3 Replies Latest reply: May 22, 2013 2:20 AM by fac586 RSS

will apex_application.stop_apex_engine affect other users to use that APEX?

lxiscas
      Hi, guys:

I wonder if I call apex_application.stop_apex_engine to execute wpg_docload.download_file in order to download RTF file, would it affect other users to use that APEX application at the same time? I checked the article and did experiment, I think it won't, but I still want to get your comments about it.

http://www.talkapex.com/2011/12/apexapplicationstopapexengine.html

APEX 4.1
      Oracle 11G R2

appreciate your advice!

Sam

Edited by: lxiscas on May 17, 2013 9:34 AM

Edited by: lxiscas on May 17, 2013 9:35 AM
        • 1. Re: will apex_application.stop_apex_engine affect other users to use that APEX?
          VC
          lxiscas wrote:
          Hi, guys:

I wonder if I call apex_application.stop_apex_engine to execute wpg_docload.download_file in order to download RTF file, would it affect other users to use that APEX application at the same time? I checked the article and did experiment, I think it won't, but I still want to get your comments about it.
          No it doesn't affect other users it only affects the current session
          • 2. Re: will apex_application.stop_apex_engine affect other users to use that APEX?
            lxiscas
            Hi, VC:

Could you give me more detail about the affects on current session? as I found I have no problem to get to other pages through navigation, and I can still use the current page. The apex_application.stop_apex_engine is called at last in the procedure. and the procedure is called when user click one of two links.

Sam

Edited by: lxiscas on May 21, 2013 3:02 PM
            • 3. Re: will apex_application.stop_apex_engine affect other users to use that APEX?
              fac586
              lxiscas wrote:

Could you give me more detail about the affects on current session? as I found I have no problem to get to other pages through navigation, and I can still use the current page. The apex_application.stop_apex_engine is called at last in the procedure. and the procedure is called when user click one of two links.
              I think the API documentation and Martin's post fully cover the effects on the current "session" ("request" would be a more accurate term). Is there something specific that's bothering you?

<tt>apex_application.stop_apex_engine</tt> does not exert any global control over APEX or the current session (see +{thread:id=2401000}+ for previous discussion on this). It simply stops further APEX page processing of the current request. This is necessary because you want to send the contents of a downloaded file, or redirect it to a new resource, not display an APEX page.