4 Replies Latest reply on May 12, 2013 3:07 AM by 1008276

    sql developer closes when testing connection

      I have windows 7 64 bit, but, also have ms office 32 bit, so, do need the 32 bit drivers.
      If my path starts with the location of the 32 bit drivers and I test my oracle connection in sql developer with the oci thick driver checked, I get the error stating can't use the 32 bit drivers with a 64 bit machine (Status : Failure -Test failed: C:\app\32BitDrivers\product\11.2.0\client_3\ocijdbc11.dll: Can't load IA 32-bit .dll on a AMD 64-bit platform).

      If the thick driver is unchecked, I get:
      Status : Failure -Test failed: ORA-01017: invalid username/password; logon denied
      I believe this is due to this database being set up to use something like a name validation server(?), because I can connect to another database that does not have that special authentication.

      If I have the path set to the 64 bit driver, sql developer will close when I try to test the connection with either the oci thick driver checked or un-checked (and testing either of the 2 databases).

      any ideas?
      sql developer Version
      jdk1.6.0_45 (came in the d/l with sql developer)
      oracle 11gR2
      sqlplus does connect to both databases
      Happen to have toad and was finally able to get it to connect to both databases.

      oh, btw, is the 32 bit driver sqora32.dll?
      what would the 64 bit driver be named?


      Edited by: user1219396 on May 10, 2013 9:36 AM
        • 1. Re: sql developer closes when testing connection
          also see that java is version "java version "1.7.0_21""
          • 2. Re: sql developer closes when testing connection
            Jim Smith
            Is your java 32 or 64 bit?

            In your first example, it looks as if you are trying to load a 32-bit dll from a 64-bit program which would indicate a 64-bit jvm.

            If you are using Java 7, then it isn't the one downloaded with sql developer.
            • 3. Re: sql developer closes when testing connection
              So, checking what java is running:
              C:\>java -version
              java version "1.7.0_21"
              Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_21-b11)
              Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 23.21-b01, mixed mode)

              However, I have C:\oracle\sqldeveloper\sqldeveloper\bin\sqldeveloper.conf showing
              SetJavaHome C:\oracle\sqldeveloper\jdk1.6.0_45

              Also, I thought that the loading 32 bit on 64 bit system message meant that sql developer was 64 bit. Does it matter is sql dev is 64 or 32 bit and how do I tell which it is?

              Also, there is a log file that shows up in the sql dev bin folder that matches the time when the program closes, like hs_err_pid12380.log. It's showing:
              # A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment:
              # EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xc0000005) at pc=0x000000006d9fd904, pid=13208, tid=8988
              # JRE version: 6.0_45-b06
              # Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (20.45-b01 mixed mode windows-amd64 compressed oops)
              # Problematic frame:
              # V [jvm.dll+0x11d904]
              So, appears that it is using the version specified in the .conf file. However, not seeing useful info in the log file, probably cause there's so much there.


              When I try to get it to use the 64 bit driver, sql developer just closes. So, not sure if I'm actually pointing to the right location or what.
              • 4. Re: sql developer closes when testing connection
                finally got it. It turned out it was a mis-match with the driver. I was able to edit my path and point to another version (client 11.2 instead of instant client) and it's now working.

                Just a slight difference in the files, like:
                ocijdbc11.dll dated 9/28/11 @ 100kb did not work
                ocijdbc11.dll dated 3/4/10 @ 135kb did work
                It was probably that file along with that file and OCI.dll and OraOCIEI11.dll which were the ones that had their paths change with I changed the environment path (which I saw in the log, here: