5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 17, 2013 6:41 PM by User576656-OC

Using AME in iProcurement for dynamic approver limits

Amit J
      Hello Friends,

I have a requirement to configure AME for Requisition approval in iProcurement such that i should not hardcode the amount limit in the rules. e.g. rule should not be like 0$ < Req Amount < 100$.The limits can change annually and therefore this change is required.

Now i am thinking to use approval groups in Oracle purchasing for this purpose but i am not sure whether we can do it in AME. Any idea whether we can link both the things?

Other alternative is maintaining approval limits in lookups and fetching that value through a custom attribute in AME.

Your thoughts?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Regards,
      Amit
        • 1. Re: Using AME in iProcurement for dynamic approver limits
          Amit, are you running r12.0? I've been told that AME isn't stable for this particular release and is therefore not recommended.

We use approval groups for our signing authority. They key off the job code of the employee, so if you have a generic HR structure this is a pretty easy option. I think it is easier to maintain than AME.
          • 2. Re: Using AME in iProcurement for dynamic approver limits
            Amit J
            Hello,

Thanks for the reply. We are on 11i.

We have to use AME as approver list has many dynamic approvers which needs to be added through approver groups. If we want to make the limits dynamic in AME rules , what is the best solution?

Thanks.

Regards,
            Amit
            • 3. Re: Using AME in iProcurement for dynamic approver limits
              Abhi83
              Hi Amit,

Whenever we want to extend AME to be more flexible for the "Business User (The person who does not have Approvals Management Business Analyst responsibility)" Its always recommended to take a Lookup Route. You can define a User Lookup storing the Upper limit and Lower limit with description for each case.

Use this lookup to extract this on to the REQUISITION_TOTAL attribute using a customization. This would be my take, I will leave it on the forum for a better solution.

Rgds
              Abhi
              1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Using AME in iProcurement for dynamic approver limits
                Amit J
                Hello Abhi,

Thanks a lot for your reply.

Yes you are right, we can use lookups to maintain the approval limits. However there are probably two ways in which we can proceed.

1st Approach :

We make one AME rule and put all the approver groups in the same rule. Then based on the requisition amount and the approval limit of approver , approver groups will be populated and approval list will be generated. There will be empty approver groups. Calculation of requisition total and approver approval limit will be handled by the Pl/SQL code.

2nd Approach :

We make custom AME attributes to store the approval limit for each approver and make different rules and compare requisition total with these custom attributes and accordingly approval list will be generated.

I think 2nd approach is better from debugging perspective. What is your take on the approaches? Thanks !

Rgds,
                Amit
                • 5. Re: Using AME in iProcurement for dynamic approver limits
                  User576656-OC

Amit,

1. You can create an AME attribute RequisitionTotal .
                  2. Then create a condition if RequisitionTotal > 0 and less than 100.
                  3. You can then create a rule where this condition is applied.

AJ