This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply: Jul 17, 2013 10:52 AM by EB RSS

Primary and Standby version

EB Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hii All
do Primary with version is 11.2.0.1 and standby with 11.2.0.3 work together successfully ?

Best Regards
  • 1. Re: Primary and Standby version
    Acooper Explorer
    No they do not.
  • 2. Re: Primary and Standby version
    951839 Newbie
    No, the version should be same.
  • 3. Re: Primary and Standby version
    MahirM.Quluzade Guru
    EB wrote:
    Hii All
    do Primary with version is 11.2.0.1 and standby with 11.2.0.3 work together successfully ?

Best Regards
    Hi,

Documentation say : The COMPATIBLE initialization parameter must be set to the same value on all databases in a Data Guard configuration.
    As you know 11.2.0.1 and 11.2.0.3 version of database compatible is same 11.2.0.0.0
    It means you can use this versions together in same Data Guard configuration.

But for best practice you must use same version and same patchset databases in Data Guard.

I want share with you, my test environment.

On Primary Side
    SQL> select *  from v$version;

BANNER
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oracle Database 11g Enterprise Edition Release 11.2.0.1.0 - 64bit Production
    PL/SQL Release 11.2.0.1.0 - Production
    CORE    11.2.0.1.0      Production
    TNS for 64-bit Windows: Version 11.2.0.1.0 - Production
    NLSRTL Version 11.2.0.1.0 - Production

SQL> select db_unique_name from v$database;

DB_UNIQUE_NAME
    ------------------------------
    prmdb

SQL> select max(Sequence#) from v$archived_log;

MAX(SEQUENCE#)
    --------------

SQL> alter system switch logfile;

System altered.

SQL> select max(Sequence#) from v$archived_log;

MAX(SEQUENCE#)
    --------------

SQL> show parameter compatible

NAME                                 TYPE        VALUE
    ------------------------------------ ----------- ------------------------------
    compatible                           string      11.2.0.0.0
    SQL> select database_role from v$database;

DATABASE_ROLE
    ----------------
    PRIMARY
    On Standby Side
    SQL> select *  from v$version;

BANNER
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oracle Database 11g Enterprise Edition Release 11.2.0.3.0 - 64bit Production
    PL/SQL Release 11.2.0.3.0 - Production
    CORE    11.2.0.3.0      Production
    TNS for 64-bit Windows: Version 11.2.0.3.0 - Production
    NLSRTL Version 11.2.0.3.0 - Production

SQL> select name, db_unique_name from v$database;

NAME      DB_UNIQUE_NAME
    --------- ------------------------------
    PRMDB     dbstb

SQL> select max(Sequence#) from  v$archived_log where applied='YES';

MAX(SEQUENCE#)
    --------------

MAX(SEQUENCE#)
    --------------

MAX(SEQUENCE#)
    --------------

SQL> show parameter compatible

NAME                                 TYPE        VALUE
    ------------------------------------ ----------- ------------------------------
    compatible                           string      11.2.0.0.0
    SQL> select database_role from v$database;

DATABASE_ROLE
    ----------------
    PHYSICAL STANDBY

SQL>
    Regards
    Mahir M. Quluzade
  • 4. Re: Primary and Standby version
    EB Newbie
    Hi Mahir
    I read that you noticed from documentation before but I asked to be sure and know your personal expriences.I gonna try with different versions with same compatible parameter
    Thanks alot for your helps

Best Regards
  • 5. Re: Primary and Standby version
    MahirM.Quluzade Guru
    EB wrote:
    Hi Mahir
    I read that you noticed from documentation before but I asked to be sure and know your personal expriences.I gonna try with different versions with same compatible parameter

Best Regards
    You can try. I showed before reply, working well.

Regards
    Mahir M. Quluzade
    http://www.mahir-quluzade.com
  • 6. Re: Primary and Standby version
    CKPT Guru
    Mahir M. Quluzade wrote:
    EB wrote:
    Hi Mahir

Best Regards

Regards
    Mahir M. Quluzade
    Here the the question wasn't clear whether OP looking for Physical standby database or logical standby database.
    For Physical standby database, mixed versions aren't supported

Mahir statement applicables only for logical standby , where mixed versions are supported with the compatible settings.
  • 7. Re: Primary and Standby version
    MahirM.Quluzade Guru
    CKPT wrote:
    Mahir M. Quluzade wrote:
    EB wrote:
    Hi Mahir

Best Regards

Regards
    Mahir M. Quluzade
    Here the the question wasn't clear whether OP looking for Physical standby database or logical standby database.
    For Physical standby database, mixed versions aren't supported
    Hi my friend!

Yes, I aggree with you, because Data Guard configuration require same COMPATIBILITY.
    Mahir statement applicables only for logical standby , where mixed versions are supported with the compatible settings.
    Yes there have write :

The COMPATIBLE database initialization parameter must be set to the same value on all databases in a Data Guard configuration,
    except when using a logical standby database, which can have a higher COMPATIBLE setting than the primary database.

Why higher COMPATIBLE ? IF you are using old version, then SQL Apply may not support new features of new version.

