1 Reply Latest reply: May 12, 2013 8:27 AM by Chrisjenkins-Oracle RSS

Issue while installing TimesTen on the same machine as the Oracle DB.

Hi,

I am new to the TimesTen(TT) and facing the issue of installing TimesTen on the same machine as the Oracle DB(this is our project requirement ). I am trying to install on Solaris 32bit machine with 64GB RAM. When i installed only TT there is no issue. But I am not able to installed if I installed Oracle DB and after that I installed TimesTen on same machine.

Further if I tried to installed the TT with less size i.e.128MB along with oracle DB on same machine it installed successfully . But when i tried TimesTen with 16GB size it doesn't installed successfully along with oracle DB. Also, I tried to installed only TimesTen with size 16GB it installed without any error.

Could you please let me know what could be the possible reason for the above behavior.

Also i read in some threads in the same forum mentioning that "it is not recommend to installing TimesTen on the same machine as the Oracle DB as they can contend for resources (memory and CPU). Could you please elobrate more on this what kind of issues can possibly occur in this kind of scenario.

Please let me know in case more information is required.

Thanks in advance !!!

Regards,
      Sanjay
        • 1. Re: Issue while installing TimesTen on the same machine as the Oracle DB.
          Chrisjenkins-Oracle
          Can you please explain what you mean by 'install' in this context? Memory size is not an installation time option with TimesTen. It sounds to me like you mean 'am not able to configure a TimesTen database to use xxx MB/GB of memory' rather than 'unable to install TimesTen'?

With a 32-bit operating system the largest TimesTen database you will be able to create is 2 GB. If you need a larger TimesTen database then you need to run 64-bit TimesTen on a 64-bit OS.

It general it really isn't a good idea to run TimesTen on the same machine as the Oracle database. Perhaps you can share what your overall objectives are? WHat are you looking to achieve by using TimesTen? If we understand that we can give better advice.

Chris