3 Replies Latest reply: May 14, 2013 10:33 AM by Michael Ferrante-Oracle RSS

INB Automation Test, Java Upgrade Impact on INB forms

Our IT department uses INB forms (10g) and we do Java Upgrades (build or a complete version)
      In the past we had some problems (graphical or misplaced objects) due to the upgrade.
      Is there a way to identify the impact of a Java upgrade on an INB Form (some search criteria, even though they are binary files).
      We are also looking for a utility (freeware) to Automate INB Forms testing (functional or Unit).
      I know that OpenScript Utility (Oracle Application Testing Suite) needs a licensing.
      For PL/SQL testing, Pluto Framework does not need one.

Thanks in advance.

Joseph
        • 1. Re: INB Automation Test, Java Upgrade Impact on INB forms
          Michael Ferrante-Oracle
          You said:
          "In the past we had some problems (graphical or misplaced objects) due to the upgrade."
          An automated test isn't going to help much for GUI changes. This is something you need to review manually. Also, when you say "Java upgrade", are you referring to the client or mid tier? Changing the mid tier Java version will not change the appearance of the GUI on the client side. As for changing the Java version on the client side, if you are using a more current day Java version with your Forms 10 application (e.g. Java 6) then moving to a newer Java 6 version or even 7 will unlikely have any impact on the GUI. In the past, there were issues with upgrading from old Java versions like 1.3 to newer because Sun (at that time) needed to make changes to that part of Java. If you are already on one of the newer versions then you should not see any change since nothing significant has been changed in more recent versions. Regardless, manual, human testing should be performed in order to ensure that the GUI part of your application is the way you expect it.
          • 2. Re: INB Automation Test, Java Upgrade Impact on INB forms
            Our Java upgrade involves the client side. JRE.
            I will separate my questions:

1) Is there a way to identify which INB forms (from our total INB forms) are impacted by a java client upgrade (JRE), or do we have to test all of them?.
            2) Is there a freeware tool for INB Forms Automated Testing (other than OpenScript Functional/Unit testing)?

Thanks,
            Joseph
            • 3. Re: INB Automation Test, Java Upgrade Impact on INB forms
              Michael Ferrante-Oracle
              1) Is there a way to identify which INB forms (from our total INB forms) are impacted by a java client upgrade (JRE), or do we have to test all of them?.
              <blockquote>No. But as I mentioned, unless you have users running very old Java versions (client) then you should not have any issues. If you do have users who may be using old versions of Oracle Jinitiator (older than 1.3.1.30) then they may see some changes in GUI objects when moving to Java 6 or Java 7 in the newer Forms versions. Because the issue is visual on the client side and really has nothing to do with Forms directly, the only way I can imagine understanding if there are issues or not would be to manually review each form at runtime. </blockquote>
              2) Is there a freeware tool for INB Forms Automated Testing (other than OpenScript Functional/Unit testing)?
              <blockquote>There are numerous testing tools on the market, however I am unaware of any that are free.</blockquote>