5 Replies Latest reply on May 23, 2013 3:08 PM by Kgronau-Oracle

DG4ODBC - oracle to sybase

user13347830
      Hello Experts,

I want to make a connection from oracle server to sybase.

My oracle server is windows 2003 EE , 32 bit
      Sybase server is windows standard edition, 64 bit..

I found 2 documents on support.oracle.com

Note 1266572.1 entitled - How to Setup DG4ODBC (Oracle Database Gateway for ODBC) on 64bit Windows Operating Systems

Note ID 466225.1 How to Configure DG4ODBC (Oracle Database Gateway for ODBC) on Windows 32bit to Connect to Non-Oracle Databases Post Install

Which document should I follow ? Where do I have to install the DG4ODBC software , on oracle server or syabase server ?

which would be a suitable 3rd party ODBC driver ?

Thanks
        • 1. Re: DG4ODBC - oracle to sybase
          Kgronau-Oracle
          You can configure DG4ODBC either on the Windows machine or on the Sybase box. It really depends on your preferences and for which platform you have a Sybase ODBC driver. Sybase commonly ships their own ODBC driver for Windows which is working fine in general.
          When setting up DG4ODBC on the 32bit Windows box you have to get the 32bit DG4ODBC release and I would recommend 11.2.0.3. In addition you need a working 32bit ODBC driver on this machine and the note you have to follow is
          Note ID 466225.1 How to Configure DG4ODBC (Oracle Database Gateway for ODBC) on Windows 32bit to Connect to Non-Oracle Databases Post Install

When you want to configure DG4ODBC on the 64bit Sybase machine then you need to use the 64bit DG4ODBC installation (here also please use 11.2.0.3) which requires a 64bit Sybase ODBC driver and the instructions you need to follow are documented in the note: Note 1266572.1 entitled - How to Setup DG4ODBC (Oracle Database Gateway for ODBC) on 64bit Windows Operating Systems

So you see, the word size of DG4ODBC depends on the operating system (64bit OS requires 64bit DG4ODBC and 32bit OS requires 32bit Dg4ODBC) and a matching ODBC driver with the same word size as DG4ODBC and the operating system. Depending on the word size of Dg4ODBC you need to chose the correct installation note.

- Klaus
          • 2. Re: DG4ODBC - oracle to sybase
            user13347830
            Thanks Klaus .. Much Appreciated !!

That clears my doubts about installation ..

I'm have installed 11.2.0.3 DG4ODBC on the oracle server which is on Windows 32 bit .

Do you know where will I get free 32bit ODBC driver that is v3 compliant ? any website that i can download for free or do we need to buy it ?

Thanks ,
            Vishal
            • 3. Re: DG4ODBC - oracle to sybase
              Kgronau-Oracle
              Commonly the Sybase driver shipped with Sybase 15 is V3 compliant. So when you install the latest Sybase client version you get also a compliant driver installed. A commercial vendor who sells suitable drivers is for example DataDirect (www.datadirect.com)
              • 4. Re: DG4ODBC - oracle to sybase
                user13347830
                This means I also have to install latest sybase client version 15 on the oracle server , so that I get the v3 compliant driver free of cost , am I correct ?

Thanks ,
                Vishal
                • 5. Re: DG4ODBC - oracle to sybase
                  Kgronau-Oracle
                  yes, just install the latest 32bit Sybase client (make sure to check the ODBC option) on the Oracle gateway server - then define an ODBC DSN based on the Sybase driver.

- Klaus
                  1 person found this helpful