7 Replies Latest reply: May 14, 2013 6:21 AM by Mahir M. Quluzade RSS

how data guard will decide whether to work in maximum protection or in max

hi gurus

i have a doubt related to protection mode of data guard. For configuring both maximum protection and maximum availability oracle uses the same syntax like ,

log_archive_dest_2='services=xxxxx LGWR SYNC AFFIRM

then how data guard will decide whether to work in maximum protection or in maximum availability mode ??

thanks for any guidance

Regards
      mahi
        • 1. Re: how data guard will decide whether to work in maximum protection or in max
          sb92075
          948287 wrote:
          hi gurus

i have a doubt related to protection mode of data guard. For configuring both maximum protection and maximum availability oracle uses the same syntax like ,

then how data guard will decide whether to work in maximum protection or in maximum availability mode ??

thanks for any guidance

Regards
          mahi
          when all else fails Read The Fine Manual

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e25608/protection.htm#CHDHFHJI
          • 2. Re: how data guard will decide whether to work in maximum protection or in max
            i went through most of the documents also the one you listed..

please clarify the concept instead of giving links
            • 3. Re: how data guard will decide whether to work in maximum protection or in max
              saratpvv
              hi gurus

thanks for any guidance

Regards
              mahi
              Yes based on LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_N parameter dataguard will decide in which mode it needs to work.
              See the below link
              http://www.oracledistilled.com/oracle-database/high-availability/data-guard/changing-the-data-guard-protection-mode/
              • 4. Re: how data guard will decide whether to work in maximum protection or in max
                Hemant K Chitale
                Please re-read the doc link that you were provided by sb92075.

See the command
                ALTER DATABASE -

SET STANDBY DATABASE TO MAXIMIZE {AVAILABILITY | PERFORMANCE | PROTECTION};
                Hemant K Chitale
                • 5. Re: how data guard will decide whether to work in maximum protection or in max
                  dear all,

i am asking about how oracle will decide whether to work in Maximum protection or in Maximum availability mode by setting a single line
                  log_archive_dest_2='services=xxxxx LGWR SYNC AFFIRM . if we are using the same syntax for configuring both maximum protection an maximum availability how it will work out??

please clear me if i m wrong
                  • 6. Re: how data guard will decide whether to work in maximum protection or in max
                    swapnil kambli
                    948287 wrote:
                    dear all,

i am asking about how oracle will decide whether to work in Maximum protection or in Maximum availability mode by setting a single line
                    log_archive_dest_2='services=xxxxx LGWR SYNC AFFIRM . if we are using the same syntax for configuring both maximum protection an maximum availability how it will work out??

please clear me if i m wrong
                    AFFIRM / NOAFFIRM Controls whether the redo destination acknowledges received redo data,but whether database is in PROTECTION or AVAILABILITY is decided by (documentation link and command given above..)
                    ALTER DATABASE SET STANDBY DATABASE TO MAXIMIZE {AVAILABILITY | PERFORMANCE | PROTECTION};
                    To have
                    SYNC AFFIRM
                    is minimum requirement for log_archive_dest_n in both mode.

Edited by: swapnil kambli on May 14, 2013 1:13 AM
                    • 7. Re: how data guard will decide whether to work in maximum protection or in max
                      Mahir M. Quluzade
                      948287 wrote:
                      hi gurus

thanks for any guidance

Regards
                      mahi
                      Hi Mahi!

Yes you are right, MAX PROTECTION AND MAXIMUM AVAILABILITY protection modes require same SYNC AFFIRM for log_archive_dest_n parameters.

If you want take effect of Protection mode, then you must change PROTECTION MODE as
                      ALTER DATABASE SET STANDBY DATABASE TO MAXIMIZE AVAILABILITY;  --- for max availabity
                      ALTER DATABASE SET STANDBY DATABASE TO MAXIMIZE PROTECTION;   --- for max protection 
                      See steps of change protection mode from documentation.

What is difference this protection mode?

Upon every commit, the NSS process on the primary database dutifully sends the committed redo blocks to the standby database,
                      and then waits till the RFS process on the standby receives them, writes them on disk on the standby (in standby redo logs or SRLs),
                      and then sends the acknowledgement back to the NSS process. Once LGWR hears back from NSS that life is good, the commit operation completes.

If network connection or standby database failed on MAXIMUM PROTECTION mode primary database is stopping (be hang).

On MAXIMUM AVAILABILITY primary database wait until NET_TIMEOUT (attribute of the log_archive_dest parameter corresponding to the standby).
                      and if problem is continue, then protection mode starting work as "MAX PERFORMANCE" and PROTECTION LEVEL is changing to RESYNCRONIZE.

Regards
                      Mahir M. Quluzade
                      http://www.mahir-quluzade.com