7 Replies Latest reply: May 12, 2013 11:40 AM by Jim Smith RSS

The Network Adapter could not establish connection

Status : Failure -Test failed: IO Error: The Network Adapter could not establish the connection

I am trying to use Oracle SQL Developer in MacBook Pro OS X 10.8.3 (12D78).

Connection Name: hr
      username: hr
      password: hr

HostName: localhost
      port: 1521
      SID: orcl

I do not know much about it, but my port configuration looks good. I tried changing connection name, username and password but didn't work. And I tried in Windows 8 too, same problem.

If you could give the detail way to get it fixed, it would wonderful.

Any help would be really appreciated.
        • 1. Re: The Network Adapter could not establish connection
          sb92075
          1005316 wrote:
          Status : Failure -Test failed: IO Error: The Network Adapter could not establish the connection
          sounds to me to be a case of OS/Networking misconfiguration.

>

I do not know much about it, but my port configuration looks good. I tried changing connection name, username and password but didn't work. And I tried in Windows 8 too, same problem.

If you could give the detail way to get it fixed, it would wonderful.

Any help would be really appreciated.
          can you ping both hostname & IP#?

post results of following OS commands

lsnrctl status
          lsnrctl service

COPY the results from above then PASTE all back here
          • 2. Re: The Network Adapter could not establish connection
            Jim Smith
            1005316 wrote:

Do you have Oracle Database installed on your MacBook? I doubt it as there isn't a supported database installation for OSX.

SQL Developer is just a client tool - it needs a database to connect to. As I said above there isn't a supported database installation for OSX. Either install a database on a windows machine accessible over the network, or put Windows in a VM on your MacBook and install Oracle XE , available here
            • 3. Re: The Network Adapter could not establish connection
              Last login: Sat May 11 16:58:40 on console
              MonoMackBook:~ monochapagai$ ping MonoMackBook.local
              PING monomackbook.local (192.168.1.6): 56 data bytes

64 bytes from 192.168.1.6: icmp_seq=12 ttl=64 time=0.113 ms

--- monomackbook.local ping statistics ---
              71 packets transmitted, 71 packets received, 0.0% packet loss
              round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 0.064/0.136/0.155/0.018 ms

MonoMackBook:~ monochapagai$ lsnrctl status
              -bash: lsnrctl: command not found
              MonoMackBook:~ monochapagai$ lsnrctl status
              -bash: lsnrctl: command not found

I tried couldn't figure it out. I was able to ping hostname and ip.
              • 4. Re: The Network Adapter could not establish connection
                I should be able to connect to Oracle's default or one that shown in tutorial right?

There is no Oracle Database for OS X. I mean Oracle Database 11g Express. And clearly states does not support 64 bits Windows. And couldn't run that either. I was unable to install Oracle XE in VM in OSX.

OKay...
                Installed VirtualBox and Windows XP Professional (64 bits).
                and Oracle_Developer_Day.ova got this from Oracle site and made it run

And Obviously the default is Oracle SQL Developer and Data Modeler that came with Oracle_Developer_Day.ova.

Tried all day but couldn't make it work and uninstalled it with no luck to save my memory.

And when I try to connect to SQL Developer that came with Oracle_Developer_Day.ova, it threw an error,

Login failed username/password invalid.
                • 5. Re: The Network Adapter could not establish connection
                  Jim Smith
                  1005316 wrote:
                  I should be able to connect to Oracle's default or one that shown in tutorial right?
                  Not unless you install one.
                  There is no Oracle Database for OS X. I mean Oracle Database 11g Express. And clearly states does not support 64 bits Windows. And couldn't run that either. I was unable to install Oracle XE in VM in OSX.

And when I try to connect to SQL Developer that came with Oracle_Developer_Day.ova, it threw an error,

Login failed username/password invalid.
                  Which means that you have connected to the database. Now you need to find out what the username and password to use. The documentation for the the deveoper day VM should tell you.
                  • 6. Re: The Network Adapter could not establish connection
                    Yes.

And how do I install Oracle Database 11g in my VM? I am looking to install Oracle Database 11g in my VM but all I got is SQL Developer right. And that is for client connection.
                    • 7. Re: The Network Adapter could not establish connection
                      Jim Smith
                      1005316 wrote:
                      Yes.
                      Yes to what?
                      And how do I install Oracle Database 11g in my VM? I am looking to install Oracle Database 11g in my VM but all I got is SQL Developer right. And that is for client connection.
                      If you got "invalid username or password" then you must have had a database installed. What is wrong with that?

If you want to start again from scratch. Download the appropriate version and run setup.exe. I suggest you read the installation manual and some of the introductory "2-day" manuals.