3 Replies Latest reply: May 16, 2013 2:41 AM by Gary Graham-Oracle RSS

SQL Developer

Good morning Guys, I am trying to install a sql developer so I can practice my Pl/sql skills. I downloaded and try to install the developer then it ask me for a database. I dowloaded and install the Oracle 11g database. When i try to run the developer it is now asking me to "enter full pathname for Java.exe".

Where do i find Java.exe?
      Do I need a database to practice riting pl/sql codes?

Thanks

Aldin
        • 1. Re: SQL Developer
          Gary Graham-Oracle
          Hi Aldin,
          Where do i find Java.exe?
          You need to point to java.exe from a Java JDK, not a JRE, which (on Windows) by default installs under...
          1. C:\Program Files\Java\ <-- 32-bit JDK on 32-bit Windows, or 64-bit JDK on 64-bit Windows
          2. C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\ <-- 32-bit JDK on 64-bit Windows

If you do not find it installed, download and install the appropriate version for your OS and SQL Developer version from here:
          http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jdk6downloads-1902814.html
          Do I need a database to practice writing pl/sql codes?
          Yes, and installing an Oracle 11g database is one way to get one. For more options...
          http://www.thatjeffsmith.com/archive/2012/12/i-have-oracle-sql-developer-installed-now-what/

Regards,
          Gary
          SQL Developer Team
          • 2. Re: SQL Developer
            Thank you very much!!! I have installed the java file and my developer loads. I have downloaded the 11g XE version and start the session and created a table using command line. The challenge is that the developer does not connect with the database. These are the info i entered in the developer:

hostname: localhost
            port: 1521
            sid : xe

I created a user and password in the 11g database, i used that user name and password along with a generic connection name and i dot this error:
            "status" Failure-test failed: listener refused the connection with the following error: ORA-12505, TNS; listener does not currently know....."

Here are som settings:
            SID_LIST_LISTENER =
            (SID_LIST =
            (SID_DESC =
            (SID_NAME = PLSExtProc)
            (ORACLE_HOME = C:\oraclexe\app\oracle\product\11.2.0\server)
            (PROGRAM = extproc)
            )
            (SID_DESC =
            (SID_NAME = CLRExtProc)
            (ORACLE_HOME = C:\oraclexe\app\oracle\product\11.2.0\server)
            (PROGRAM = extproc)
            )
            )

LISTENER =
            (DESCRIPTION_LIST =
            (DESCRIPTION =
            (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = IPC)(KEY = EXTPROC1))
            (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = Sherene-PC)(PORT = 1521))
            )
            )

DEFAULT_SERVICE_LISTENER = (XE)
            --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            XE =
            (DESCRIPTION =
            (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = Sherene-PC)(PORT = 1521))
            (CONNECT_DATA =
            (SERVER = DEDICATED)
            (SERVICE_NAME = XE)
            )
            )

EXTPROC_CONNECTION_DATA =
            (DESCRIPTION =
            (ADDRESS_LIST =
            )
            (CONNECT_DATA =
            (SID = PLSExtProc)
            (PRESENTATION = RO)
            )
            )

ORACLR_CONNECTION_DATA =
            (DESCRIPTION =
            (ADDRESS_LIST =
            )
            (CONNECT_DATA =
            (SID = CLRExtProc)
            (PRESENTATION = RO)
            )
            )
            ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
            # This file is actually generated by netca. But if customers choose to
            # install "Software Only", this file wont exist and without the native
            # authentication, they will not be able to connect to the database on NT.

SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES = (NTS)

how do i fix this?

What is required in the industry, the command line coding or the sql developer?

Thanks Aldin

Edited by: 1006128 on May 16, 2013 12:00 AM
            • 3. Re: SQL Developer
              Gary Graham-Oracle
              The next step is to check your listener or listeners. The default name for the listener is LISTENER. Run these from a command line console window:
              lsnrctl status <listener-name>
              lsnrctl services <listener-name>
              You should look for services using protocol=tcp. Is a service for XE on port 1521 listed with protocol=tcp? If not, you need to configure your listener.ora and tnsnames.ora files correctly. If the XE service exists but did not register dynamically with the listener, you can issue alter system register using the SYS user from SQL*Plus to register it.

If this advice is still not enough to move you forward, you will probably get a better response from the Oracle Database -> General Questions forum:
              General Database Discussions

-Gary

Edited by: Gary Graham on May 16, 2013 12:39 AM
              And why not user Sherene-PC as the host in the connection definition?