7 Replies Latest reply: May 13, 2013 8:37 AM by Matthew Morris RSS

Will Oracle pl/sql certification help me get  IT job

Hello guys,
      I have completed my B.tech in Computer Science, I am confused a bit , Can i get a job after getting certified in Oracle Associate Pl/sql developer
        • 1. Re: Will Oracle pl/sql certification help me get  IT job
          bigdelboy
          1005323 wrote:
          Hello guys,
          I have completed my B.tech in Computer Science, I am confused a bit , Can i get a job after getting certified in Oracle Associate Pl/sql developer
          You may get a job after achieving Pl/sql developer OCA
          You may get a job after without achieving Pl/sql developer OCA
          You may fail to get a job after achieving Pl/sql developer OCA
          You may fail to get a job after without achieving Pl/sql developer OCA

There are several factors involved in getting a job. And there are several ways a job may be obtained. But usually there are there stages:
          - Stage Zero: A company but has a job to offer.
          - And you need to be aware of it. - A friend may tell you, or an agency may tell you. And it must suit you for location and remuneration etc.
          - Stage one: An interview is obtained with the company.
          - Stage two: The job is offered to you rather than anyone else and you find it acceptable.

So ... to your question:
          "Can i get a job after getting certified in Oracle Associate Pl/sql developer?"
          Well .... there is only three possible answers ... yes, no, and maybe; and maybe is probably the only correct answer, and most people will have worked this out, which means the question may have not been the best question to have asked.
          (( That said I now read the title of the thread and it says: Re: Will Oracle pl/sql certification help me get IT job)

I have been known on occasion to have been given a question by a boss.
          And I have answered him:
          "You have given me the wrong question
          The question you should have answer me is this.
          And the answer I will give you is this."
          And the boss goes away happy

So you you a better question would have been:

How much will an OCA PL/SQL certification increase my chances of getting a job?

Mind you even that question won't help you get a much better answer.

For a proportion of jobs where PL/SQL is relevant that will help (for those where it is not it might be occasionally be a problem), for people with identical CV's it sometimes might help get to interview stage. But there are other factors as well. For instance if I was thinking of giving you a job on the basis of your post I might for example:
          - Not be impressed with an "Hello Guys" greeting ( though this is a forum so that isn't relevant here).
          - Not be impressed with you being confused.
          - etc.

You probably need to get a good appreciation of the job market in your locality; and the numbers of applicants for each job. Which jobs you can apply for, what is your skillset and knowing youself as well.

Sometimes an ITIL certification may be a better differentiator for some positions in business. But it will depend on the job you can think you can get.
          • 2. Re: Will Oracle pl/sql certification help me get  IT job
            Philippe Ludwig
            I don't recommend you learning PL/SQL. PL/SQL is being phase-outed.

Go for Java (1Z0-803 Java SE 7 Programmer I)
            • 3. Re: Will Oracle pl/sql certification help me get  IT job
              bigdelboy
              Philippe Ludwig wrote:

Go for Java (1Z0-803 Java SE 7 Programmer I)
              I need to challange that post.

Please be aware this if the opinion of this poster.

As far as I am aware Pl/SQL will still be present in the upcoming Oracle 12c Database. And will be arround for decades yet.

However I might well accept demand for PL/SQL programmers is declining, but demand for good Java Programmers is increasing.

However I suspect some people cannot get on well with Java, and it may be possible Original Poster is one of those.

It is likely he/she was exposed to Java in his BTech, and I suspect she/he was already aware of Java Certifications.

I'm not going to get into a ding-dong about this ... I simply should not allow a complete scummering of PL/SQL. It certainly has its place.
              • 4. Re: Will Oracle pl/sql certification help me get  IT job
                Matthew Morris
                Can i get a job after getting certified in Oracle Associate Pl/sql developer
                Oracle certifications can provide an edge in obtaining a job. They do not guarantee you will obtain one. I've written a couple of relevant articles (below). The second talks about getting hired as a DBA, but the majority of the article is relevant to getting hired as a developer.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Will-Obtaining-an-Oracle-Certification-Be-Valuable-to-My-Career?&id=7204261

http://ezinearticles.com/?I-Just-Got-an-Oracle-Certification---How-Can-I-Get-Hired-As-a-DBA?&id=7057698
                • 5. Re: Will Oracle pl/sql certification help me get  IT job
                  Matthew Morris
                  Philippe Ludwig wrote:
                  I've heard this ever since the Java engine was added to Oracle several releases back. It's normally said by Java developers. It hasn't happened yet.

I still see lots of companies looking for PL/SQL programmers. I still receive lots of email from recruiters asking if I am interested in PL/SQL development positions. Java is a useful language to know. I dabble in it and occasionally consider becoming better with it. However, specializing in PL/SQL has not hurt my career at all. Becoming certified in both PL/SQL and Java would not be bad advice for a newbie, however.
                  • 6. Re: Will Oracle pl/sql certification help me get  IT job
                    Philippe Ludwig
                    I've heard this ever since the Java engine was added to Oracle several releases back. It's normally said by Java developers. It hasn't happened yet.
                    At this time Oracle was not owner of Java. I had in our company a session with an Oracle DB consultant and he told me don't learn PL/SQL, learn Java. That was his advice for a junior :-)
                    • 7. Re: Will Oracle pl/sql certification help me get  IT job
                      Matthew Morris
                      I had in our company a session with an Oracle DB consultant and he told me don't learn PL/SQL, learn Java. That was his advice for a junior
                      Philippe --

I can't (and won't try to) control the advice that you take. Had I been in the room with you and 'Consultant X' when he gave that advice, I would have offered countering advice. He and I might have gotten into a lively discussion about the subject. PL/SQL is deeply imbedded in tens of thousands of Oracle applications big and small worldwide. If it were to 'go away' then all of those apps would have to be re-written. We're talking about billions upon billions of dollars of effort in coding time. Not gonna happen anytime soon.

That said, I would never tell anyone to learn PL/SQL instead of Java any more than I would tell someone to study Java instead of PL/SQL. Both languages have a purpose and a following. Developers for both are in demand by companies and will be for years. Pick one (or both) and learn to develop code. By preference get certified in it (or them) as well so that you have something more than your unsupported word that you can develop code. Which you pick is less important than the fact that you have picked one and learned a valuable skill.

A few weeks ago you had a post where you asked if it was even worth learning Oracle because you had been told open source databases were the wave of the future. I had similar advice for you then. You are concerning yourself way too much with what skills and knowledge you think (i.e. people are telling you to think) will be in demand ten years from now and not enough about what skills and knowledge are in demand today. This is the IT industry. It changes. You will have to continually keep up with changes in technology over the course of your career, or you will be left behind. Here's the basic roadmap for newbies:

1. Learn the skills that will get you hired.
                      2. Get hired.
                      3. Learn the skills that will keep you employed.
                      4. Repeat 3.