This discussion is archived
6 Replies Latest reply: May 17, 2013 5:38 AM by JulianG RSS

Steps to repair SVM on rootdisk

JulianG Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi - I have a T2000 server that failed to boot after patching, I booted from "disk1" so it's running again as it was prior to patching just that I have no disk redundancy now. My question is does anyone have any steps on how I can setup SVM again? At present I have:

df -h |grep dsk
/dev/dsk/c0t1d0s0 12G 8.8G 3.0G 75% /
/dev/dsk/c0t1d0s3 3.9G 3.0G 897M 78% /var
/dev/md/dsk/d7 33G 17G 15G 53% /logs
/dev/dsk/c0t1d0s5 17G 272M 16G 2% /export
/dev/dsk/c0t3d0s0 135G 2.9G 130G 3% /export/zones

The only partition I didn't split prior to patching was /logs

I have a few ideas on what I should be doing but could do with guidance if anyone has done this in the past, my main concern is I don't have console access to this server so working remotely and if I reboot this server again I need to make sure it's going to come back up.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks - Julian.
  • 1. Re: Steps to repair SVM on rootdisk
    Reidod Explorer
    Hello,

As I understand, you want to mirror (RAID1) the root disk using SVM? If yes, you need a spare disk with the same size of the root disk.

If you assume that all below file systems should be mirrored follow this procedure:

/
    /var
    /logs
    /export

1. Prepare the spare disk by having the same VTOC as your current root disk:
    #prtvtoc /dev/dsk/c0t1d0s2 > /tmp/c0t1d0s2.txt
    #fmthard -s /tmp/c0t1d0s2.txt /dev/dsk/<sparedisk>

2. Create state database replicas (if they do not exist):
    #metadb -f -a <slice> //creates 1 state replica, at least 3 must exist
    #metadb //print state database replicas

3. Create metadevices:
    mirror /var filesystem
    #metainit -f d11 1 1 c0t1d0s3
    #metainit -f d12 1 1 <slice on spare disk>
    #metainit d10 -m d11
    edit the /etc/vfstab by replacing the /var line to use metadevices:
    /dev/md/dsk/d10 /dev/md/rdsk/d10

4. Repeat step 3 for each non root filesystem by creating new metadevices.

5. Reboot

6. After reboot issue:
    #metattach d10 d12 //create a mirror volume

For the root file system you should use the metaroot command so the system uses metadevices to boot.

There is also useful guide on Solaris library on how to do it, but basically this is the procedure for full mirroring the root disk using SVM.

Regards,
    Rei

Edited by: Reidod on May 17, 2013 1:24 PM
  • 2. Re: Steps to repair SVM on rootdisk
    JulianG Newbie
    Thanks - so these are just the standard steps, I was more concerned with the fact that the server was previously mirrored using SVM. Has been patched but failed so I've had to boot from "disk1" after splitting the disk mirrors. And now are there any additional or special steps I need to carry out to get this setup again? Basically I want to get the server back to the state it was in prior to the prior failure.

Julian.
  • 3. Re: Steps to repair SVM on rootdisk
    rukbat Guru Moderator
    799786 wrote:
    Hi - I have a T2000 server that failed to boot after patching, I booted from "disk1" so it's running again
    So, is this new thread a new issue or is it a continuation of your original thread?
    T2000 won't boot after patching

If it is a continuation, you should have kept all your communication in the same original thread.
    As time passes, future readers will lose all sense of what you've been experiencing as the forum threads become separated and the relevance of their content "lost" by that separation.

At least be polite and compose references to this new thread and post it to your earlier one, so that people can understand what you've done. You were given assistance there and those forum contributors need to know whether their efforts were of any value.
  • 4. Re: Steps to repair SVM on rootdisk
    Reidod Explorer
    Hi,

Can you post the output of the metastat command?
  • 5. Re: Steps to repair SVM on rootdisk
    JulianG Newbie
    I actually thought asking this as part of my original thread you refer to would muddy the waters, so didn't. Feel free to move this, bin it, merge it whatever.

Thanks.
  • 6. Re: Steps to repair SVM on rootdisk
    JulianG Newbie
    Apologies ignore this thread - refer to T2000 won't boot after patching where I've answered my own question ... ;-)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points