried
- Uninstalling Java 7u17 first
- Rebooting after uninstall
- Cleaning registry of Java-related keys (numerous different key combinations)
- Java cleaning scripts (Example)
- Registry / File snapshot comparisons
- Copying Java 7 Update 21's installer.dll (with and without all other installed files) to destination before installation
- Above step + registering it with regsvr32 (fails)
- Redownloading installation package / files
- Creating MST files / Not using MST files
- Installing straight from EXE (Usually I extract the MSI from deployment)
- Trying different MSIEXEC installation string switches
- Adding logging switches to MSIEXEC string (logs didn't show anything helpful)
Searched Google for hours
- Countless combinations of the above
Nothing ever appears in the Event Logs. Sometimes I can get it to install using some of the above methods without an error and it is even listed in Add/Remove Programs. When I go to Java's site to "verify the version", though, it errors out.