Thanks you my friend for your reply.
    Mahir

Edited by: Mahir M. Quluzade on May 17, 2013 5:37 PM
  • 8. Re: Primary and Standby version
    EB Newbie
    Hi all
    Sorry for unclear question actually I mean physical standby database.
    Best Regards
  • 9. Re: Primary and Standby version
    CKPT Guru
    Yes there have write :

The COMPATIBLE database initialization parameter must be set to the same value on all databases in a Data Guard configuration,
    except when using a logical standby database, which can have a higher COMPATIBLE setting than the primary database.

Why higher COMPATIBLE ? IF you are using old version, then SQL Apply may not support new features of new version.
    Hmm, i mentioed mixed versions are supported with the compatible settings, it doesn't mean that compaitblity version should be higher on logical standby.
    We can have higher version of logical standbyd database with same compatibility, As you said it may need it can work with 11.2.0.0.0 even though if you are using 11.2.0.3.0

Upon seraching found The RDBMS COMPATIBLE parameter values must remain the same between the primary and physical standby systems in detail you can check *1265700.1*
  • 10. Re: Primary and Standby version
    MahirM.Quluzade Guru
    CKPT wrote:
    Yes there have write :

Hmm, i mentioed mixed versions are supported with the compatible settings, it doesn't mean that compaitblity version should be higher on logical standby.
    "Old version" it means lower compatibility.
    We can have higher version of logical standbyd database with same compatibility, As you said it may need it can work with 11.2.0.0.0 even though if you are using 11.2.0.3.0
    Yes. It means this same version and same release.
    Upon seraching found The RDBMS COMPATIBLE parameter values must remain the same between the primary and physical standby systems in detail you can check *1265700.1*
    Thanks for sharing MOS note.

Mahir
  • 11. Re: Primary and Standby version
    EB Newbie
    Hii All
    Thanks alot for your attention

In ID 785347.1
    Physical Standby
    Mixed Version Support to a Data Guard Physical Standby is NOT supported.

Note: Starting with 11.2.0.1 it is possible to have a Physical Standby at a higher Patchlevel (Patch, CPU, PSU, BP) when the README of the Patch states that it is valid for Standby First Patching. Please see "Oracle Patch Assurance - Data Guard Standby-First Patch Apply (Doc ID 1265700.1)" for more information.

Note that in the supported Cases, the Primary/Source Database is at a lower version, and the Standby/Target Database is at a higher Version.

Best Regards
  • 12. Re: Primary and Standby version
    MahirM.Quluzade Guru
    EB wrote:
    Hii All
    Thanks alot for your attention

In ID 785347.1
    Physical Standby
    Mixed Version Support to a Data Guard Physical Standby is NOT supported.
    Yes, this means you can't use different versions in data guard configuration, for example : Oracle Database 11 g R2 (Compatible - 11.2.0.1) And Oracle Database 10g R2 (Compatible - 10.2.0.5)
    You can use only same or higher compatible, for example Oracle Database 11g R2 (11.2.0.0) and Oracle Database 11g R2 (11.2.0.3). This databases versions is same 11.2,
    but COMPATIBLE is same 11.2.0.0. As you know, if you install Oracle Database 11g R2 version, then COMPATIBLE parameter setting to default 11.2.0.0.
    It mean 11.2.0.3 and 11.2.0.1 is same COMPATIBLE, and you can use this databases same data guard configuration, before reply I wrote example.
    Note: Starting with 11.2.0.1 it is possible to have a Physical Standby at a higher Patchlevel (Patch, CPU, PSU, BP) when the
    README of the Patch states that it is valid for Standby First Patching. Please see "Oracle Patch Assurance - Data Guard Standby-First Patch Apply (Doc ID 1265700.1)" for more information.
    Thanks for sharing MOS note:

There write
    Announcement:

Oracle Data Guard Standby-First Patch Apply is supported for certified software patches for Oracle Database Enterprise Edition Release 2 (11.2) release 11.2.0.1 and later.
    Refer to the README for the patch to determine if a target patch is certified as being a Standby-First Patch.
    The RDBMS COMPATIBLE parameter values must remain the same between the primary and physical standby systems. The ASM COMPATIBLE settings can be different.

>
    Note that in the supported Cases, the Primary/Source Database is at a lower version, and the Standby/Target Database is at a higher Version.
    This MOS note Applies to : Oracle Database - Enterprise Edition - Version 11.2.0.1 to 11.2.0.3 [Release 11.2]
    It means same version 11.2, but different COMPATIBLE.

See more information about COMPATIBLE : http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e23633/intro.htm

Regards
    Mahir M. Quluzade
  • 13. Re: Primary and Standby version
    EB Newbie

Hii Mahir

I completed scenario as before discussed

primary is working on 11.2.0.1 standby is working on 11.2.0.3 and log shipping from primary to standby working well.

But when I try open standby I am receiving the following error

ERROR at line 1:

ORA-01092: ORACLE instance terminated. Disconnection forced

ORA-00704: bootstrap process failure

ORA-39700: database must be opened with UPGRADE option

Have you idea ?what happen if I open standby with upgrade option ?

Best Regards

• 14. Re: Primary and Standby version
    MahirM.Quluzade Guru

yes, because your standby home 11.2.0.3 but all  database file 11.2.0.1 compatible,

if you  want open them you must use startup upgrade.

1 2 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points