This discussion is archived
1 Reply Latest reply: May 10, 2013 12:29 PM by Joe Weinstein RSS

Got minus one from a read call SQLException from Eclipse IDE and TNSPING

pl_sequel Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
G'day,

This is a real head scratcher, and i have no idea where else to look.

running the following:

Oracle Database 11g Enterprise Edition 11.2.0.1.0 64bit Production on a windows 2008 R2 standard VM.

Up until 4 days ago, everything was working fine, then came in tuesday morning, and could no longer connect my Eclipse IDE (4.2 Juno) to the DB. Ping fails with following stacktrace:

java.sql.SQLException: Io exception: Got minus one from a read call
     at oracle.jdbc.driver.DatabaseError.throwSqlException(DatabaseError.java:125)
     at oracle.jdbc.driver.DatabaseError.throwSqlException(DatabaseError.java:162)
     at oracle.jdbc.driver.DatabaseError.throwSqlException(DatabaseError.java:274)
     at oracle.jdbc.driver.T4CConnection.logon(T4CConnection.java:328)
     at oracle.jdbc.driver.PhysicalConnection.<init>(PhysicalConnection.java:361)
     at oracle.jdbc.driver.T4CConnection.<init>(T4CConnection.java:151)
     at oracle.jdbc.driver.T4CDriverExtension.getConnection(T4CDriverExtension.java:32)
     at oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver.connect(OracleDriver.java:595)
     at org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.drivers.jdbc.JDBCConnection.createConnection(JDBCConnection.java:214)
     at org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.DriverConnectionBase.internalCreateConnection(DriverConnectionBase.java:105)
     at org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.DriverConnectionBase.open(DriverConnectionBase.java:54)
     at org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.drivers.jdbc.JDBCConnection.open(JDBCConnection.java:73)
     at org.eclipse.datatools.enablement.internal.oracle.JDBCOracleConnectionFactory.createConnection(JDBCOracleConnectionFactory.java:27)
     at org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.internal.ConnectionFactoryProvider.createConnection(ConnectionFactoryProvider.java:83)
     at org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.internal.ConnectionProfile.createConnection(ConnectionProfile.java:359)
     at org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.ui.PingJob.createTestConnection(PingJob.java:76)
     at org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.ui.PingJob.run(PingJob.java:59)
     at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:54)

This was work fine for months prior.

TNSPING also fails with the following:

TNS-12537: TNS:connection closed

But, I can connect to the DB using SQL+ as well as SQL Developer (latest version). However, SQL Developer does lose the connection often and/or prompts that db is too busy and whether to abort or try again.

Also, running my java code in my local webserver also fails with the SQLException ( Got minus one from a read call)

I enabled tracing on my laptop and tnsping tracing revealed the following error:

ntt2err: Read unexpected EOF ERROR on 1892

the listener.log on the server also reveals the following error, confirming my client isn't passing connect data i think..?

10-MAY-2013 15:08:31 * <unknown connect data> * (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=< my workstation IP >)(PORT=5831)) * establish * <unknown sid> * 12525
TNS-12525: TNS:listener has not received client's request in time allowed
TNS-12535: TNS:operation timed out
TNS-12606: TNS: Application timeout occurred

I am on our intranet, and DB is also on the intranet, so shouldn't be any firewalls between me and DB.

Any ideas? Anything else I can enable to log and trace?

Thanks for your help!

Stephane

Edited by: pl_sequel on May 10, 2013 3:19 PM

Edited by: pl_sequel on May 10, 2013 3:20 PM

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points