1 Reply Latest reply: May 10, 2013 5:29 PM by Frank Kulash RSS

Standard deviation

msb
      Dear All,

I have a requirement which needs to find AVG, MIN,MAX AND STDDEV.
      My flow of data would be raw data => one level of aggragation => 2nd level of aggregation => report.

Usually we calculate AVG, MIN and MAX value from 2nd level of aggregation to show in reports when i did STDDEV in 2nd level tables, the values are very high compared to AVG (Eg: Avg - 10.1 whereas STDDEV - 1100)

so anyone please suggest in which data we need to calculate STDDEV either in raw data or aggregated column.

Thanks in advance.
        • 1. Re: Standard deviation
          Frank Kulash
          Hi,

Whenever you have a question, please post a little sample data (CREATE TABLE and INSERT statements, relevant columns only) for all the tables involved, and the results you want from that data.
          Explain, using specific examples, how you get those results from that data.
          Post your existing query, too. Even if it's not exactly what you want, it can help.
          Always say what version of Oracle you're using (e.g. 11.2.0.2.0).
          See the forum FAQ {message:id=9360002}
          msb wrote:
          Dear All,

I have a requirement which needs to find AVG, MIN,MAX AND STDDEV.
          My flow of data would be raw data => one level of aggragation => 2nd level of aggregation => report.
          It's unclear why you are doing 2 levels of aggregation. This is one example of why you need to post some sample data and the desired results from that data.
          Usually we calculate AVG, MIN and MAX value from 2nd level of aggregation to show in reports when i did STDDEV in 2nd level tables, the values are very high compared to AVG (Eg: Avg - 10.1 whereas STDDEV - 1100)
          You know your data. You may know that, in this application, it's impossible to have an average of 10.1 and a standard deviation of 1100.
          The people who want to help you aren't nearly as familiar with your tables as you are. Out of context, there's nothing surprising about an average of 10.1 and a standard deviation of 1100. This is anther example of why you need to post some sample data and the correct results from that data.